Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I don't really have all this large stash, but rather a modest amount of ammo. I also have a vacuum pump and jar sealers bought for food storage. I've been giving some thought to vacuum sealing some of my extra ammo. I am just not sure if it's that good of idea or not. I would love some opinions on this.
Vacuum sealing, I would think would be much better than any amount of desiccant, is that correct? One of the disadvantages is the ammo really needs to be removed from it's original boxes, to get any amount in the jars.
I would love to know what other people think on this. Is it a waste of time? Is it worth doing at all or just keeping them boxed up in ammo boxes good enough, or perhaps better? I have no plans to bury any ammo yet, but might consider "hiding" some in places where weather might be a problem.
Thanks for your time.
-dave-

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just did another experiment, that might even work better. I got the idea from a guy on youtube vacuum sealing a plastic coke bottle.
I drilled a small hole in my metal ammo can (OMG! did he say he just drilled a hole in his ammo can?) then place a small piece of electrical tape over it, but left it loose on one end. Then using a vacuum pump and a suction gismo that fit over the tape (least the part over the hole) I pull a vacuum on the entire ammo can. When I lifted the vacuum attachment off the tape area, the vacuum in the ammo can pulled it down and tight, I placed a larger amount of tape over it just for good measure. I will wait a couple of weeks to see if it's still holding vacuum, but so far looks good.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.