Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. We're excited to get to you all of you and learn from you.

OUR INTRODUCTION:

Later this month, my family and I are moving into an 10,000 sqft underground bunker.

It will basically be our full underground house.

We plan on documenting the transition and experience on youtube.

If you have any questions, feel free to send them our way.

We are super excited but also nervous. Please wish us luck.

Thanks

Bunker Family

FAQ

Q. Why are you moving into an underground bunker?
A. This is the question we hear most often and probably the hardest one to answer because I don't think we know 100% sure what the ONE over arching reason is. We have lots of small reasons and prepping answers always end up sounding crazy to people. But our major motivation for everything we do is more freedom and self sufficiency.

Q. What about sunlight?
A. We don't plan on staying underground all the time. We will also have land and plan on spending a lot of our time above ground.

Q. What's your YouTube Channel?
A. If you're really interested in following our journey, you can search for us on youtube "Underground Bunker Family"

Q. You're safer if you keep this quite. Why are you doing videos?
A. Yes, we had a big debate about whether we should share it or keep it 100% private but in the end thought it might help others if we could document the process. We think we can keep a balance between privacy and sharing. Besides, we homeschool and my kids are getting some great experience through making the videos.

Q. Can you tell us more about how you are doing this and how much it cost?
A. We will be talking more about this later.

Q. Don't you know about all the issues involved with underground houses?
A. Yes, we have been looking to do this for 5 years so we are aware of many of the difficulties with underground living but feel like we are up to the challenge.

·
Registered
9,221 Posts
My bunker is 720 square feet, made of concrete and steel, cost $22,000 in material 30 years ago.

I did 90% of the work myself including the engineering.

It is not a home but a redoubt, I virtually live next to it.

Ten thousand square feet, what did that cost 2.5 mil?

Is it a underground home or a true bunker like mine that will keep out 13.5# of over pressure?

You must be well off to build that or you bought an old missile silo.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Socom42. It's an old communications bunker so it didn't cost me millions. It has 2000lbs blast doors, shut valves for large pressure changes. It's pretty awesome. I can't wait to move in.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Hello everyone. We're excited to get to you all of you and learn from you.

OUR INTRODUCTION:

Later this month, my family and I are moving into an 10,000 sqft underground bunker.

It will basically be our full underground house.

We plan on documenting the transition and experience on youtube.

If you have any questions, feel free to send them our way.

We are super excited but also nervous. Please wish us luck.

Thanks

Bunker Family

FAQ

Q. Why are you moving into an underground bunker?
A. This is the question we hear most often and probably the hardest one to answer because I don't think we know 100% sure what the ONE over arching reason is. We have lots of small reasons and prepping answers always end up sounding crazy to people. But our major motivation for everything we do is more freedom and self sufficiency.

Q. What about sunlight?
A. We don't plan on staying underground all the time. We will also have land and plan on spending a lot of our time above ground.

Q. What's your YouTube Channel?
A. If you're really interested in following our journey, you can search for us on youtube "Underground Bunker Family"

Q. You're safer if you keep this quite. Why are you doing videos?
A. Yes, we had a big debate about whether we should share it or keep it 100% private but in the end thought it might help others if we could document the process. We think we can keep a balance between privacy and sharing. Besides, we homeschool and my kids are getting some great experience through making the videos.

Q. Can you tell us more about how you are doing this and how much it cost?
A. We will be talking more about this later.

Q. Don't you know about all the issues involved with underground houses?
A. Yes, we have been looking to do this for 5 years so we are aware of many of the difficulties with underground living but feel like we are up to the challenge.
Hey Welcome to The Forum. I think myself among the others will be very interested in your family trip.

I hope you keep this thread or if you choose to start another thread up to date with your ups and downs, positive and negatives and everything about your journey Underground.

Good luck

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
@bunkerfamily, that's awesome, Please elaborate on your other preps, do you enjoy canning, fishing, hunting?
Is this a "real show" or scripted material?

·
Super Moderator
State of Grace
6,817 Posts
Welcome, welcome! What an exciting introduction you've given us. Looking forward to hearing all about your journey.

·
Administrator
15,481 Posts
If Deebo is cool with it, it must be worth checking out.

Welcome from Florida, bunker family, where if you dig down more than 10 feet you're sitting in water.
I'm just an Old Soldier so I prefer freedom of movement if things get bad. And I'm claustrophobic too, so there's no way I'm holing up underground.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
I took the advice of my good pal Deebo and watched your video and he is right... You have a lovely family. I am looking forward to hearing more about your adventure.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Welcome to The Forum. I think myself among the others will be very interested in your family trip.

I hope you keep this thread or if you choose to start another thread up to date with your ups and downs, positive and negatives and everything about your journey Underground.

Good luck

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Thanks. we plan on making daily videos so we are forced to keep people updated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@bunkerfamily, that's awesome, Please elaborate on your other preps, do you enjoy canning, fishing, hunting?
Is this a "real show" or scripted material?
Hey Deebo, We have mostly just worked on food storage up until now. We are a bit new to prepping outside of this, except all the things I've learned from becoming an eagle scout. The videos are not scripted but because we are doing them daily, it does force us to be a little more proactive with our activities. The videos are just our family updates and the things we are doing and thinking through. We are new to making videos but my kids are youtube lovers and they are trying to learn everything they can about making videos in this process.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bunker Family,

Q. Do you have a contingency plan for pizza delivery?
Good question. I like your way of thinking! I guess we have to either wait by the road or do pickup to keep our location private. ;) But ideally we want to be as self sufficient as possible so if we never order delivery again, I'd be ok with that. What about we just make our own wood fire pizza oven?

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
An Eagle Scout, in past terms, is a hellova distinction. Awesome.
I don't know about today.
Sweet, well, we have lots of great discussions on here, food sealing, jerky making, grilling, growing, smoking (meat, cheese and vegetables HA), I saw in your video, you have a great looking pantry. We talk about all kinds of great stuff here, and we occasionly fight, and according to red line, we misspell words too.
I wish you luck, and will follow the progress.
Deebo

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
10,107 Posts
Howdy, from Texas.

An interesting venture you've set off on. In order to properly ascertain your chances of survival in this bunker, we will need to know the GPS coordinates. We can then accurately asses your environmental concerns and potential areas of unforeseen danger... like marauding raiders who randomly obtained your GPS coordinates.

I don't know if 16' ceilings will be enough to contain that hairdo.
:tango_face_grin:

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Welcome bunker family, a freind of mine purchased an old comms bunker 10 yrs ago. Todate, I know it is located in Kansas and have been informed of its rough location and at what dinner to meet my freind at. You in in for hell of ride to update some systems, cleaning out large fuel storage tanks for the big industrial diesel generator, which that will need maintenance. Your air pressure check valves will need monthly checks and annual maintenance themselves. Hope you got some good mechanical skills. I am retired navy and worked on pressure equalization check valves, firemain valves and magazine spinkler system valves from 1/2 diameter to 16 inch diameter. Like I said welcome and get ready for some serious work. Oh by the way, your diesel generator fuel storage capacity is going be close to 10,000 gallons. Right now to top off that is $300k right there with the price of fuel in my area. And that is if the tanks are clean. You should stock pile a couple yrs worth of filters for fuel supply line as well. Yes sir, in for big undertaking there.

Yoop

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Hell I bought my underground bunker for $600 it's 4x 8x 6 and comes with a granite stone marker. Bound to last me a lifetime. Other than that my ass is staying above ground.

Good luck to you and I hope your kids don't end up like "The Hills have eyes" folks. All in all an underground home can be like any other home...comes with pluses and negatives. just paint some window scenes on the walls to keep the mind right.

OSFG

·
Registered
458 Posts
Interesting videos. My only suggestion is to try and equalize the volume of talking and the music in between. I've found that to listen I had turn the volume way up, then the music comes on in between things and its way too loud. Makes it very difficult to listen to and I was tempted to just stop watching. The pet store one was the worst, but the penny one was only marginally better. As for the bunker, when do we get a video tour?

·
Banned
21,290 Posts
OK @bunkerfamily Dad,

Ordinarily I'd rip you a new one but for some strange reason I was quite captivated by your Project. There is certainly some obvious pluses and minuses to living in a Bunker but then again there are plenty of pluses and minuses to living in a ordinary dwelling above land, or in a subdivision, or in a high rise or whatever. :tango_face_smile:

Regardless, I will give you my very difficult to earn "Slippy Approved" Badge and look forward to more info from you. :vs_shake:

Welcome to the Forum!

Your friend,

Slippy! :vs_wave:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts