Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about rebuilding my BOB in April to try and make it a few pounds lighter. Looking for any idea on what I can switch out for something lighter or switch it out for something else.

1-Eberlestock operators back pack weight 8lbs
1 - Wenzel 2 person hiker tent 5.5lbs
1 – northface sleeping bag 6.2lbs
200’ para cord 1 lbs
100 tablets water purification 1 lb
1 sog shovel 1.9lbs
1 metal cup .5 lbs
1 metal pot 1 lbs
6 glow sticks 1 lbs
1 energizer hard case flash light .80 lbs
1 petzl E89 head lamp 1 lbs
1 flit steel fire starter .5 lbs
1 esbit ultralight folding stove & 24 bricks 2lbs
1 spork .3 lbs
1 p 38 can opener .1 lbs
2 boxes water proof matches .5 lbs
2 lighters .5lbs
1 first aid kit 4lbs
1 hand sanitizer .5 lbs
1 CRKT pocket knife * 1 lbs
1 TOPS Steel eagle 10” knife 2lbs
1 gerber folding tool* 1lbs
2 9 hour candles 1lbs
1 compass .5 lbs
1 set binoculars 3lbs
1 set of maps .5lbs
1 cell phone 1lbs
1 eton FR160b emergency radio/charger .7lb
1 n95 face mask .1 lbs
12 spare AAA 2lbs
6 spare AA 2lbs
2 pairs of wool socks 2lbs
1 pair long pants 3lbs
1 long shelve shirt 3lbs
1 military style poncho 5lbs
1 underwear .25lbs
1 fleece vest 5lbs
1 shemagh .5lbs
1 rain jacket 2lbs
3 MRE’s
6 cliff bars
1 3000 cal bar
2 water bottles 1lb when empty
1 2L camel back .5lbs
1 water purification pump 3lbs
1 travel tooth brush tooth past .5 lbs
1 small bar of soap .5lbs
1 Small roll of TP .25lbs
1 Signal mirror .25lbs
50’ duct tape .5lbs
1 small hand towl .25 lbs
1 small sun screen bottle .5lbs
1 small insect repellant bottle .5lbs
1 lifeline 29-piece survival kit* 1lbs
1 bottle of assorted pain pills & vitamins 1lbs
1 Firearm 2lbs
50 rounds ammo 6lbs

In the winter I add

1 heavy jacket 5lbs
1 set long underwear 3lbs
1 ground pad 2lbs

I left a few things off like ID and cash as I need it no matter what.

I think that covers everything in the bag...

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
154 Posts
I dont see how you got some of those weight measurements. There is no way that AA and AAA batts weigh that much. So of the other weights seem kinda high too. But I like you list of items. pack it all up and start hiking to get in shape. Find some gasline trails with alot of uphill and get yourself in shape.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
what are your underwear full of that they weight 3 lbs... maybe on second thought you shouldnt tell me. lol

i skinnied mine down and its still heavy. so i broke off the xtra into two more bags. i plan to make a coupla people my bitch on the way out of town. sounds mch worse than it is... they carry supplies for the three of us, and get to enjoy the fruits of what protection i/we can provide. it will be thier lucky day.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Tent, metal cup and pot, binoculars, signal mirror, sunscreen, and shovel. All could be replaced with lighter versions, or be completely removed. Will bugging out be harder? Yes, but the point of a bug out is to survive, and to move, not be comfortable. You could also swap a few of your MREs out with dehydrated food, and save quite a bit of weight there.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Do you have a secondary location to fall back to? Living in the woods? Need more info about planning before I can help you.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have 2 possible bug out locations the 1st is my back up but its on the way to the main one. Its about a 3 day hike if I take the longer way. Then I have my main location which is about 200 miles from my house so if I had to go by foot I would stop at the 1st one and restock/lay low there. Then I could either keep moving to my main location or stay there as I have about 2-3 weeks worth of food and water stored there.

As for my undies weighing 3lbs I meant to put .3lbs As for the batteries weighing so much they add up fast and that includes the water proof case for them.

And yes the Operator pack does have a scabbard. Which I would use to carry a rifle in addition to the glock 19 I have.

Thanks for the advise so far.

·
Registered
365 Posts
like it was said earlier, forego the tent, get some semi-thick plastic sheets.
I swapped a binocular for a monocular in my BOB (you can X out the monocular/binocular if you plan to carry a rifle with some sort of magnified scope).
I agree on the tools too.. drop some of them or find lighter ones.
Also, really think about what you can hump. My bag weights around 30 lbs. but i have backpacked in the mountains for weeks on end with a 45+lb pack.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I would say put it on and TRAIN!! Train train TRAIN!! It WILL weigh less more and more on every trip, especially by April!

·
Registered
150 Posts
your tent and sleeping bag weight could be cut considerably...a little expensive to do...but look for 1st class hiking gear to cut a couple of pounds from each of those...

·
Registered
640 Posts
The problem with most BOB's is twofold:

One: People plan for everything. You can't. Period. So... figure out what you are planning for. For example... too many people equate SHTF with TEOTWAWKI. They are not the same. Hurricane Sandy was SHTF. It was a short term safety concern... people needed to bug out to avoid flooding, falling debris, loss of power/food/water. But... the idea was that they would bug out to a hotel, friend, family, etc. Or... if they were stuck in the evac... or just broke... they needed a place to lie low for a bit. So... a prepper in that situation would need a BOB that would keep them in relative comfort for a very short period of time. TEOTWAWKI... is entirely different... it's long term... and unlikely you would ever be coming back.

Two: People often confuse "need" with "want." You would be surprised at how little you need in a SHTF situation. "Want" items increase comfort, efficiency, effectiveness, etc. But... we can all deal with a crappy situation for a lot longer than we think. For SHTF... seriously figure out what you "need", and then prioritize your "wants" and add one at a time until you can hit a weight you find acceptable. So... how do you figure out your needs? As Irish said... train, train, train. Take your BOB out... and deliberately set aside and don't use a few items. Learn how to make do with the other stuff.... and you will find a multitude of creative ways to use what you do have. In the end... you'll find that you don't "need" a lot of what you bring. And... after an overnight or multi-day trip in a "BOL", review your BOB and see what you didn't use. Next time... leave that piece at home. Over time... your BOB will get much lighter. Now... for TEOTWAWKI... take everything because life will get crappy real quick and stay crappy for a long time. My plan.... graceful degradation of "want" items. I start with a truck and trailer... but will dump the trailer if required... then will dump the truck and will use an off road buggy... then will drop the buggy and will pack out... then will drop the pack if required. Hopefully, it never gets that far. But... My most important items are in my pocket so... maybe I will still have a chance.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: Irish and punch

·
Registered
492 Posts
consider having a detactable pouch or bag to place some of these items. Have the essential in the main pack and the duplicate items or items trapped at the bottom of the main pack readily accessible in the removeable pack, specifally your firearm and ammo. Also consider collapsible cups or bowls (plastic) to save weight. Smaller radios that are actually pretty good are: made by Sangean, Tecsun and Kaito. Think about having a walking stick. I'm getting old so prodding along with an aluminum walking stick is a nice way to steady myself and appearing feeble while having a weapon in my hand. They make sword canes too.

just my $.02

punch

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'm having difficulty in your list.

As mentioned why don't you invest in some lighter gear like:

a backpack weighs in at one pound, lightweight tent & sleeping bag

You could have Potassium permanganate: that can start fire, also disinfect water.
That would drop a bunch of your over weight / multiple same objects used for the same thing
{ as in 7 items weighing in at 6 lbs }

Drop the batteries & use wind up flashlight / radio's , if I used them at all
glow sticks, candles

You have a rain jacket & poncho ?

also a camelback, 2 water bottles & a cup
how about a cup canteen combo instead?

pain pills & vitamins?
if they are not prescription you don't need them

You have way tooo much stuff for me, but that is your option.
I would have only a few of those....maybe

·
Registered
365 Posts
I would agree with insatiable EXCEPT relieving the pain pills/vitamins.
Vitamins are great especially if you are sick or starving. Meds are necessary to keep you sharp and well,plus they don't really weigh much.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have 2 possible bug out locations the 1st is my back up but its on the way to the main one. Its about a 3 day hike if I take the longer way. Then I have my main location which is about 200 miles from my house so if I had to go by foot I would stop at the 1st one and restock/lay low there. Then I could either keep moving to my main location or stay there as I have about 2-3 weeks worth of food and water stored there.

As for my undies weighing 3lbs I meant to put .3lbs As for the batteries weighing so much they add up fast and that includes the water proof case for them.

And yes the Operator pack does have a scabbard. Which I would use to carry a rifle in addition to the glock 19 I have.

Thanks for the advise so far.
Sorry for the late response. Ditch the scabbard. You are going to either want to be carrying your rifle or have it slung. If you need it in a hurry, that scabbard is going to slow you down.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I am thinking about rebuilding my BOB in April to try and make it a few pounds lighter. Looking for any idea on what I can switch out for something lighter or switch it out for something else.

1-Eberlestock operators back pack weight 8lbs - ditch the scabbard
1 - Wenzel 2 person hiker tent 5.5lbs - single bivy tent would weigh less
1 - northface sleeping bag 6.2lbs - look at a Wiggy's or Snugpak bag
200' para cord 1 lbs - seems a bit much, cut to 100'?
100 tablets water purification 1 lb - you have a pump water filter, ditch these & carry a spare cartridge
1 sog shovel 1.9lbs - for what?
1 metal cup .5 lbs - keep or go titanium
1 metal pot 1 lbs - keep or just get a bigger cup
6 glow sticks 1 lbs - ditch
1 energizer hard case flash light .80 lbs - do you have a weapon mounted light? quick release mount=dual use
1 petzl E89 head lamp 1 lbs - keep, use the same batts as previous light?
1 flit steel fire starter .5 lbs - ditch,or move to E&E kit
1 esbit ultralight folding stove & 24 bricks 2lbs - keep
1 spork .3 lbs - keep
1 p 38 can opener .1 lbs - keep
2 boxes water proof matches .5 lbs - keep or waterproof some strike anywhere
2 lighters .5lbs - keep one in bag, one on person
1 first aid kit 4lbs - keep
1 hand sanitizer .5 lbs - ditch, you have soap
1 CRKT pocket knife * 1 lbs - keep, should be on your person
1 TOPS Steel eagle 10" knife 2lbs - keep, should be on your person
1 gerber folding tool* 1lbs - keep
2 9 hour candles 1lbs - keep
1 compass .5 lbs - keep a good one
1 set binoculars 3lbs - keep
1 set of maps .5lbs - keep
1 cell phone 1lbs - keep, but I'd plan a backup
1 eton FR160b emergency radio/charger .7lb - ditch
1 n95 face mask .1 lbs - keep
12 spare AAA 2lbs - why so many? standardize your equipment for one batt type
6 spare AA 2lbs - see previous
2 pairs of wool socks 2lbs - keep
1 pair long pants 3lbs - keep
1 long shelve shirt 3lbs - keep
1 military style poncho 5lbs - a little heavy, find one lighter
1 underwear .25lbs - keep
1 fleece vest 5lbs - again, find a lighter one
1 shemagh .5lbs - meh, keep
1 rain jacket 2lbs - you have a poncho?
3 MRE's - strip down to essentials or go freeze dried
6 cliff bars - keep
1 3000 cal bar -what is this?
2 water bottles 1lb when empty - keep one or get platypus bladders
1 2L camel back .5lbs - keep
1 water purification pump 3lbs - covered above
1 travel tooth brush tooth past .5 lbs - keep
1 small bar of soap .5lbs - keep
1 Small roll of TP .25lbs - keep, baby wipes are good too
1 Signal mirror .25lbs - whom are you signaling?
50' duct tape .5lbs - not so much
1 small hand towl .25 lbs - keep
1 small sun screen bottle .5lbs - keep
1 small insect repellant bottle .5lbs - keep
1 lifeline 29-piece survival kit* 1lbs - move to first line, on person
1 bottle of assorted pain pills & vitamins 1lbs - ditch
1 Firearm 2lbs - I'm assuming this is a pistol? Where is the rifle?
50 rounds ammo 6lbs - see previous

In the winter I add

1 heavy jacket 5lbs - keep as separate module
1 set long underwear 3lbs - keep as separate module
1 ground pad 2lbs - keep as separate module

I left a few things off like ID and cash as I need it no matter what.

I think that covers everything in the bag...

Thanks in advance
My replies in red. If you have resupply points along the way, plan to use them. Concentrate less on carrying more. Lightweight gear is invaluable when speed and distance covered is the priority.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Just a thought - are you putting your heavy jacket in your bob? I only put a change of clothes in mine. If Im leaving, I will wear my coat, hat, gloves. No real need to have them in your bag. Id dump your binoculars and the stove. Make your food over a camp fire. Remember it is for a few days. Not long term camping. And when do 2 lighters weigh 1/2 a pound? I have a pack of 7 in my bag and they are maybe an ounce each.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yeah, ditch that tent and sleeping combo thing you got goin' on and that shovel, that's why you got hands! (I have a lightweight sleeping bag with GoreTex shell only for my winter set-up, in summer it's straight poncho and poncho liner!) :) Your weights are way off, too, so i don't think it's as heavy as you may think.

All this + 48 rds of .40 cal and 190 rds of 7.62x39 is 61 lbs. For those who think this is overkill just know that I have a 25 mile hump back to my house from south Dallas...you bet I want this armament! ::rambo::
I've humped more than this with the Marine Corps and I'm comfortable with it. Others may not be so just do what suits you.

IMG_20130105_111405_985.jpg IMG_20121230_240620_676.jpg IMG_20121230_240627_230.jpg IMG_20121230_240635_745.jpg

1 - 20 of 24 Posts