Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is anyone here using a VPN service? I have been giving it some consideration lately and I am wondering what others think.

Some questions are:
Why or why not?
What do you look for in a service?
Do you use it all the time or just for certain things?

I have looked at Private Internet Access, but they are tracking how many devices you are using which makes me question what else they may be tracking.
https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/

I have also recently found Eyes Off VPN. They claim to not know if you are or have ever connected.
https://www.eyesoffvpn.com

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Thank you,
X

· Registered
26 Posts
Depends what you are going to do.
Most VPNs keep logs of what you do.

Why? To hide yourself from others

What to look for: No logs and Good server locations (There is a bit more)

A VPN will slow down your internet speed.
Send me a message if you would like to know more!

· Registered
901 Posts
I use one all the time for work since I am transmitting patient specific information over the net. I have been wondering about this also for personal use. I have a hard time keeping my mouth shut and I know someday it will come back and haunt me if things get bad. I would like to know more about how it works also.

· Registered
1,005 Posts
You may be surprised to know how many of these "public" VPN / Anonymizer sites are run by the various agencies from which you might wish anonymity.

· Registered
21,643 Posts
While you researching read up On TOR.
Yes I do
Not going to why
read up on TOR
Nothing is full proof on the web but your can sure make it hard and put a lot of dead ends in place.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
While you researching read up On TOR.
Yes I do
Not going to why
read up on TOR
Nothing is full proof on the web but your can sure make it hard and put a lot of dead ends in place.
TOR concerns me a bit too. Traffic analysis can make you stand out. Like the dumb kid who emailed a bomb hoax at Harvard. Yes he was dumb for the hoax in the first place but he used tor on a large public network when only a few others were using it too. TOR with a VPN would be best I think.

Herald Bulldog First On The Street | Boston Herald

· Registered
21,643 Posts
TOR concerns me a bit too. Traffic analysis can make you stand out. Like the dumb kid who emailed a bomb hoax at Harvard. Yes he was dumb for the hoax in the first place but he used tor on a large public network when only a few others were using it too. TOR with a VPN would be best I think.

Herald Bulldog First On The Street | Boston Herald
TOR is a resource to get an Idea of where you are going, not the detestation.

· Registered
1,005 Posts
The only safe assumption is that your online activity will be subject to "observation" regardless of what publicly available countermeasures purport to offer.
The closest thing to secured Internet communications would be a site-to-site IPSec VPN, where known and trusted resource manage all of the VPN gateways involved and where IKE and IPSec keys are renegotiated frequently. This is the model used by businesses, healthcare, .gov agencies, etc. to connect remote offices where private fiber is not practical. Even in site-to-site VPN deployments the information is only as secure as the weakest parts of the picture... PC's that are subject compromise and their users who.. well... are often the cause of compromise.

Bottom line... if you don't want others to know what you're doing... don't do it online.

Reactions: PaulS

· Banned
2 Posts
The only safe assumption is that your online activity will be subject to "observation" regardless of what publicly available countermeasures purport to offer.
The closest thing to secured Internet communications would be a site-to-site IPSec VPN, where known and trusted resource manage all of the VPN gateways involved and where IKE and IPSec keys are renegotiated frequently. This is the model used by businesses, healthcare, .gov agencies, etc. to connect remote offices where private fiber is not practical. Even in site-to-site VPN deployments the information is only as secure as the weakest parts of the picture... PC's that are subject compromise and their users who.. well... are often the cause of compromise.

Bottom line... if you don't want others to know what you're doing... don't do it online.
I’m interested in getting a VPN service, but I’m not very experienced in this sort of tech. I understand the concept of the VPN and see the value. The talk radio podcasts I listen to all pimp Expressvpn, from my research it seems to be the Cadillac service but also the most expensive. Nordvpn is probably the runner up for about 1/3 the cost of Expressvpn. I’m likely to use it primarily for regular web browsing on gun forums and for online banking/web orders. I may attempt to access Netflix from a server in another country to get different content. Any input from the group is appreciated.

· Registered
survival skills, shelter building / bushcraft, emergency preparedness for short and long term
2 Posts
Is it safe to be online? Yes and no, taking the proper precautions will help in keeping you safe. Just the other day my mom told me about a patient who was hacked by someone impersonating their bank through email, the lady clicked and malicious code was implanted in her system, the hacker was able to transfer 15k from her bank account and made it look like she did it.

Scammers are becoming more clever each day. I went toe to toe with a crook a few years ago and was able to track down the low life from Italy living in England. Got the authorities involved and the peasant was able to evade capture. This guy was a bad pup, having scammed more than 150k from folks around the globe through a tinder, crypto scam.

Now to answer your question. I do not have much knowledge of networking but I work in IT and am familiar with penetration techniques. For example, if you were my neighbor I could spy on all over your activity. If the wrong person gets a hold of your IP address they can begin to ruin your life.

If you are using a VPN service, this sniffing technique does not give enough information to the attacker that you are able to find a vulnerability and exploit it. A VPN will not save you, but it is an extra layer of security.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts