Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friday morning, spotted four turkeys 100 yards from a busy highway. Three big jakes, trophies...One smaller, do female turkeys have beards?
Saturday, about ten at the same lot...
Spring turkey season is on, I donthave a bow, or crossbow, and I know the local P.D. doesn't want me blasting in town with my 12 gauge..
I could have hit one with a rock on Friday morning, as I videod them, they crossed a drainage ditch and popped up
prob 30 yards from me...Awesome to see and makes me wanna try deep fried wild turkey...

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
Wild turkeys are not even the same SHAPE as the ones we eat. I am meaning to take one this season, too. Although it's not legal to take a turkey with a trap, it's still quite viable to run up and catch it with your hands. My neighbor sparky and me have goose tags now due to some awesome new regulation changes here in GA, he ran up to our pond and snatched a big male by the neck and snapped it back in January. The game warden laughed his ass off and took a picture of the kill when we called him, he says it's not listed but there is no current regulation against just running up and grabbing one. He kind of snuck up and lunged. The warden of the area (and it's a crazy urban area) warned us though that geese and wild birds often carry lice. DO wash your hands and sterilize your clothes with piping hot water after such an attempt. We didn't know till he told us. If nothing, fashion a primitive bow and get some carbon fiber arrows. Amazon has broadheads for 6 bucks a pack. Pop one for me brah, I'm itching. I had a hunt set up but the property fell to a wildfire and it's all gone. They will be walking lawns for a long time around there.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
The numbers are up around here as fewere and fewer peopl are hunting.

·
Registered
302 Posts
We are a family of turkey hunters,.....females don't normally have beards, but sometimes there's a surprise and you'll find one thats got one hanging...Jakes and Tom's heads are bright red normally when excited...but usually featherless where a hen will have more feathers...

Also...fried turkey, you can't beat! Hull out the breast, chunk it up and soak it in some buttermilk w/hot sauce...salt/pepper, dredge in flour and deep fry. It's wonderful!!!

Plant Military camouflage Grass Helmet People in nature

Camouflage Military camouflage Plant Sleeve Military uniform

Your'e not suppose to bait them, but a little corn in the area would keep them entertained and draw them back away from the public areas...go camo'd, use a mouth call, take your bow and go for it.

Turkeys will gobble to a horn honking, a hoot owl or a crow call or even a door slamming on a truck...where you can locate them. But you're not gonna call one into you unless you have a turkey call....

Sorry, misread, you don't have a bow? Hummmm....I'd say draw them back away from the area and use your 12 gauge...

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Thought that I was going to read the lyrics to a song here.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
A wrist rocket with some buck out of a shotshell would probably do nicely,we have used ours alot,nice and quiet.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sunday morning no turkeys, two afternoon. My friend with a bow is out of town, he will be back soon. And yes, they were goobling back at me, even when i whistled just to see what would happen. I am planning on getting licensed up in a day or so, and I will be deep frying one of these big boys. I need to invest in a decent recurve bow, but Damn, I haven't even rode the quad lately, just work work work. Slow down is scheduled for next week, so i will get back on the jerky making and hopefully learn how to clean a turkey, Youtube here I come. Since i cant download on this work computer, if I get any more film or pictuires, I will youtube them, and try to link them..

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And the wristrocket idea is great, I have one, are you aiming for a headshot only, or should I aim for vitals..
I saw a video of a guy that headshoots turkeys with a broadhead, eithre sticking them, or seriously slicing them up, I have found a nutural blind in the area, and hope to get within 15 yards, I will keep everyone posted..
And thanks for the lice update, Last thing I wanna deal with..

·
Registered
425 Posts
Most wild and farm animals are covered with vermin and parasites. Just the nature of things that live outdoors and that have hair or feathers.

.22 cal air rifle for the turkey?

Tough birds for sure -- and I did catch one by hand once -- it was hanging around the barn and finally decided to drive me away from his turf. It was a pretty good fight. Don't take turkeys lightly. They pound you with their wings, have a strong beak, and their spurs can gut you! Took me three tries to wring his neck and I was bruised up from the effort. Geese are easier...

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
And the wristrocket idea is great, I have one, are you aiming for a headshot only, or should I aim for vitals..
I saw a video of a guy that headshoots turkeys with a broadhead, eithre sticking them, or seriously slicing them up, I have found a nutural blind in the area, and hope to get within 15 yards, I will keep everyone posted..
And thanks for the lice update, Last thing I wanna deal with..
Headshot 000,might just stun,be prepared to run,and have a friend with a backup just in case,you should hunt with a buddy right?

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
get after them, man! I know if I was there right now I'd be out there waiting rain or shine or hail. I been so itching to get hunting again, I think I can finally swing it again.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, I just ordered a decent recurve crossbow, will buy the license in the morning, and will keep everyone updated. THanks Leon and Kidz, You guys made me stop thinking about it, and pull the trigger on a new crossbow. will review it also, becouse it has high ratings, and is a recurve type, did'nt want a super expensive crossbow if it broke the string in the field during a shtf scenario. Awesome, gonna be plucking tail feathers by the weekend. Leon, get your butt to Farmington, and I am confident You can bag one of these big jakes, as easy as walking to the store. I dont wanna jinx myself, but it should be Illegal how easy it looks.. well, we will see..

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pastornator, I wouldn't wanna try to wring a turkeys neck, just becouse of those spurs. I would if I had too. Always wanted to try the "reed thing" where you swim up under a duck or goose and pull him under. Thankfully I got my crossbow in and will assemble it after work tonight. The reason I haven't gotten onto the .22 cal air rifle is price, I just couldn't justify it, althou I saw some awesome ones on youtube, capable of killing coyotees.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
Pastornator, I wouldn't wanna try to wring a turkeys neck, just becouse of those spurs. I would if I had too. Always wanted to try the "reed thing" where you swim up under a duck or goose and pull him under. Thankfully I got my crossbow in and will assemble it after work tonight. The reason I haven't gotten onto the .22 cal air rifle is price, I just couldn't justify it, althou I saw some awesome ones on youtube, capable of killing coyotees.
I was looking at a .22 piston rifle and DAMN those things can get upward of like 600 bucks!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts