Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure where to put this.

I have a piece of land that has a low fence (4') in the back. I have about 10' more land to build a higher fence when I am financially capable.

My question is. How would plants slow down intruders? WHAT plants to plant?

I know plants are NOT going to stop someone from coming over that fence, but I would like to at least slow them down to give me a fighting chance, or at LEAST make it painful for them.

I have already planted cactus (for prickly pear fruit, and as a defense) I like blackberries, and I know they grow crazy/wild. I wouldn't mind planting those so they can grow over the fence. Anyone have plants they would plant? I thought of a field of "jumping cholla" :D

I'm open to suggestions

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
very good topic. I strategically plant for discouragement at my properties.
I have bushy thorny plants around the windows of units, shorn from the knee down...(so there's no place to hide)
i tell the landscape architect what i want and they do it. so im not sure what types of plants they are. sorry.
very good topic

·
Registered
219 Posts
Jeeze...if you could plant Kentucky Greenbriar you wouldnt need a fence! Sharp as razors and you can tow a car with the stuff!

Here's another idea though...go with plain old blackberries....thorned kind! delicious to eat....birds love em....and if they are a couple feet thick they would make most people go around....Lotsa briars!

SSGT

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Osage-orange trees were used before bob-wire the sharp-thorned trees were also planted as cattle-deterring hedges before the introduction of barbed wire and afterwards became an important source of fence posts.
Maclura pomifera - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I read that for boarders they would crush the hedge apples up into a pulp then make a small trench and pour it in.

·
Registered
219 Posts
You could hire Shotlady to stand behind your property and smile....Hell that would stop me dead in my tracks.....I'd just totally surrender!...take weapons...money...ammo...shirt off back...would have this totally smitten look with a big smile on my face! LOL!

Damn who could resist!

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Jeeze...if you could plant Kentucky Greenbriar you wouldnt need a fence! Sharp as razors and you can tow a car with the stuff!

Here's another idea though...go with plain old blackberries....thorned kind! delicious to eat....birds love em....and if they are a couple feet thick they would make most people go around....Lotsa briars!

SSGT
what a great idea!
this is good for three reasons i could find.. naw 4

1. barrier
2. berries
3. bird eatin
4. comedy factor- when some one uninvited gets a prick!

·
Registered
219 Posts
what a great idea!
this is good for three reasons i could find.. naw 4

1. barrier
2. berries
3. bird eatin
4. comedy factor- when some one uninvited gets a prick!
Ditto and as Inceptor says sparrows for a stew!

Hey bears and deer like em too!

SSGT

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Osage-orange trees were used before bob-wire the sharp-thorned trees were also planted as cattle-deterring hedges before the introduction of barbed wire and afterwards became an important source of fence posts.

I read that for boarders they would crush the hedge apples up into a pulp then make a small trench and pour it in.
thank you for the link!

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
haha you guys are hilarious :D

OK, so definate vote for blackberries, still looking for suggestions though. I'd hate to have a fence of nothing BUT blackberries. I'd love to break up the landscape a bit....

Kentucky Greenbriar. Does that JUST grow in kentucky? Is there a specific name for it, or is that what its known as. I ask because the nurseries around here have their own pet names for stuff.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

thanks for that link. Looks like if I plant it, I can use the wood for tool handles as well. The one thing I didn't read was if it is edible? Cool thing though, as it says it repels insects too?

Again, thanks for a VERY cool link :)

·
Registered
219 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
2 1/2 acres is alot to plant for defense. But great for lots of other things. Blackberries/Holly are definent deterrents. I think youd have to look locally for your area for what might be a good deterrent. I know I have a trench along the front of my property that is adjacent to the road and could quickly become a much bigger trench. I might transplant some blackberies to the roadside of the trench now that I think about it. If a SHTF happens my driveway(gravel) is only a good hard dig from keeping my land unaccessible to vehicles short of an Abrahms. And yes I have an exit but I am not willing to disclose that.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Raspberry they grow most anywhere they get thick and hurt to try and walk through plus you can eat them.

Reactions: shotlady and SSGT
1 - 20 of 39 Posts