Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a pretty good show put together in it and You tube video to watch. The potential for an X class solar flare that could burn out our grids and put us back in the 1800's lifestyle is certainly there. It's simply whether it does. They touch base on what was likely a major solar flare event in 1859 as a scientist researched and how it burned out the telegraph system of the day which was really the only electrical system at the time, but we're in a time where electrical based systems are what we truly rely on to live in mass. The after effect wouldn't go as unnoticed.

The Sun-Earth Connection: Heliophysics Overview | NASA

Solar flare - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Atmosphere Amber Orange Atmospheric phenomenon Fire

·
Registered
24,529 Posts
On the other hand, this is a very mild peak for the cycle, and the ex-spurts :)D) are saying this is going to bring us global cooling.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
I like the spaceweather.com site. Daily updates and a wealth of information about "stuff" up there. I have sometimes noticed some computer "glitches" on days they have posted a slight x-class flare passing earth. At least I can blame that instead of my own computer ineptness.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
Thanks for the post. That was an interesting video.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Something that you should also remember:

The last direct hit by a large scale Coronal mass ejection was in the middle of the solar MINIMUM. we can get hit with solar storms at any time that the sun decides to launch a flare or CME to a place and time that the earth will be. (it actually has to be released ahead of us because of the time it takes to get this far out)

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
just don't forget our magnetic field protects us from these events, with rumors of the field weakening, we are at grater risk...

just had to add

·
Registered
965 Posts
No worries here. Man survived and thrived in the 1800s, I'm sure after the weak are culled from the herd the strong will survive and thrive again.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
One third of the world's population died in the plague years. A modern equivalent would take out twice that percentage. We travel so fast to so many parts of the globe any disease would be spread across the globe before the patient zero was determined. Very few known bugs will kill all those exposed and those don't live long enough to be a world wide epidemic. Some will always survive. Some will never be exposed. The problem is that those with the knowledge to rebuild technologies live in the places that are likely to be hardest hit. How many here know how to make an AC generator, a smelting furnace, or a mechanical loom?

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
How many here know how to make an AC generator,
i can I can, even with wires and a magnet... but will I survive... only time will tell :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts