Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HEART BREAKING how much stuff gets wasted! When my flight came back from Iraq we were told to leave the keys in the ignition of all civilian vehicles and leave them where they sat for the locals to take at their will. I'm talking about a hundred trucks or so, every one, one or two years old with every option available (Jeep Wranglers, Cherokee's, 3/4 ton 4x4 Suburbans with 454's, etc, etc.). :cry:

We'll have to keep our eyes open at online government auctions, and DRMO sales for a while as some of the goodies might make it home from Afg.!

Uncle Sam's Yard Sale: Gov't looks to unload Afghanistan war hardware | Fox News

·
Registered
559 Posts
I just need a couple hundred ammo cans, and maybe a few more goretex bivy sacks... No need for the heavy stuff.

But the biggest question is - why in the world would we pay customs fees to Afghanistan? seriously? what???

Although now that I think about it, one or two of those 'scrapped' MRAPs for scrap price might be neat... :-D

·
Registered
496 Posts
Having seen the waste, during both the war and the withdrawal from Vietnam, I feel that all major equipment, vehicles, combat or otherwise should be required to be removed and returned to to the United States for reclamation, transferred to guard and reserve units or sold to the American public. Have a relative that witnessed new equipment buried when paper work could not be found to document it. Saw films of millions of dollars of equipment was pushed off the end of carriers rather than bringing it back. Every piece we leave there will come back to haunt us. Anyone ever wonder what ever happen to all the scrap metal that was sold to Japan prior to WWII. Well, we actually got most of it back, but in a different form.

·
Mod Squad
2,260 Posts
I need a Bradley IFV, a Patriot missile battery, and a decent four deuce mortar, but I don't see any of them listed yet.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I need a Bradley IFV, a Patriot missile battery, and a decent four deuce mortar, but I don't see any of them listed yet.
Nah! Just a pair of GAU 8s and I'll be happy.

Reactions: BigCheeseStick

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
This is what happens when you don't actually have to pay for stuff yourself. It reminds me of the kids at the high school. I can't tell you how many items we have in lost & found; $200 cleats, $150 North Face Jackets. They just leave them. The best is when some kid loses the $500 I-Phone mommy and daddy bought them, or leaves it in the locker room and it gets stolen and the parents call me, telling me that I am responsible for finding it or retrieving it and expect me to conduct a full investigation and watch hours of video to do it.

I assure them that won't happen, especially if it occurs in the locker room. I remind them that each student is assigned a locker and a lock, and perhaps they should use it to store their valuables. And we don't have cameras in the locker room. So good luck and if they want that crap, have them get a job and pay for it them self. Then you'll see how well they take care of it.

The government has the same attitude as kids. I didn't pay for it, so why should I care?

·
Registered
921 Posts
In some cases it would cost more to repatriate the items than they are worth.
That being said, it still gripes me,

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
The US has a non stop yard sale it goes on everyday year round.
They are just making a big deal out of this.
We fought two wars it takes stuff to fight when we cut and run there is stuff left over.
Some gets destroyed some gets left to expensive to bring back. Some get sold.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts