Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made some great camp stoves out of Altoid tins with my sons, they work great, and thought I would share it. If you have any other survival use ideas for Altoid Tins, post them here - thanks!

This video is not me, but it is where I got the idea....click the link.

·
Senior Member R.I.P.
2,886 Posts
Good size can for poking holes in to make charcloth. And without the holes storing charcloth.

Also would be good for cotton balls dipped in vaseline.

Probably the right size for a survival fishing kit.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Good ideas, fire starter kit...here is a link to an Altoid tin survival kit put together by Field and Stream magazine.

Click here to go the the Altoid Survival Kit.
I've been thinking of doing something like this with the plastic gatorade containers they put the powder in for you to mix with water at home. I'm fresh out of empties at the moment... maybe when I finish the one I'm working on now I'll finally get to it. It could become something that just stays in my car. I could make another one for work.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Reactions: hayden

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Last summer was the summer of the survival tin. Made them with my kids for camping. Turned my son into a campsite star when he whipped it out to help a little girl who had been hurt.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
I use the small plastic pencil boxes they work great and don't rust .

·
Banned
1,238 Posts
Usually I use Altoids tins to store Altoids Mints. If I wanted a rubber sealed survival tin I'd just pony up the cash and get one of these: Survival Kit Tin - Best Glide ASE
Then after I put together the items I'd want it to contain I'd seal it with a low cost moisture barrier like waterproof electrical tape and store it in a waterproof resealable lunch bag sized baggie. But I may consider the items in a container like this to be my last chance at survival, so at the cost of perhaps an hour of my labor I'd consider it money well spent; even a better investment if I never needed to bet my life on it. JMHO.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I only have 1 because I don't like Altoids but I keep it in my belt pack when I'm hunting, it's not much I got a little Bic lighter and pack of matches in a sandwich bag, then another sandwich bag with crayons in there and some regular cotton balls.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I got a tin on me at all times.basic stuff rly.but its like my last chance edc.in case i lose everything else.

Mirror, waterproof matches, small blade, line with hooks and sinkers, condom, pain meds, 1 soup cube and 1 piece of hard candy, some phone numbers and a bit of cash.

Wrapped it all in 2 layers of duct tape to waterproof..

·
Banned
1,238 Posts
Standard Military Tin contents:

Military Scout Pocket Survival Tin contents:

(1) Weather Resistant Tin Container (Includes Rubber Seal)
(1) Mil Spec Outer Packaging for maximum protection of the survival kit (Mil-Prf-81705 Type 1)
(1) Adventurer Button Compass (NATO/U.S. Military Issue)
(10) All Weather Survival Matches (NATO/U.S. Military Issue)
(1) Derma Safe Razor Knife (U.S. Military Approved)
(1) Sewing Kit w/6 Safety Pins (Assembled in USA)
(6) MP1 Water Purification Tablets (U.S. Military Issue)
(1) Adventurer Survival Whistle (SOLAS/NATO Approved)
(1) Mini Survival Fishing Kit (Assembled in USA)
(1) Vinyl Tape Waterproof Kit Seal
(1) Type 1A Utility Cord (U.S. Military Approved)
(1) Brass Snare Wire (Trapping and Equipment Repair)
(1) Emergency Signal Mirror (Daytime Emergency Signaling)
(2) Beeswax Candles (Made in USA)
(1) Compact Flint Fire Starter w/Striker (Adventurer Series)
(3) Fire Starter Tinder Tabs (Adventurer Series)
(1) Adventurer Fresnel Lens Fire Starter (Adventurer Series)
(6) Band Aids/Butterfly Bandages
(1) Pocket Wire Saw (Made in USA)
(2) Industrial Grade Tie Wraps
(1) Water Bag
(1) Survival Instructions (Made in USA)
(1) Pencil
(1) Silica Gel Desiccant (Moisture Absorbent)

To which I would add 2 Mylar Space Blankets.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Who has one of these last ditch survival tin kits and what do you have in it ?
I have mine in a 3x5 ish candy tin i got from cracker barrel. Outside is decked out with Cobra Commander and kept closed with rubber bands. ive got some matches, lighter, flintnsteel, compass, extra knife, tinder, saw, water purification tabs, anti-diarrhea tablets and some other goodies. Keep it in the center console of my car with a glock 23, extra mag, sunglasses, extra knife, LED flashlight, and pad and pen. Should keep me alive long enough to get to whatever else I may need, and I generally am not farther than a day's walk from home. I live in rural MS though. Good folks if I ever get stranded, so this is really a kit to keep me alive for a few days just in case, not SHTF.

·
Premium Member
9,850 Posts
I have an "emergency" tin I keep in my desk at work. Easier than walking out to the truck for the real FAK when I need something. It holds a few bandages, butterflies, immodium, tweezers, lighter, antiseptic wipes.

·
Premium Member
9,850 Posts
to store my scab collection in to gross out my sister when she is eating corn flaks maybe.
That needs to be in a glass container so she can see it. I have mine up on the shelf next to my collection of toenail clippings.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I have the pouch and tin on my ESEE 5 sheath, it holds some matches, tinder ferro rod hooks, line and sinkers, a small Arkansas stone and a plastic survival card. A bicycle inner tube cut to the thickness of the tin and wrapped around the circumference keeps it sealed up and reasonably air tight.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts