Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel so dirty. So used, so cheap. My wife bribed me to go to Walmart and do some grocery shopping by telling me that I could pick up some "toys." Like the cheap whore that I am, I took the bait. Anyway, today, I picked up a Outdoor Products Vortex 8.0 Hiking Backpack. This pack comes with an aluminum water bottle, so sort of a 2 for 1. Holds lots of gear, and allowed me to build her her own BOB. I also picked up another 50' of paracord (you can never have enough, right?), and a Gerber Gator Jr. Machete. The machete seems really solid, didn't come very sharp, but I have become a fairly proficient sharpener with a stone. It has a great handle, and comes with a nylon sheath. Overall, pretty happy with today's shopping, even if I soiled my dignity.

Reactions: Juggernaut

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
wal mart screwed me around on mud tires the other day and that has been about the 20th problem I have had with them since 2012. I am just about done with wally world in Duluth.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
As much as I hate too, I shop there a lot too. Unfortuntaely its the only thing open on my nights off at 0200 in the morning, its not like I have a lot of options unless I want to loose a lot of sleep. Having a job with Vampire Hours really kinda suxs, needless to say.

I will admit they have some cheap prices on a number of things thats hard to beat else where and a lot of other stuff thats very appicable to the prepper. They have some of the better prices on ammo and in this day and age of ammo shortages its nice having a hook up at the distribution center than can give me a heads up on which store is getting a shipment of ammo so I can stalk the place like a vulture! They run some great sales on gear at the end of the season too which I can usually cash in on for a fraction of the price it originally retailed for. This winter I was able to cash in on some Cammies, Dove Decoys and steel shot for duck hunting stupid cheap. While they arent the only game in town they usually have some good deals on fishing gear and camping gear as well. Late this fall I pretty much got all of my gardening pots, planters and what not at huge discounts as well. You just got to be on the ball and keep your eyes open and be ready to pounce when they have a good deal going.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
wal mart screwed me around on mud tires the other day and that has been about the 20th problem I have had with them since 2012. I am just about done with wally world in Duluth.
I know what you mean there buddy. The F#$%^ broke my door handle off my truck about a week after I rebuilt the door when I left my truck with them to put a new tire on. Didnt say jack about it and I didnt find out until I went to drive away. Of course they refused to take any responsibility for it claiming it was just fine when they parked it, never mind the handle was placed on the console.... If I need a tire now I will buy it and drive over to the base hobby shop and put the damn thing on myself. At least that way I know it got done right and nothing got jacked in the process. I was so pissed about that I was ready for a Molotov Cocktail and a match to go!

There are some things wally world just cant be relied upon for. If I cant trust them to handle something as simple as a tire then I sure as hell cant trust them for a quick oil change now can I ? I can just see them now forgetting to reinstall the bolt back into the oil pan...now hats just scary!!!

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Went to Walmart yesterday and they had solar garden lights for 97 cents each, great as a candle replacement and much safer. Walmart isn't total PC they are the worlds largest gun retailers. Not sure I would trust them with my vehicles, But they do have about everything a prepper would need and if you go to Sams (owned by Walmart) you can get things in bulk.
At one time you could buy American but now you would probably be running around naked and it is very hard to tell what is american made and not just assembled in america. Heck the most american car made is the Toyota Camry. It is funny what happened is the Japanese companies made a commitment to buy American steel and parts. But the American companies were not under such commitments and started importing cheaper steel and parts from overseas.

·
Registered
634 Posts
As much Made in China stuff they carry, they still have alot of Made in USA product. you have to look around but it's there. And next to the Government They employ more than anyone else in the country, ya the pay there I have heard blows but they pay there taxes just like everyone else. Am I not a fan of them, but they have things worth shopping there for. Wally world is a love hate relationship, We all love to hate them but yet we all still shop there.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
The dude at the counter, he was amazing. They were all amazing, check this-

I see on the shelf goodyear authority M/T for 150 each, even in my size and weight class. So I go to the counter, (not a soul in the shop, no customers) and this guy spends about fifteen minutes to tell me that they are out of stock. I ask why can't I have the four on the shelf. After another ten minutes of clicking with a dumb look on his face, he goes well you can, but they run 220 each. I ask how is that since the ones on the shelf- the very ones I want- are priced 150. Is it a sticker mistake I ask. No he says. Ok at this point I think you could literally see a question mark appear over my head. Then why won't you sell them to me I ask. He says they don't sell floor displays. I just looked as if I didn't hear him right. I look back to several floor displays of tires, each one marked for sale. "Yes you do." I told him. He looks back at me like I was on fire. Finally at wits end with this human stick of butter, I just tell him get a manager out here, I'll sort this out.

After 20 more minutes, some kid in a blue shirt shows up and looks around. I greet him, start telling him the situation, and that I wanted those tires right there and had the money to pay even. He and the clerk then proceed to click through endless pages of whatever it was they were looking at, then the manager comes back over tells me there's a problem at the warehouse. I shook my head and told him yo- this has nothing to do with warehouse, I want those four tires over there...the ones in the middle. You would have sworn to god I just spoke the sentence in ancient Greek. The manager kid gives me a whole body shrug like "duh?!" I just sigh and took a breath, looked at the clerk. "How much do they show up as on the system?" I ask. 150 he says. I then whip my head back to eye the manager....and he's run off behind some shelves and was running away. Literally. He ducked out when I had my head turned and fled. I look back to the clerk. "You just ****ing see that? Did he just run away?" I ask. The clerk nods with a shrug.

Needless to say I was so dumbfounded I just gave up and left. That place is for the birds.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Man, I love shopping at Wally World (except for the fact that it is like attending a United Nations convention in terms of how many different languages you hear being spoken). Where else can you find fertilizer, motor oil, ammo, dog food, fresh containers of night crawlers for going fishing, microwave popcorn, Gatorade, chicken, gun magazines, bug spray, video games, car wax, and a tire pump all in the same store? I go to Wally World on my lunch hour (I eat my sandwich on the drive over) and shop as an escape from dealing with fixing other peoples' mistakes at work, and I hit all the clearance racks, and wait until the seasons change and you can scoop up some deals on going-out-of-season items. I just bought four fanny packs in camp that normally sold for $24.96 for only 25 cents each. I was sure the price was wrong, but I had the clerk check it, and sure enough, .25 cents each. I bought all four for a buck! Unbelievable. I know the lady at the ammo counter by name, and she always will go check the gun vault in the back for me for ammo and new guns that may have come in (I buy boxed cases of ammo from them). They also have the cheapest price on propane tank refills, cypress mulch, bird seed, cat food, and their grocery prices beat any other store hands down. What's not to like about that?

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
Man, I love shopping at Wally World (except for the fact that it is like attending a United Nations convention in terms of how many different languages you hear being spoken). Where else can you find fertilizer, motor oil, ammo, dog food, fresh containers of night crawlers for going fishing, microwave popcorn, Gatorade, chicken, gun magazines, bug spray, video games, car wax, and a tire pump all in the same store? I go to Wally World on my lunch hour (I eat my sandwich on the drive over) and shop as an escape from dealing with fixing other peoples' mistakes at work, and I hit all the clearance racks, and wait until the seasons change and you can scoop up some deals on going-out-of-season items. I just bought four fanny packs in camp that normally sold for $24.96 for only 25 cents each. I was sure the price was wrong, but I had the clerk check it, and sure enough, .25 cents each. I bought all four for a buck! Unbelievable. I know the lady at the ammo counter by name, and she always will go check the gun vault in the back for me for ammo and new guns that may have come in (I buy boxed cases of ammo from them). They also have the cheapest price on propane tank refills, cypress mulch, bird seed, cat food, and their grocery prices beat any other store hands down. What's not to like about that?
I went to one out in the country, everyone was nice and they has guns out the wazoo, all sorts of sporting stuff they don't have at mine, more fishing stuff...I don't mind those at all. The one near me you would swear to god you fell into an alternate reality where everyone is an abject imbecile.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
My wife and I went to one after Saturday night Church last fall. OMG. Never again on Saturday night.
No way. I go there once in a while at 7 AM (its a 24 hr store). At 7 AM they are pretty good. Crazies
are asleep at 7 AM - most of em anyway. Besides that is when they stock the ammo box.

Things I have gotten at Wal Mart and appreciate:

- a good container of pool chemicals that will also serve to treat water - has a 4 year shelf life - and cheaper at wal mart,
- garden tools
- at one time they carried 9.99 - 5 gallon gas "cans" made of plastic. cheap as hell but they carry 5 gallons
- 19.99 bird shot - stuff you use on clay pigeons, 100 rounds for 19.99 - guess those days are gone,
- cans of fruits, veggies and soups - they beat costco most of the time
- duck tape
- they carry a decent assortment of cheap tarps by assortment I means sizes and cheap.

Mine don't carry firearms - just ammo. Good cleaning supplies though too.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I don't understand the walmart bashing. It is just like people bashing McDonald's - Don't shop there if you hate it. There are plenty of online alternatives if walmart is the only game in town. Amazon and Ebay have tons of hunting, fishing, camping and survival gear. I ordered a bag of 3 dozen carabiners from Ebay for $10 - free shipping. There were more in the box than I thought when I bid. Got 40 total. Also off Ebay - 5 flashlights - really high power - $12.59 final bid. Go elsewhere if you are unhappy with a store. Come on - where else can you buy a chainsaw, make-up, tires, and a thong???

Get off your walmart hate soapbox. Stop buying there or stop complaining!

·
Registered
481 Posts
I love the blue water containers they sell in the camping department. Those are a necessity and a great price. I'd link it but their website is screwed up right now.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Unfortunately my nearest Walmart doesn't carry any guns, and doesn't carry as much camping supplies as I've seen in others. Probably because this is a very urban area, the Walmart in the smaller town I'm from had a much better selection. Still, I usually treat myself to one or two goodies whenever I go grocery shopping.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts