Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Someone made this time lapse video, its awesome, but doesn't do Justice to the size and scope of this monster.
The USS Zumwalt (DDG 1000)...I am HONORED to have made "some of the components" in this badboy.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Probably technology in that box on top, and the undisclosed propulsion system we won't hear about for a few decades.

Like the second video! The way it was narrated I was waiting to hear "In three easy payments you to could own a Zumwalt today. The complimentary set of (12) Patriot missiles and Predator drones to be included with every shipment." I even got out my credit card! :D

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Is it me or are there no external windows. All monitors?

I know they tank tested the heck out of it but I'd really love to see it at speed in rough seas.

Cool boat though. I hope they train like preppers though.. So they can perform when the whizzy stuff blinks out. And it will.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was my second "governement contract", and I thought the first was hard, it was nothing compared to the exacting specifications that this jop entailed. I was so relieved when the job left my facility, but now I have the PRIDE of knowing and sharing that I had responsibility for some "integral componenets". GO NAVY

·
Registered
921 Posts
I can't wait to hear, "Captain Kirk to the bridge."
Yep. That's actually the name of the captain. James A. Kirk.
Not to be confused with James T. Kirk. (Tiberious, for those who didn't know.)

Reactions: PaulS

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you were to check the components we made, the quality control signer's last name is Kirk..
And, yes, we call him captain, but I had no Idea the Captain of the Zumwalt was so aptly named.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Is it just me or does anyone else see a similarity in the external design to that of the CSS Virginia.? Just curious if anyone else has seen that too.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Yes Sir, lets just say that their quality control people have three people under them just looking for paperwork errors. Me, I was a "lone fool" submitting paperwork with wrong revision numbers, all by myself, winging it. Thank goodness their people were patient.
Just to know that my "step"DAD would have been jazzed. he was 22 years NAVY retired, so this ones for him.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I was just checking our some of the newest ships that the Chinese and Russians will be launching and such, I dont think we have anything to worry about from anyone with the type stuff we go coming out in the future we still build them better, faster, and more deadlier..The Zumwalt is the prime example !!

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
When I was in the Navy three Soviet ships moored alongside us in Norfolk. Three of our ships went to Savastapol in the Soviet Union. We were allowed to tour these ships and I noticed two very important things about our counterparts. Where we used ammunition elevators to bring weapons up from the magazines, they used little carts and railroad tracks pushed by men. We had fire doors, water tight integrity and material conditions that prevented progressive flooding. They had huge open spaces throughout the ships. Maybe it was too expensive to build so many bulkheads, but one solid torpedo hit or one blast amidships from an anti-ship missile and it was Davey Jone's locker for the Ruskies.

I glanced out and saw our Ticonderoga class frigates, Aegis class cruisers, Nimitz class carriers, Los Angeles Class fast boats and the USS Iowa. Never had a problem sleeping while I was underway.

Go NAVY!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts