Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I highly recommend learning to build things like this....

The wife and I are considering doing an instructional how to video series on such things....

Reactions: Fuzzee

·
Registered
172 Posts
There are few lakes out here in NM, but if I may ask a dumb question... what do you use instead of vines in the desert? If I were to build a fish trap in this environment, what materials would make the best trap?

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
I learned to build it in a box shape with both ends funneled in. It can be used for fish and small game. That will give you more variety in your meals.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
There are few lakes out here in NM, but if I may ask a dumb question... what do you use instead of vines in the desert? If I were to build a fish trap in this environment, what materials would make the best trap?
You can use a lot of different materials it just depends on what is available. Even scrounged wire or small branches can be used and if you weave it with paracord it makes it faster. If you use it for small game you will have some repairs and you have to check them often because rodents that are trapped will start chewing their way out pretty fast.

Reactions: BamaBoy101

·
Registered
172 Posts
You can use a lot of different materials it just depends on what is available. Even scrounged wire or small branches can be used and if you weave it with paracord it makes it faster. If you use it for small game you will have some repairs and you have to check them often because rodents that are trapped will start chewing their way out pretty fast.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am pretty sure you have Yucca in NM and the plant yealds great cordage and devils cloth makes great baskets.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dang man your smarter than I gave you credit fer, lol sorry just poking fun, great points BTW….

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
It depends on the size of your fish - Chicken wire will let a 10" trout swim away unless you offset multiple layers of it.

Hardware cloth is great to look at but I found that most critters won't go near it so it is worthless unless you spend a lot of time making it look more like something natural. Critters are used to crawling through brambles and wood debris so they aren't afraid of anything made from woody plants.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
This is basically the design we used for "crawdad traps" in Navajo Lake, and threw back the little fish.
In a bad situation, this design looks pretty great.

·
Registered
33 Posts
...ebay 6 meter by 3 meter...fine mesh fish nets with weights and floats...6 bucks on ebay.....i catch at least 5 trout every night i place my net...

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
A fish trap can be made from anything from wire to rope, steel to wood. Fine mesh netting is easy to make into a box or cone too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.