Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a get home bag (GHB) in my car, and I keep a number of things vacuum sealed, such as a fire kit, home made MREs, socks, etc.. I also tend to add & remove things to this GHB from time to time. We recently (like many others) experienced some temperature extremes. I noticed one of my vacuum sealed bags had lost it's seal (on my fire start kit). This isn't a huge deal, as I'm not worried about the freshness of my matches, just water-proofing them. Though the vacuum seal might not be completely solid, they still appear sealed to some degree (thus splash-proof).

My question is: Has anyone else experienced the failure of vacuum seals due to cold (or heat) of GHB's left in vehicles? I had used vacuum seal plastic bags for my MREs (and like the see-thru aspect to know what's inside each meal), but I might switch to Mylar bags i that would help...?

·
8,987 Posts
I'd go along with Back pack Hack and look for a penetrating hole. I also have a few items sealed in vac saved bags stored in my car. In the 7 years I've carried everything this way, I've had no problems.

·
Registered
234 Posts
... I'm not worried about the freshness of my matches, just water-proofing them. Though the vacuum seal might not be completely solid, they still appear sealed to some degree (thus splash-proof).
I have matches sealed in vacuum bags also but I wonder if it's really a good idea (same with vacuum sealed ammo). If the seal leaks in a wet environment it's going to suck moisture into the bag. If it's just sealed but not vacuumed it wouldn't.

My question is: Has anyone else experienced the failure of vacuum seals due to cold (or heat) of GHB's left in vehicles?
I think you just sprung a leak.

I had used vacuum seal plastic bags for my MREs (and like the see-thru aspect to know what's inside each meal), but I might switch to Mylar bags i that would help...?
You can get the kind that are clear on one side, they cost a little more but it might be worth it.

1614200894089.png

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've never had cold alone hurt my vacuum bags, but I think it makes the plastic more brittle and prone to breaking. I'm thinking of things stored in the freezer, vacuum sealed. I've had things get punctured in there. I think if you're careful with you you pack your get home bag so vibrations in the car don't allow things to rub/puncture, you should be fine. I've never had a seal itself break or fail if I do it right to start, though I double seal things I have any worry about.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts