Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didnt know where else to post this, so...

I have been looking into rounding out my skill sets so that any small communites that come together after, might find me a valuable member. I am considering taking this class, Nov 30.

Blacksmith Classes

What do you think?

I have many general skils, hunting, fishing, etc.. but no real hard skills. I know this group must have some other good ideas that might be worth exploring.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Well... with it likely that the power will be out... and both manufacturing and transportation shut down... having the skills to manufacture or repair "pieces, parts and things" could be extremely useful. It could be the difference between living in the dark or getting the wind generator working again. Or... it could be a waste of time. But... if you find it fun and interesting... consider it a new hobby and you end of winning regardless.

·
Registered
640 Posts
And... you could always sing the Greenday version while you are hammering away.... :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I will be a skill that will generate your own food. Rather farming, ranching, hunting, canning or other food preservation techniques.

Ability to obtain food will be the primary skill needed. Think of the Jews in the Warsaw Ghetto. What was the best skill to have then? People that could smuggle food and not get caught.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
..I have been looking into rounding out my skill sets so that any small communites that come together after, might find me a valuable member. I have many general skils, hunting, fishing, etc.. but no real hard skills..
Whoa..:)
Skills are fine, but remember one of the most valuable "skills" around is to be able to make a group feel good by simply being a nice friendly person who's good to have around, regardless of whether he/she has got any survival skills!
This Survivors clip explores the theme when a young agricultural expert (Mark, circled) joined the group, but he's a nasty, arrogant, insulting pain-in-the-ass, so they decide they don't want him because he's wrecking the morale of the group!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
..I have been looking into rounding out my skill sets so that any small communites that come together after, might find me a valuable member..
It works both ways too, because in a SHTF world there are bound to be some groups out there who you wouldn't want to join in a million years!
For example I've walked out of 4 prepper/survival forums (3 Brit and 1 American) in the past couple of months because they didn't shape up in one way or another (petty-minded immature bickering, control-freak mods, bad forum section layout etc), they won't last 5 minutes when it hits the fan..;)

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Other things to consider-
if we were non-smokers, would we want to join a group with smokers in it?
And could spiritually-minded people get on with an atheist group?
And would a Democrat be happy in a Republican group?
Could laid-back kool people be happy in a hyper workaholic group?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Other things to consider-
if we were non-smokers, would we want to join a group with smokers in it?
And could spiritually-minded people get on with an atheist group?
And would a Democrat be happy in a Republican group?
Could laid-back kool people be happy in a hyper workaholic group?
IMO... once SHTF I think people will learn to "deal" with things and "get over" petty things like complaining about someone smoking. Right now as things are, people have the luxury of insistence and feeling inconvenienced.

I think people will find their places in groups and realize getting huffy at their group because of a few smokers or some people pray will not be in their best interest.

my skills are outdoor cooking and I can make meals to feed many people. I can set up an outdoor kitchen. I can build smokers, grills, and wood ovens. I can also work with hunters and gardeners being able to take animals apart and help garden.

a hot meal with good tasting food could mean the difference between a group that gets along and a group that bickers.

anyone can grill up hamburgers and hotdogs but I doubt many people can butcher a hog and cook it over fire these days. people are removed from where their meat comes from. how sausages are made. how to bake a loaf of bread.

more than that, I know that I can make generally worthless people, useful. people with generally useless skills can always help in a kitchen.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Small engine repair and horticulture would be the two that I'd go with.

I would like to know how to make kerosene though!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
gardening, raising livestock, fishing, hunting, tool sharpening (I think this one is very under-rated), bartering, sewing, canning

·
Registered
20 Posts
there ARE a surprising amount of people that cannot sharpen a knife. : /

I have been looking at stills. whiskey and ethanol would both be highly useful.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have been working on my gardening skills, will do canning next time I have a harvest ready, and have practiced my currently abysmal fire starting skills lol. Lots of room to grow!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts