Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My conversation with a friend brought up an interesting topic of verbiage.
In the military, we were taught "rifle, pistol, weapon".
In the military "Gun" = pushups.
I used to get irritated when i heard people say "gun".
I've since outgrown it and use "gun" myself (rarely, and usually only in type), but some people (such as my friend) still cannot bring themselves to blaspheme.
It hasn't been said better than "this is my rifle, this is my gun, this is for fighting, this is for fun".

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
This is my rifle this in my gun one is pleasure one is for fun.... yes we marched to that tune . And a lot of push ups
In this world they get to call anything what they want.
Clip is for paper a Magazine is for ammo
A pistol is semi auto a revolver is a revolver there are no hand guns
A rifle is semi auto, bust of auto a machine gun is full auto
Anything that takes more than one person to carry is a crew serve weapon.
A sling is for garrison
I will never live long enough to get use to the change on this side of the fence.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My conversation with a friend brought up an interesting topic of verbiage.
In the military, we were taught "rifle, pistol, weapon".
In the military "Gun" = pushups.
I used to get irritated when i heard people say "gun".
I've since outgrown it and use "gun" myself (rarely, and usually only in type), but some people (such as my friend) still cannot bring themselves to blaspheme.
It hasn't been said better than "this is my rifle, this is my gun, this is for fighting, this is for fun".
Haha...this is such a pet peeve of mine. It drives me crazy. When I hear gun I am thinking Naval artillery.

·
Administrator
15,260 Posts
Haha...this is such a pet peeve of mine. It drives me crazy. When I hear gun I am thinking Naval artillery.
Or howiters, or machine guns, or shotguns.
I have seen what Naval gunfire can do also - the Tin Cans used to come in close and use their 5" guns to support us on occasion.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what smitty said made me laugh. I never realized that we called the m60 a "Machine gun" without even realizing we used the word "Gun".
Sounds weird calling it anything else. Kinda funny if you think about it. The 249 is dubbed the SAW, but we dont call the m60 a SAW..it was just called "the 60" or "machine gun".

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh and "clip" will never be part of my firearm vocabulary!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Being a Second generation Marine I hade a hard time speaking civilian-eze. Rifles, Pistols, Revolvers, are specific. Gun was ether something mounted to a ship, or something used by civilians to shoot ducks with. Those little thingeys that we shoot from our rifle, pistol, revolver, or crew-serve weapon are Rounds or cartridges. Composed of a Shell, Primer, Powder and Then a bullet. Most of the Civilians seam to use the term bullet or shell.
I went to a sporting goods store that advertised reloading supplies and ask what they had in .44 JHP bullets. The clerk started looking at the .44 cartridges. When I told him I only needed the bullets he told me I'd have to take them apart my self. About that time the manager came over and found me a few choices of .44 JHP bullets.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
what smitty said made me laugh. I never realized that we called the m60 a "Machine gun" without even realizing we used the word "Gun".
Sounds weird calling it anything else. Kinda funny if you think about it. The 249 is dubbed the SAW, but we dont call the m60 a SAW..it was just called "the 60" or "machine gun".
It is ok when used after another word like machine gun. Miss the old M60 it was replaced by the 240. Funny part is they were developed at the same time and we went with the M60 only to switch to the 240 all these years latter.
SAW Squad Automatic Weapon. The SAW was integrated into the fire team to make them faster and lighter also more rounds could be carried . The SAW works better for clearing that a 60 or a 240.
This stuff was my life for so long.
If you want to see cool this was an improved version of the M60 fires the 308 as the m60 did.
http://s259.photobucket.com/albums/hh292/smitty901/?action=view&current=NewM-60Machinegun.mp4

Reactions: crystalphoto
1 - 8 of 8 Posts