Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all. My daughter is finally divorcing her abusive husband (thank God). I guess you can see where this is going. He has three young children from a previous marriage. So now that’s four less mouths to feed in SHTF. He didn’t bring ANYTHING to the table. The problem I have is that he knows we prep. Should I attempt to address it now, or just wait until SHTF and deal with it then?

The other issue I am having is that one of my HVAC units is not cooling like it should. The unit is in my basement which is crammed with preps. It’s too much to move while the work is being done. I think it would look funny if I covered it all with tarps. I have a couple of options as I see it. The unit is still under warranty. Should I let the contractor that installed it come do the warranty work (he is local) or call a service from about an hour away to come troubleshoot and fix it? The one from out of town is used by my parents and is a very reputable company.

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
You may have to deal with it later, no matter what you do today. You can tell him he can kick rocks today, but if he knows you're stocked he can still come a-knocking.

As for fixing the AC, it's a crap-shoot. The technician may not give a damn, or may take detailed notes.

·
Super Moderator
3,579 Posts
As far as the ex, I would let it be at this point. I would deal with it when/if it becomes a problem.

I agree with BPH that it is a crap shoot.

·
Registered
261 Posts
The HVAC guy from an hour away is just as much as threat. And he'll be more expensive and less likely to GAF about you and your privacy. I'd go with the local guy, and use the money you save to buy more ammo (to deal with the ex when he shows up).

·
Administrator
15,252 Posts
Your daughter should get a restraining order against the creep.
So should you.
Yes, it’s just a piece of paper, but if you ever have to use deadly force, that will be something in your favor.
As for outsiders seeing your food preps, for all they know you could be a Mormon.
In the rural South plenty of people have plenty of food put back. It’s no big deal.

Reactions: Auntie and BennyMG1

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Not much you can do about the ex SIL. He knows you prep and he can not un-know that. Just be ready if SHTF that he could be a issue.
As far as the HVAC repair goes, just get the work done. Covering things with a tarp would look more suspicious that just having extra canned goods or MRE’ on shelves. Blow it off as being ready for a second Covid run if the guys gets asking questions.
BoF

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not much you can do about the ex SIL. He knows you prep and he can not un-know that. Just be ready if SHTF that he could be a issue.
As far as the HVAC repair goes, just get the work done. Covering things with a tarp would look more suspicious that just having extra canned goods or MRE’ on shelves. Blow it off as being ready for a second Covid run if the guys gets asking questions.
BoF
Hadn’t thought of the Covid angle. That might work.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Practice some disinformation. Print out some believable labels indicating that the boxes are full of printer paper, or some other equally boring office or farm supply. Then tell a believable story about having had a printing company once upon a time.

Alternately, if the boxes are mismatched and have assorted labels already, park a couple open boxes of house hold junk on top of the stacks and label the rest of the boxes "Living Room", "Billy's Bedroom", "Kitchen", etc... Then make up a story about storing you Ex-wife's mothers stuff for her while she re-does her meth lab.

As legend has it, the first "tanks" that were shipped to Europe during WWI were shipped in crates labeled "Tank" so as to fool the dock watching spies about what they really were while they were being unloaded from the ships.

Lastly - stop and consider for a moment that you have a concern about a single repairman seeing your stuff under today's circumstance... NOW, flash forward 18 months and the "vaccine checkers" walk thru your house on special orders from the DOJ to seek out disadvantaged vaccine dodgers. They're going to see your stuff. Please consider an alternate storage location, or possibly a false wall. ANYTHING to put a small barrier between the dirty rats and your precious supplies.

You're right abut the tarp. VERY suspicious, and worth alerting the authorities!

·
Registered
6,206 Posts
Cover the stuff up it's none of his business. I would also suggest being down in the basement with him while the repairs are done. Yes watch him. If the technician is suspicious tough. Let him think what he wants it's better then knowing for sure. Your surely not the first.

·
Registered
12,493 Posts
Since the AC unit is under warranty, call and get the warranty work done. Whatever repair guy that comes out will not care that you prep or remember down the road. As far as your SIL goes, deal with him only as needed.

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
9,731 Posts
If you have anyone in your family who does in home service repairs, ask them about the things they've seen.
You will just be one of 10-20 odd stories that they have, and you won't be the worst no matter what you do.

Reactions: Auntie

·
Registered
376 Posts
Get a backhoe and dig a hole 6 feet deep 2.5 feet wide and 6 feet long. Leave the dirt buy the side of the hole. Invite him over and ask him how he likes his new hole.

You'll never see him again.

Godspeed.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Throw a couple bed sheets over the basement stuff. Casually mention you don’t want the spare furniture getting dusty.

Re: soon to be ex- son in law. Get restraining order, then see how things play out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 14 of 14 Posts