Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vanilla extract expensive even now for the real deal. Even though we will have more food than we will ever need. Life can get boring with out things to spice it up.
You can take real Vanilla beans and put them in vodka let them soak for 3 months and you have prefect Vanilla extract. Also as you use it you can add more vodka and keep the supply going. Started two bottles today. They will last a long time as is but could be be an almost endless supply if managed right.
Put them in the bottle close it put in 3 months start using it a very strong concentrate.
101_5143.JPG

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great idea and good luck on it,I can think of a bunch of uses for vanilla to liven up some boring recipes.The biggest problem I would have is staying out of the vodka.
I don't drink at all just one of those that don't . But the stuff has uses and I am sure once the still is up and running it can replace the vodka.
Daughter for some reason got a minor in something to do with food and cooking she has been looking into the survival uses of spices and herbs ect.

·
Registered
212 Posts
How many beans are needed to start the bottle?
Also how long does it need to steep before being used as its full potential?

Now you say just keep replacing the vodka to rejuvenate the extract at full capacity.
I wonder how long that would work?

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
How many beans are needed to start the bottle?
Also how long does it need to steep before being used as its full potential?

Now you say just keep replacing the vodka to rejuvenate the extract at full capacity.
I wonder how long that would work?
5 percup of Vodka but buy from a quality provider like most things there are bad deals out there.
Once the 2-3 month soak is done you can start using it. It will get stronger in time keep topping off it will make more
The product you make will be stronger than what you buy in a store.
The beans are not cheap but the first batch you make will recover the cost and more.

Reactions: Annie

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Daughter informed me the best way to do this is leave it in 3 months. Drain the vodka strain it then put the beans in new vodka for 3 months.
Use what you drained off. Keep going until beans begin to get weak Once that happens you dry the beans out scrape and cut them mix with sugar and make vanilla sugar.
I will post more on the sugar thing when I talk more with her.

Reactions: Annie

·
Registered
302 Posts
I like that idea, and will have to try it. I love good vanilla. On a trip to Mexico years ago...and I mean YEARS ago, my mother brought home a half dozen bottles or so of true vanilla, she still had some up to a year or so ago. Wonderful stuff....

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Revisit the subject. The first full bottle has been used for baking and cooking. Results were outstanding.

Reactions: jimb1972

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
Where do you get the vanilla beans?

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Vanilla company see orders from. You need to be careful of cheap rip offs . Some sell half beans you want the full bean and quality.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
Thanks! - We'll definitely be giving this a try.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
beanilla.com has a special going on - twenty five beans for twenty five bucks and free shipping.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
This is a great post! I was going to post about spices last night and it got late.. I know we all stockpile plenty of stuff like rice,beans,sugar and other stuff.. Do you plan for seasonings? We (especially me) are ALWAYS buying different spices,seasonings and sauces... I found The Spice House Merchants of Exquisite Spices, Herbs and Seasonings | Chicago | Milwaukee | Evanston | Geneva to be the best place to get them so far. It seems like we have an order a week coming from there now and we are always ordering new things we haven't tried before. You couldn't imagine the spices we have put back. We seal them in mylar bags with 02 absorbers and rotate them pretty well.. At least the ones we use often.. I have always loved cajun and jerk seasoning. Their Jamaican Jerk is the best I have had yet. I have even been putting it in my eggs and I put it in mayo to make a jerk mayo for burgers and dip.. Has the perfect heat and sweetness.
I am all about eating bean and rice but you have to be able to season it how you want. Bland beans/rice for several months to a year would suck ass... Make sure you think about seasoning is all I'm saying...

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Make darn sure the place you get your beans is top quality. Cheap beans make bad Vanilla.
If you do this right you get some amazing real vanilla and it is considerably lower cost.
This is a good source also 50 beans are about 40 dollars .
The sight has a lot of information.
http://www.vanillafoodcompany.ca/Gourmet-Vanilla-Beans-s/3.htm

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
So how do you store the other 20 beans? That sale is about a 3rd of the regular price.
How to Store Vanilla Beans:
Keep the vanilla in an airtight container (we recommend a glass jar) at room temperature and away from direct sunlight. Kept this way, it can be stored for 12 months. Do not worry if you see whitish powder on the surface of the beans for those are vanillin crystals - gold of the vanilla bean!
Once you make the extract from them you can store that for years

NOTE they should not have the whitish power when you buy them if they are fresh.
Do not throw the beans out after you have made extract they have uses.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts