Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Use Of Force Laws and Disaster Situations | Preparedness United

Those are my thoughts on it, anyway.

Sure, WROL is possible, but how do you know if that has happened or not? Or if it is going to stay that way?

People like the TV guy who claims he's going to be a marauder and steal other people's supplies (yeah, I know it's just entertainment and he's basically an actor, but others may follow not knowing this), they are telling us they haven't thought this all the way through.

Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
9,641 Posts
It would depend on the situation. Is this a natural disaster like Katrina or a tornado? Even then you can have looters.

Have we been attacked by a foreign nation? Have major cities been nuked or an emp event?

Some will use any excuse to riot and loot. Even winning or losing a football game. Try any of that at my place and it will cost ya.

Your article was too vague to be able to offer specifics but I can tell you that I will not attack unprovoked but I will defend my home and family regardless of the situation. BTW, that is legal in Texas.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
If mine are in peril I will act. If this does not deter you from killing or raping the innocent you will likely have no more problems. I wish you well to a point.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
As a PC wargamer, we had a green new guy join the game not so long ago and he got fed up of the way most people were pussyfooting around, so he called in an artillery bombardment
The pussyfooters yelled at him "Why did you do that?", to which he answered "What do you mean? Arty was available so I called it in!"
He can be on my team any time he likes, and in my survival group when SHTF..:)

"Never fear to use overwhelming devastating firepower, let the fear be your enemies"- wargamers saying
"The day goes to whoever is first to plaster the enemy with fire"- Erwin Rommel
"Whoever fires first, wins"- Israeli military doctrine

·
Administrator
15,411 Posts
Its sure nice to live in a castle doctrine state....
And of course the law in Florida extends that for a concealed firearms license holder to anywhere he or she is legally allowed to be.
The infamous "Stand your ground law" that makes liberals wet their pants in abject terror.
Hmmm. I wonder if that's why this new knock-out game stuff isn't pulled down here.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
There are lots of vids on the net showing holdups of American convenience stores, liquor stores, jewellery stores etc, but to my amazement most of the time the owners and clerks try to fight off the gun-toting or knife-toting robbers with brooms or sticks, or throw cartons at them!
Why don't they just pull a gun and start blasting?

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
There are lots of vids on the net showing holdups of American convenience stores, liquor stores, jewellery stores etc, but to my amazement most of the time the owners and clerks try to fight off the gun-toting or knife-toting robbers with brooms or sticks, or throw cartons at them!
As strange as it may sound the use of a gun is not always the first thought in the mind of Americans. The gun is a last resort - when you have no other choice. Regardless of what some Britts think Americans are not living in "the old west" where guns and gunplay was more common - it wasn't "common" in the old west either.

·
Administrator
15,411 Posts
As strange as it may sound the use of a gun is not always the first thought in the mind of Americans. The gun is a last resort - when you have no other choice. Regardless of what some Britts think Americans are not living in "the old west" where guns and gunplay was more common - it wasn't "common" in the old west either.
Also most employers forbid the employees from carrying guns on company property.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
And of course the law in Florida extends that for a concealed firearms license holder to anywhere he or she is legally allowed to be.
The infamous "Stand your ground law" that makes liberals wet their pants in abject terror.
Hmmm. I wonder if that's why this new knock-out game stuff isn't pulled down here.
SC too! I was shocked the rinos passed that one. Shocked but pleased.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
For all the guns our citizenry supposedly has, a lot of people are simply not armed or keep one around in that situation. I worked convenience stores when I was young. I was too young to own a handgun and conceal carry at the time and everyone I worked with older simply didn't care enough. I've worked retail besides when I was younger and you simply can't carry with most large companies because of policy and dress code. The only stores I've ever seen someone have a gun around were the small privately owned places. I eventually would like to get out of what I'm doing now and open a small shop of my own, and I will definitely carry. I don't go anywhere now without one and carry weapons for a living now in my line of work. Anyone coming into my shop looking for trouble will find it. I'll require any manager to be trained and armed also or they won't be working for me.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I believe what the article is stating is that people need to follow the same laws in a natural disaster as they would in everyday practice because they will be held accountable once things get back to normal.
I think your dead right about that. Law and Order if even only temporarily lost will return and you can certainly rest assured when the smoke clears you will eventually be held accountable for your actions. It might take a while but your day of reckoning is bound to come back and haunt you if you acted unmorally or outside the confines of whats considered lawful. The way I see it, if you couldn't get away with it before a disaster during a time of peace your not likely going to escape the long arm of the law later down the road when things have returned back to something that resembles normalcy.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Different situations call for different measures. Looting in a natural disaster would not be something I would do, mainly because the timeframes are so small that order will be restored and there is no point to it, oh yeah its wrong to steal from other people.

In a true SHTF scenario where state or national order may not be restored for years/decades it is different. You may have a moral convictions but at the end of the day, if my family is starving after a pandemic has wiped out 80% of the population, I have no objections to raiding the local store / mini mart / unoccupied homes / whatever as I am sure they would be abandoned for good anyways.

Then there is the latter half of looting from occupied homes / dwellings. I will do what I have to for my families / groups survival but we will cross that bridge when we get to it.

I think your dead right about that. Law and Order if even only temporarily lost will return and you can certainly rest assured when the smoke clears you will eventually be held accountable for your actions. It might take a while but your day of reckoning is bound to come back and haunt you if you acted unmorally or outside the confines of whats considered lawful. The way I see it, if you couldn't get away with it before a disaster during a time of peace your not likely going to escape the long arm of the law later down the road when things have returned back to something that resembles normalcy.
I Disagree, how many of the hundreds if not thousands looters from Katrina were charged with looting? Do you really think a looter is going to look back and say "Man I wish I wouldn't have looted all of this stuff, it is really haunting my soul plus it's immoral and illegal too!" Yeah you might have a couple people who just went with the mob and acted on impulse but the majority of people who steal don't have a problem with it or they wouldn't have done it in the first place.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Been thinking of this more and more.

If you're alone and leave the house to go loot, who's to say that someone is t going to come by and loot your house?

Would looting be worth it if you came back and half your preps were gone?

Would leaving the house be worth it?

I guess it'd have to depend of what time frame were talking about

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
If you are out looting other homes why would it be wrong for someone to loot yours?

If I am out to do some bartering and I came home to a looted home (neither is very likely) I would find out who it was and when I saw them they could return my stuff or lose something of personal value.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts