Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a good wood lathe, will buy or trade so whatcha got?

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
What are you thinking about turning? I have some plans for building your own midi-lathe.

If you are looking to do large turnings, I highly recommend this:
JWL-1642EVS, 16" x 42" EVS PRO Wood Lathe, 1-1/2HP

It was not cheap, but it is worth every penny. I turn a lot of furniture parts which means I am often spinning wood that is not centered on the lathe. This monster does not vibrate or bounce at all. The downside however, is that the headstock by itself weighs over 150 pounds. The whole unit clocks in at just over 600 pounds.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh I would love to have it but man, $3,000 is way outside my funding ability....

I make all kinds of things and had a lathe barrowed. But he needs his back and I have got to come up with an answer to the problem.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
BamaBoy, research bow lathes and treadle lathes. You are skilled enough to make one and it will do whatever you need. If it doesn't you will know how to make a bigger one that will. They were mostly made of wood - even the bearings (some used tallow and leather). I am willing to bet that you can find free plans and modify for your specific needs.

In 3 seconds I found this:

Build Treadle Wood Lathe From Scratch

You can do this!

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
As long as what you are planning to turn is symmetrical, you do not need to worry much about weight. I learned turning on a homemade lathe that was made with a washing machine motor and a couple of pillow bearings mounted to blocks and thumb screwed to a 2 X 12. Only if you are going to do any off-center turning (the foot pads on Cabriole legs, legs for a Federal style high table, bowls made from green wood, those types of projects) do you need to worry about having a lathe that is heavy enough to dampen the vibration.

·
Super Moderator
9,641 Posts
I have one I am about to sell. It was my brothers. It's Harbor Freight. Not great quality but he used it for turning pens. The tools I bought him cost a whole lot more than the lathe. I'm going to sell it for $100 as it is like new. The only problem there is shipping.

I'm pretty sure this is what he bought.

Benchtop Wood Lathe - 5 Speed

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
I think he needs more than 18 inches between centers.

I have seen some old wooden wood lathes where the only metal parts were the drive head and the tail stock center.
I have seen bow lathes - they alternate directions but still turn nice projects out. The treadle lathes are reversible but only turn the direction in which they are started.they are not real complex to build but it would take a craftsman to do it and make it look good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts