Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks - I have been prepping for a little while, but have quite a ways to go, to provide for myself and 4 others. I am wondering - what do people think will be the number one item that flies off the shelves if Obama gets re-elected? Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
GOLD - $1,733.70 / SILVER - $33.29 At close today. If Obama is re-elected these prices will triple in the next 4 yrs. Ammunition, cigarettes, whiskey are good things to stock up on , they store well, and will be good currency in SHTF situation. I work at a local shooting range part time, we already have trouble keeping certain brands, of certain calibers of ammo in stock. I know a lot of our customers are stockpiling ammo, they come in every Friday and buy it just like they are investing in their 401K....LOL. Ammo is what will be flying off the shelf, it already is.....

·
Registered
481 Posts
Honestly, I think bartering items will be just as useful as silver and gold in a SHTF situation. Make sure you've got a good supply of all the basics first (water, food, ammo) then I would recommend moving on to silver/gold. Gold and silver wont provide an immediate relief for a basic need in a SHTF situation.

I think Readygirl is right on in saying that ammo is going to become a commodity because people will need it to defend their loved ones and valuables. It will also be the way many people get meat to feed their family (at least in the beginning).

Skills! I think building survival skills such as food preservation and foraging will be a lifesaver as well. I really recommend building a good basic library right alongside your basic supplies and practice those skills NOW. Skills are something you will be able to barter bigtime. While others are starving, you'll know what edibles are right in their front yard and can sell that skill to them.

Some other things you'll want to consider are how your family will survive a long term SHTF situation (ie how will you prep food? how will you gather/hunt food? How will you do your winter storage. Instead of doing my long term food storage in mylar/plastic bags, I'm using vacuum sealed Mason jars inside a bucket because I will be able to reuse those jars. Just some things to consider.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I don't think that if we do have the big long lasting event silver and/or gold will be worth squat. If you came to me with a handul of gold and wanted to trade for food, I would only laugh at you. Food and ammo second will become the trade of choice. Hungry people would have little or no use for metals that they cannot eat and digest . One of the best things you could stock up on , would be garden seeds. Vegetable of course. Not the new "gobet" approved seeds, but the old Hertiage seeds that will re-generate. They would be worth their weight in gold. Gardening knowledge would be an absoulute plus , not just for you, but for teaching other. You can trade your knowledge for say a small part of their crops.

Ammo could also be valuable. Especially game rounds. .22 30-06, 12 ga. , would be my best thoughts there.

Fishing gear could also be good , if you live in a fishing area. Line, hooks, sinkers, floats, and maybe even a few cheap rods and reels would go a long way in future tradinbg.

All skills could be good. There would be a few teachers and a lot of "new older students" in the area. People will need how to fend for theselves if they want to survive. Even electronic people could maybe build or repair cb radios so that neighbors could stay in touch. Let your imagination run wild and see what you could teach others in exchange for their knowledge.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Yeast, flour, sugar, salt, and all other spices would be good. Beans, canned bacon, canned hams, spam, Aluminum Foil, Matches, Bic Lighters, Vegie seeds, Rx supplies, fish amoxicillin, TP, Cannon Fuse, Black Powder, Nipples, Gun Cleaning Solvent and Oil, WD-40, Motor Oil, Either, And just about anything else you can think of. Not much would be available. If you have the money and the storage space, Lockable, you could be one of the first black market stores around.

·
Registered
24,529 Posts
Nadja, you are bucking many centuries of history.
Means of commerce will be reestablished. Silver will be domestic trade will gold international.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Denton, I know that, but at the same time, it could be a lot of years before any kind of commerce could/would be re-established. Normally I would follow history too, but this time, I think it prudent to not follow.

Remember this: Einstein, when asked , said I don't know how ww111 will be fought, but I can tell you that ww4 will be fought with sticks and stones. That man was almost never wrong.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts