Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my first "post heart attack" appointment with my Cardiologist today and got a clean bill. I was released to go back to work, and told "if you feel like you can do it, then do it. Resume activities as normal. Most of them anyway..."

Blood Pressure was excellent, heart sounded great, pulse strong and slow, ready for action! The downside; Attached to Plavix for the rest of my life to keep the Stent clear, Lipitor for the Cholesterol and Aspirin to thin the blood. That puts a spin on the prepping if anything ultra long term occurs, that I haven't quite figured out how to address yet. However, it gives me some resolve to look into how folks deal with life long medical issues if there is a long term or "permanent" event.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Glad to hear you are doing well!

If you want to stock up - just have your Dr. send a script over to a canadian pharmacy and have them shipped to your door... Wait don't do that, that is 'illegal'. But theoretically, if you do so, you can get a years supply of both for ~$200, and that could be in addition to whatever you keep normally from the local pharmacy.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Is the Lipitor necessary, or can you permanently alter your diet? Anything that lists sui-homicidal depression as a possible side effect scares the bejeezus out of me. Glad you're doing better either way!

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is the Lipitor necessary, or can you permanently alter your diet? Anything that lists sui-homicidal depression as a possible side effect scares the bejeezus out of me. Glad you're doing better either way!
Unfortunately it's necessary. 85% of the issue I had last week was hereditary, mostly High Cholesterol. I'm only 44 and I don't eat a lot of junk, rarely have fast food and though I eat more greasy food than I should, I don't eat a lot of it overall. I don't eat a lot of red meat, mostly chicken and pork, fish when I can. I'm not a "super-healthy", vegan, all organic Tofu garden burger kind of guy, but I don't sit around eating bags of Dorito's, living on bacon and all things pork fat either.

This goes back several generations on both my parents side, male and female. I escaped the heart disease, but not the cholesterol issues and my heart attack was a matter of plugged plumbing as my body apparently doesn't process any type of fat or fat by-product; it just deposits it in my arteries. :D

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
That's good news! Glad to hear you're back in the race.

Reactions: bigdogbuc

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Last time I went for a checkup the Dr. told me before she even got the test results back I had a high cholesterol diet. I told her "Should be fine though. I've probably got high blood pressure to. So IF my arteries are clogged the high blood pressure will make sure all the blood gets where it needs just like it should, like a high pressure oil pump in a tight tolerance race car engine.". She seemed very unimpressed. :D And actually a little mad when my cholesterol came back lower than hers. :D :D She was a vegan, I believe we have incisors for a reason. Red meat = YUMM!!!

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Unfortunately it's necessary. 85% of the issue I had last week was hereditary, mostly High Cholesterol. I'm only 44 and I don't eat a lot of junk, rarely have fast food and though I eat more greasy food than I should, I don't eat a lot of it overall. I don't eat a lot of red meat, mostly chicken and pork, fish when I can. I'm not a "super-healthy", vegan, all organic Tofu garden burger kind of guy, but I don't sit around eating bags of Dorito's, living on bacon and all things pork fat either.
I hope you know I wasn't intending to infer that you were or are eating poorly. The question was supposed to be face value, "what are the alternatives" and nothing else. :) That's a rough ride, but I'm sure things will work out for the best!

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
It is great to hear you are doing better! :D

I'm not a "super-healthy", vegan, all organic Tofu garden burger kind of guy, but I don't sit around eating bags of Dorito's, living on bacon and all things pork fat either.
Don't go all vegan. Every vegan I have ever met (that has been a vegan for a while) has a gray-gaunt complexion and smells like ass. They sure don't look very healthy to me. Plus, they all seem to be pissed-off all of the time. So their risks of heart problems might (or might not) be lower, but that is more than offset by the increased risks of getting punched in the face for just generally being dicks. :)

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Don't go all vegan. Every vegan I have ever met (that has been a vegan for a while) has a gray-gaunt complexion and smells like ass. They sure don't look very healthy to me. Plus, they all seem to be pissed-off all of the time.
This about sums up my view on vegans.

How-Do-You-Know-If-Someone-Is-Vegan.jpg

·
Super Moderator
9,073 Posts
I assume you had an early morning blood draw. When you did the blood draw for the tests, were you told to drink a big glass of water about 30-60 minutes before the blood draw? If you don't, you will be dehydrated and your blood tests will give erroneous results. Your blood will be "thicker" with the cholesterol for instance.
By the way, good to hear your out of the woods.

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I hope you know I wasn't intending to infer that you were or are eating poorly. The question was supposed to be face value, "what are the alternatives" and nothing else. :) That's a rough ride, but I'm sure things will work out for the best!
Not at all Double 'D'. I knew what you meant. The problem is I don't eat all that bad to begin with so there wasn't much more I could do.

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It is great to hear you are doing better! :D

Don't go all vegan. Every vegan I have ever met (that has been a vegan for a while) has a gray-gaunt complexion and smells like ass. They sure don't look very healthy to me. Plus, they all seem to be pissed-off all of the time. So their risks of heart problems might (or might not) be lower, but that is more than offset by the increased risks of getting punched in the face for just generally being dicks. :)
Inor, this has to be my favorite post of yours ever! Just damn funny! :lol: ::clapping:: Thanks for the laugh....

Reactions: Meangreen and Inor

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Actually if the stress of SHTF doesn't kill you, the peace of mind after the fact will probably drop your blood pressure so much that you will feel fine. Then combine that with NON-GMO foods in your system, a healthy diet of wild game and horse meat, and SHAZAM you are healthy.

BIG FINGER to the medical / pharmicudical industries, did you know on the average doctors live 22 years LESS than the common man?

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Glad to hear you are doing well!

If you want to stock up - just have your Dr. send a script over to a canadian pharmacy and have them shipped to your door... Wait don't do that, that is 'illegal'. But theoretically, if you do so, you can get a years supply of both for ~$200, and that could be in addition to whatever you keep normally from the local pharmacy.
It's not illegal if you have a prescription.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts