Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I was walking through Academy Outdoors mulling down the isles when I saw this and it peaked my interest. It was a Texsport portable Propane Heater that's rated at 1000-3000 btu's and uses the little disposable 1 lbs propane bottles. Not a big fan of these types of powered devices but it looked like it might be a more compact and cheaper form of emergency heating and it might come in awful handy on a camp out if it was to turn unexpectedly nasty on you. Some of the specs on it are...

1. Stainless Steel burner with brass fittings.
2. Individual Regulator for on off and positions for 1000, 2000 and 3000 btu settings.
3. Auto Shut off valve should the flame on it go out unexpectedly.
4. Large paddle foot base of plastic to make it more stable when the disposable cylinder if placed in it.
5. Aluminum Safety Grill to prevent you from getting too close and getting burned.
6. Steel Carry Handle.

Cost was 29.99.

Liquid Gas Body jewelry Sports equipment Metal

Setting it up was pretty easy and pretty idiot proof. For once I bought a product with pretty plain English instructions and even some pictures for those of us who work better with pictures...like me! Of course some assembly was required, yeah! Not. But it wasn't challenging. Followed the directions, checked for leaks of course and then...fired that baby up. Light us was so surprisingly easy I kind of felt cheated. I set it at the 1000 BTU setting and have it running, as I am kind of curious if it produces enough heat to knock the chill off my RV perchance it can be used as emergency heating (with a skylight cracked the same way I would if using a Kerosene Heater). Yes as added insurance I have two Carbon Monoxide detectors since the installed furnece, stove, hot water heater and fridge all use propane in my RV anyways (unfortunately they all require electricity to ignite them except for the stove). I even have a propane gas detector too just incase something decides to leak! I am also wondering how long one of these disposable cylinders will power this bad boy up on the low setting of 1000 BTU's since I have never used them and have no idea how long they last.

Its 30 degrees outside and we will drop to 24 degrees later tonight. Right now its a cozy 76 degrees inside my RV which is about 170 sq ft. I guess we will see if it can handle the pressure so to speak and keep it reasonable warm in here. If it doesn't work I guess I will relegate it to camping use only and go back to plan A which is a Kerosene Heater and just keep 10 gallons of Kerosene on hand.

I guess perhaps the next thing I might need to look for is do they make adapters to allow for the use of 20 lbs tanks? I am pretty sure they make adapters for refilling the "disposable" 1 lbs tanks and will have to look into that as a possibility.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Funny you should start this thread. I have a Mr. Buddy portable propane heater that takes the 1 lb. bottles. I started out early to split firewood with my splitter but it was so cold I could barely turn it over. I got out my portable heater and placed it by the crank case for a half hour and it started right up.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
question?? roughly on middle setting, how long will one of those gas bottles last?? a night, a few days?? a week???

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Depending on the setting 1000-3000 it will last from 4-8 hours on a cylinder.

My only feedback is

Really 76 degrees?!

I live in the 45th parallel and keep my home at 55 degrees in the day with a slight bump to 61 degrees in the morning when we shower and in the evening eating dinner.

My suggestion is to teach your body to acclimate and you will burn a LOT less energy. Long johns, blankets on every chair, maybe a warm cup of tea at night.

I heat my 2600 square foot home for $600 a year which includes hot water, gas stove and forced air furnace. I don't burn any wood as it doesn't make economic sense at this level of consumption.

BTW my home is 39 years old, I did replace the windows but it has 4" walls.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yeah, I am curious as to how long a bottle will last.
I ran it for four hours tonight on the 1000 BTU setting. Then shut it off with some still left in the bottle. How much Im not sure. Warmed the RV up to 79 degrees and its 26 degrees outside. Im kinda thinking it might pass the test, if there is a power outage here and the temps are below 32.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
That looks like a winner. I was walking through Home Depot last week and they had a "bigger" version (probably different brand) for a shop at $79.99. It was funny they had it on 100lb cylinder and it kind of made me smile - bet that' would last a while?

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did a check of the 1 lbs can and my "calibrated arm" estimates about an hour or slightly less remains in the tank. If I can find a "tree" and adapters to connect it to a larger 4.25 lbs tank this might actually be a fairly cost effective alternative heating method in a power outage. Granted the 20 lbs tanks are much cheaper but I am not really sure I want a 20 lbs tank inside the RV in the event there is a "malfunction"! The 4.25 lbs tank should give me about 16-18 hours of run time. I don't know a small Kerosene heater still might be the way to go and potentially a little safer to operate.

·
Super Moderator
9,641 Posts
My only feedback is

Really 76 degrees?!

I live in the 45th parallel and keep my home at 55 degrees in the day with a slight bump to 61 degrees in the morning when we shower and in the evening eating dinner.
This is Texas. It rarely gets cold here. In fact normally we have 2 seasons, summer and ............... almost summer. :lol:

·
Super Moderator
9,641 Posts
I will tell ya though, right now it's 25 outside. I mostly live in my garage. I smoke and I can't and don't smoke in the house. I can't find my laser thermometer right now but it's probably in the low 50's here inside. Here I have cable, my computer and ham radio so I'm set. I do have a very small space heater pointed at my feet.

Not being a morning person, I have the coffee set to go off 30 min before I get up. I get my coffee, stumble out to the garage, watch the news, surf here some and try to get my act together somewhat before I have to get ready to go to work.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
I smoke and I can't and don't smoke in the house. here some and try to get my act together somewhat before I have to get ready to go to work.
and people think I'm weird for not smoking inside

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
what gets me, going to visit a smoker that smokes in.their house.... I'm almost gagging

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Lemme take a wild guess at why yer lookin' fer alternative heat in a power outage:lol: We lost power about midnight when all that crap was in full swing.

I had plenty of firewood, but I immediately went into search mode since who really keeps a cord of wood in the Dallas 'burbs? I've pretty much settled on a Big Buddy with an adapter hose to run off of a 20 lb bottle. 400 sq feet of heating for 220 hours. baby. It also has a low O2 sensor for shut off.

That being said, one of those is about $150 before the adapter and hose, which is perfect for the living room but doesn't do much for anywhere else. I think I'll add an Academy stop and check these out.

Oh, and while I'm sure they avaialble locally somewhere, you can get the adapter to refill your 1 lb bottle from your larger bottles for around $12 shipped on eBay.

·
Banned
21,290 Posts
Yeah, I am curious as to how long a bottle will last.
My Mr Buddy heater set on high will run on a 1lb bottle for nearly 5 hours if I run it continuously. I usually crank it up just to cut the chill or use it in the garage or basement shop for a few minutes at a time. Get the adapter hose to run it off a larger tank, much cheaper.

Lunatic,
I like the Texsport. Good price and perfect for a tent or RV.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Question.... Do you not have to worry about Carbon Monoxide / Dioxide build up when you use one of these propane fueled catalytic heaters indoors?

·
Banned
21,290 Posts
Question.... Do you not have to worry about Carbon Monoxide / Dioxide build up when you use one of these propane fueled catalytic heaters indoors?
Some Propane heaters are rated for Indoor Use. Even though mine is rated for Indoor Use, I only use it inside my house or tent for short periods to cut the chill. I have used it for a few hours out in my screened porch but it is obviously vented well.
FYI this may help.
Bringing a Propane Heater Indoors? Here are Some Safety Tips | Propane.Pro

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
In a previous post I wrote that I have 2 Carbon Monoxide detectors and a propane detector and that like Kerosene I cracked a skylight for added good measure. I think I got that aspect pretty well covered. But its definitely something to consider no doubt about that. Additionally if I were to run it I would only run it while awake and up and about doing stuff. Even in Japan when Kerosene was the primary heating source I never ran it while I was asleep. Just too risky!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts