Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not have alot of room in my home I do have space for food to store but not enough to store alot of water I have about 4 cases of bottle water that I rotate and replace. I cannot store outside neighborhood convenent and inside no way. My short term plan is anything happens and we still have running water is to fill up every tub, container I have that should keep us with water for a week maybe 2. I do have a creek 200 yards from my house it flow but flows slowly I could haul it 10 gallons a time if needed. Boil it, purify it etc. I could rig up a couple of those 5 gallon water purifies I have seen on the internet.
This is my weak plan right now any suggestion would be great.

Chelseaprepper

·
Registered
72 Posts
If that creek flows year round then whats the worry. The only concern i would see, is if something happens you would need to scout far up stream to make sure the water source is not being contaminated (raw sewage, dead animals/bodies).

·
Registered
938 Posts
I would suggest you consider the plastic 6-gallon water containers such as the ones they sell in the camping supplies section of WAL-Mart. They are the same size as large gas cans (Jerry cans) and do not take up much space. I store mine on shelving empty, and fill them based on news and weather current events. These are man portable for drinking water.

For sanitary water, a clean large plastic trash can (33 gallon) is great. You can use contractor trash bags (3 mil thick) as disposable liners. And you can store stuff inside the clean (dedicated) trash can until you need to deploy it. I keep a lot of my disaster supplies in these dedicated cans - works perfectly!

A stack of 5-gallon buckets, with lids, serves as backup. They are stackable, and you can line them up almost anywhere. Great for apartments, etc.

·
Registered
640 Posts
If that creek flows year round then whats the worry.
You can look at it that way.... but never "rely" on anything. Prepping is for any situation... and that includes things like earthquakes that could reroute or dry up your stream.... chemical spills that could contaminate your stream or force you to evacuate... a biological event.... massive fire.... an "invasion" by sheeple or gangs... anything. Count your stream as an option... but don't rely on it... have backup options. It's like a BOB... sure... it's great to have one... but be prepared to lose it and have to rebuild it with what you can scavenge while on the go. In that case... knowledge and practiced skill are your best friends. With knowledge and skills... you can start with nothing and still survive... because... you are technically NEVER starting with nothing. OK... I'm done rambling.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts