Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking there will be a place that the community sets up to dump waste after shtf. I'm hoping this would be the case because can you imagine the pileup of waste and the terrible sanitation as a result after the shtf? I think buring it somehow would be a good idea to keep down bacteria.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Hopefully you have a patio and can poop off that :)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Store lots of bleach. I saw some new water containers that can be used as portable toilets after the water is used. That may be an option. They are not very expensive. Cheaper that a plastic 5 gallon water container. http://www.beprepared.com Look under water containers. I think they are having a sale on them now.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Plastic walmart bags and a 5 gallon bucket, I think they make toilet seats to fit 5 gallon buckets too...

Reactions: paraquack

·
Registered
292 Posts
good question man. This is a topic I was trying to figure out how to address on youtube. I would say keep two 5 gallon buckets one filled with dirt and the other one to "soil" in. keep it outside with the lid. every time you go, take some of the dirt and cover it up with a layer when the dirt kinda like a litter box. after you have filled it up take the 5 gallon can of manure and bury it somewhere. I have a small storage closet I would probly keep the cans in there and some candles and use it like a out house. maybe even toss tomato or jalapeno seeds where I bury the "compost" I won't plant anything just drop them there and see if anything happens, ever see the grass and trees around a water treatment plants? hopefully this will work because sanitation will be a huge problem maybe as wide spread as food shortages but way more dangerous. it could get in your water and your history.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The problem of waste is verry hard to answer,just because you prepare for it does not mean others around you will.
Disease will spread in the cities no matter what you yourself do. There are toilets at the hardware or big box stores that compost or burn humane waste
The problem being the longer you sit the more waste acumulates around you. Rats ,mosquitos and insects such as flies will carry many diseases. Cats and dogs will run in packs or become feral. These things can not be changed so getting out of the cities should be a priority in my opinion. Bugging in should not be a long term plan if these things are not taken into concideration.
Hopeing not to offend any one but like I said this is my opinion
Hobo

·
Registered
50 Posts
As far as disposing of human waste and other home waste, composting should be the easiest most efficient way of doing so. I know most people don't like the idea of composting human waste, but if done correctly it should be more benigicial and more sanitary than most ideas other than creating working plumbing.

·
Registered
44 Posts
As far as disposing of human waste and other home waste, composting should be the easiest most efficient way of doing so. I know most people don't like the idea of composting human waste, but if done correctly it should be more benigicial and more sanitary than most ideas other than creating working plumbing.
Yeah, this. I figure I'll be doing compost toilets after SHTF. They're used here in the UK at a lot of the campsites and stuff I go to, not particularly pleasant but just fine, and ends up with perfectly usable compost. This seems like such an obvious and useful solution, I figured it was what everyone was planning, somehow.

·
Banned
62 Posts
there's going to be thousands of dead people, cats, dogs, etc, all over the place, which makes a helluva disease vector, on top of the waste. Nobody is going to be digging latrines when people are shooting at everyone they see, in the hopes of taking the guy's gear, or even to eat his flesh. I'm going to be below ground. Pee into a large mouthed bottle, solid wastes into the soil in the corner. Each night, dig up and bag/bucket the latter, take all wastes out and dispose of them, along with getting more water. Then back into the hole for another 24 hours. It will take a year for most of the fighting and diseases to pass by, but the Viet Cong lived like that for THIRTY YEARS, not just one year. Read a book, THE TUNNELS OF CU CHI. Also read MY THIRTY YEAR WAR, by the last of the Ww2 Japanese "holdouts".

·
Registered
44 Posts
there's going to be thousands of dead people, cats, dogs, etc, all over the place, which makes a helluva disease vector, on top of the waste. Nobody is going to be digging latrines when people are shooting at everyone they see, in the hopes of taking the guy's gear, or even to eat his flesh.
Good point, well made.

·
Banned
62 Posts
A guy using a latrine is the classic sniper's target, cause the sniper knows that the guy is going to be holding STILL for a minute or so.

·
Registered
104 Posts
If people HAVE to bunker in an apartment for no other place to go, I would say compost on a balcony or roof top if accessible. Im going past that as well and going to work on getting some dinnerware that is made out of organic fallen leaves... they are great to eat on, can be put in the microwave, oven (up to a point and if you have it working), and well, will compost. Add that to your compost bucket when your done eating etc..no water to waste on dishes and you have more to mix in the compost without having to go outside... if that makes sense.. I know its not the best idea, but it does help. If I can do something before shtf to have a place to go where we do all that you all are doing, then great, otherwise, we will be bunking in our apartment... (2 family home)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just to define what I'm imagining at this point....
Bugging in, or SIP
No power /water
Suburban area
Neighborhood is mostly intact, getting aid to some degree in the form of water /food

If that's the situation being planned for, I'd be sure to include lots of garbage bags. 13 gallon bags will fits a 5 gallon bucket, and a butt lid is easily bought ahead of time.

Install 2 bags, one in the other. Seed the inner bag with saw dust, do business, add saw dust. No saw dust? Newspaper and then dirt. Toss in some lemon or other deodorized if you want. Febreeze perhaps.

Repeat until it's a bit more than half full. Shit gets heavy, ya know? Tie it off well, then tie off the other bag. The double bag helps "accidents", and they are cheap to buy now and easy to store in a small space.

Cart the waste away, to a field, abandoned building, communally agreed upon dump zone or other crappy spot. If the dump area is a field, dirt can be piled up against the piles over time.

Latrines are a pain to dig and eventually have to be filled in, and re-dug. I'd rather dig just once, to get dirt to put in the bag. I'd also rather do my business indoors.

Just my lil opinions

·
8,976 Posts
I hope that with the resulting drop in population after a SHTF event human waste would be a little less of a problem. While prepared for short term (< a year) I used to have a plan to deal with long term. Being in AZ, I need to rethink and come up with a new long term plan. As far as other waste, garbage will probably be reduced as we try to reuse/repurpose household trash.
I feel sorry for those stuck in apartments, especially the giant high rise apartments. My daughter-in-law was stuck in her apartment, 14 floor up for just over a week when Hurricane Sandy hit the east coast. She use plastic kitchen bags in a 5 gallon pail and dropped then down the garbage chute for a while. By the third day, she could deal with the odor. After things sort of got straightened out, she found out people were using cooking pots and just dumping the waste down the chute, sans bag.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Invariably ones best plans to deal with waste will be thwarted by another persons lack of planning.

If you are renting in an apartment building, which seem to be popping up everywhere these days. I would suggest talking to the manager and see if they have a plan for dealing with waste should there be an extended disruption in service. Who knows they may have an emergency plan. Never hurts to ask.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Excellent points, I use the bags from Walmart for exerything, and If needd, Would do the bucket and two bag trick. So, I wanted to add, that "when I have to be a cashier" at walmart, I seem to take a whole bunch of extra bags, I MEAN A BUNCH. Hell, if I have to ring up my sale, and bag my groceries, they might rip. I always seem to grab extra, those darn things just fall into another bag. Is it stealing?

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I live on the edge of a park, so that's where I am hauling my waste. It's on the edge of town and only has homes on one side of it. I keep a number of 5 gallon buckets with lids that I can used for hauling both waste and water, but not both in the same bucket (lol).

·
8,976 Posts
One thing I added to my human waste preps is odor control chemicals used in RVs. Having been an RVer for 35 years, I've learned the stuff works pretty well. I have both dry and liquid types. The only problem is I've never tried it except in the high water systems of RVs. I hope I'm not wasting my money.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts