Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My day job brings me into contact with Law Enforcement on a daily basis. Today, out of the blue, one detective I was talking to told me he was buying and stockpiling ammo with every paycheck. He said that once society breaks down, the cops won't be able to protect anyone. This comes from someone I consider to be very level-headed. I have known him for years and had no idea he thought this way. I don't ever discuss my belief in preparedness with anyone at work and no one has any idea what I do outside of work. I found his frank statement to me to be an unexpected warning of what is to come. Has anyone had any similar experiences?

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
yikes. the SLO in my area is stock piling as well. i buy amo with every check too. i cant encourage my kids enough to use thier ammo conservatively. sure i got to the range a lot but usually just take 50 shots max per night combine calibur. usually i may shoot just 20-30 rounds. its more social why i go. My club is like a feakin disneyland bar, resturaunt 9 diff ranges on 100 acres

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
My day job brings me into contact with Law Enforcement on a daily basis. Today, out of the blue, one detective I was talking to told me he was buying and stockpiling ammo with every paycheck. He said that once society breaks down, the cops won't be able to protect anyone. This comes from someone I consider to be very level-headed. I have known him for years and had no idea he thought this way. I don't ever discuss my belief in preparedness with anyone at work and no one has any idea what I do outside of work. I found his frank statement to me to be an unexpected warning of what is to come. Has anyone had any similar experiences?
Your "friend" was obviously a prepper and without saying it was trying to inform you. You could have made an ally there, I would suggest looking him back uo.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Montana - That's exactly what I was thinking. He asked if I ever go to the local range to shoot and I told him no, I just shoot at the range out my backdoor. We did agree to get together for some high-power rifle shooting soon. I'm still cautious, but willing to probe a little further without me revealing much.

·
9,016 Posts
Montana - That's exactly what I was thinking. He asked if I ever go to the local range to shoot and I told him no, I just shoot at the range out my backdoor. We did agree to get together for some high-power rifle shooting soon. I'm still cautious, but willing to probe a little further without me revealing much.
I agree with playing it close to your vest. You never know "what evil lurks in the heart of man".

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Not to down play it but lets look at recent events regarding "ammo." Clearly these guys are aware of the ammo shortage. There was a town in Minnesota that sent out a direct mail piece to every home asking for .40 cal for the police department as they were running low. No doubt the ammo pinch put a hit on police departments all over the nation. Any police officer that takes shooting more than serious (say as a hobby) no doubt saw the recent events and cops make for some of the most reactionary people on the planet - its their nature. I can see them reacting to this shortage with a buying spree, a stock up, etc.

·
Registered
72 Posts
If TSHTF cops will have an advantage... Weapons training.. Abundance of guns and ammo, and they train together. They are pretty much a big gang not to be messed with.
I am a stout supporter of law enforcement, they are human and are not perfect. They have a tuff job and 99% of the time they are doing the right thing.
Remember the sheep do not like the sheepdog until a wolf is around.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
im not too worried about cops. they are some of the worst shooters. yep some of my favorite range students. its the military guys you gotta hook up with.
We had ocaisions to use the San Diego County Sherrif's Dept range for certain training back in the day. The average cop is indeed not that accomplished of a marksman, but I can tell ya some of those SWAT units out there have some real shooters.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
FYI lady and gents cops are rarely taught for accuracy. They are taught to shoot center mass not bullseyes, and to do so fast. In fact did you know the typical police shooting is at a distance of less than 7 feet. The one who fires first wins. I was speaking with a local police chief last night. His department is 320 officers. I got no sense of any kind of panic from him. He did say they had not aquifer ammo since July of last year and that when he line items ammo in this years budget he is going to increase the dollar figure about 75% but not to buy more just pay the price. He said they buy 400,000 rounds a year.

·
Registered
9 Posts
SO, did he say when he thinks things are going down, or is he just keeping up with trends? I think 2014 is going to be a heated year.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I reload so I have no trouble with the shortage of ammo. I do have stockpiles for all components for the calibers I use.
None of my neighbors know that there are firearms in the house, and I want to keep it that way. :wink:

Any good cop will tell you that when the cops are called, the time they show up the crime has been committed and the criminals are gone.
I know a few cops and they tell they can't shoot a target at 5m away. This is why they need certification yearly.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Many good points have been brought up so far. What amazed me was that it wasn't just ammo being stockpiled. I think most would agree that while expensive, ammo is one of the easiest things to store for future use. It takes a lot more skill and commitment to prepare your water source, food, medicine etc. When level headed guys start thinking that way, it causes my warning radar to pause and look. As for the shooting skills of the LEO's I deal with, most are very, very good. The SWAT guys are great as would be expected. I have been fortunate to attend many shooting schools and clinics shooting side by side with LEO's. Other than a few, most are damn good shots. I'm talking about the rural deputies and small city cops. The SWAT guys I've trained with I would want on my side in a firefight. I can't compare them to the military as I have few contacts there.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
2014 is going to be more ofthe same. More attempts at restricting rights, court battles to dump bad gun laws and government trying to get more power. In the meantime Russia is building underground manufacturing plants, China is building a Pacific Naval Fleet and the Middle East is trying to gode Israel into a war.

When you see Israel go to war and the USA is making moves to help them that is when you need to get twitchy. I believe that that move will give Russia and China the excuse to fire on america to end the US policy of intervention. I also believe that the US will takethe hit without retaliation to involve the UN to defeat China and Russia. I further believe that China will disconnect from russia to eliminate them as a rival. With the US military down(faked but down), China will be the big boy on the block, and the UN will be able to disarm american citizens. I don't know that this will happen but it seems the most likely thing to occur simply because it will save the US economy, disarm the US civilians, and leave China in the position of world police allowing the USA to rebuild a stronger more powerful government. since the military hit at the beginning is faked instead of taking a decade to rebuild it will only take months and then if China decides to make war on the US - well it will be a surprise to them to find that our nuclear arsenal is intact and ready.

To prepare for this I have moved away from population centers, away from primary and secondary targets, have food and drink for a year and my guns and ammo will be protected from the gun grab.
(concrete slabs with reinforcing in them are great for hinding things under)

Reactions: nechaev
1 - 19 of 19 Posts