Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
I have read this before and it is always good to read it again because there is a lot of good advise. Thanks for posting it.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Some of us have seen the results. Maybe that is why we are ready.
It could happen here.
"After a month or two, gangs started operating, destroying everything. Hospitals, for example, turned into slaughterhouses. There was no more police. About 80 percent of the hospital staff were gone. I got lucky. My family at the time was fairly large (15 people in a large house, six pistols, three AKs), and we survived (most of us, at least). "

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I don't want to ever be in that situation. Prepared or otherwise, yet to think such things can't happen...is simply sticking my head in the sand. Honestly though push come to shove I'd much rather be prepared than not. Even though being fully prepared may still not be enough...scary stuff...

I think that it's hard for some to get their head around just how bad it can get...this might be a bit of a reality check for those folks. One can't throw a few cans of beanie weenies up on the shelf and then expect that to be enough to get through a major disaster unscathed. Yet I suspect that is a majority of people do...present company excluded...lol

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I have 500 lighters in my barter stash after reading that a few months back

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Interesting article, the moral of which seems to be GET OUT OF THE CITIES WHILE YOU STILL CAN!
There are people in this forum who are already out of cities living on ranches and farms etc growing their own food and shooting bunnies etc, so they'll be the ones most likely to survive when the cities go into meltdown.
Also those with bugout locations in the country will stand a good chance of surviving too, providing they can get out of the cities through the roadblocks and cordons and gangs etc.
The rest of us poor shmucks will be trapped like rats in the concrete jungle and our only chance is to stockpile enough stuff to tide us over until the Emergency hopefully ends in a few weeks or months (gulp)..

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Bosnia lasted three years. If the US suffered an economic breakdown or a large EMP it could last longer, up to 20 years.
I sometime get frustrated with some of the posts here because it sounds like they don't understand what it is going to be like to be without all the things we are accustomed to. Can you imagine having eaten nothing for four days and then you see a house with lights on? That's what solar panels or a generator are - a sign that says, "I have everything you need." That is why I won't have power for lights or heat. The convenience is not worth the problems that stem from its use.

Reactions: AquaHull

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Window shades, heavy curtains and a 1 candlepower lighting instrument, and last but not least-low flash gunpowder to protect the nightvision.::clapping::

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
That could never happen here, Right? And if it did, wouldn't the United Nations step in to give us food, blankets and shelter? The Red Cross? Obama? National Guard? Just kidding! I totally don't trust anybody. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just finished reading the article. I am new to prepping and that is the first tome I have heard of some of the things in the article. It really opened my mind to how things can get. It also makes me realize I have a long way to go to be ready for shtf

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Every once in a while I'll read an article like this one, for some it may be a refresher for others a wake up call. However one wants to view the article, it does provide some food for thought...

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Instead of buying "lighter fluid" just buy gallons of Naptha at the hardware store. You will find it in the paint supplies with paint thiners. It is exactly the same but it costs a lot less and it stores better. Its all I have used in my Zippo lighters for years.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Interesting set of articles. Bosnia suffered from "ethnic cleansing" between religious groups, which is how people got trapped inside sectors or inside cities. European wars are not really comparable to the USA, but the situations the writer found himself confronted by are universal.

Notice the emphasis he places on being armed with guns and ammo - in a world ruled by force this is invaluable advice. The risk of being killed by snipers is also worth noting - huge issue in cities, and a lesser problem in the countryside as well. Being able to move at night is crucial to avoid being shot.

The issues with personal hygiene, sanitation, fresh water, and the value of toilet paper, along with the need for antibiotics and disinfection supplies are especially worthy of consideration and planning for. The needs for those with babies in diapers, and feminine hygiene, which are not discussed, are considerations as well, if you need to take such issues into account....

Notice how quickly he traded gold for ammo. And how barter items were needed - knives, lighters, fuel, TP, etc.

This also shows how quickly available resources get consumed near population centers. Wood for fires was gone in the first two months. Eating pigeons and rats....

If you are a city dweller, you need to evacuate before it all goes to Hades in a hand basket....

·
Registered
724 Posts
Have seen similar articles but never this one. From what I see, we need weapons with PLENTY of ammo. Reloading would be a valuable skill, as long as the components are stockpiled. Beyond defense, items for barter are a must. If you can't stockpile enough to cover all scenarios, have enough to barter for what you need. Food for thought!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Good luck on that ammo. Shelves are still pretty empty. We went to 'try on' 4 weapons today, but there wasn't much ammo, and what there was cost a fortune. I don't know if our money is better spent elsewhere right now. :/

·
Registered
724 Posts
IngaLisa, I agree. Ammo IS in short supply right now! No matter how much you have, it's never enough! Same goes for all prepping items. When is it enough?

Now, your post about distilling water on another thread really has me thinking!!!:idea:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts