Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was supprised to find that Trumark still makes the wristrocket slingshot, in it's oririginal configuration no less! They use a black plastic handle sleeve instead of the clear blue ones that I remember form my youth. Yet it is the same slingshot. BTW...I still have mine from 1970...:shock:

I was looking at the prices and they're not that bad for something that will last you a very long time...

Trumark Slingshots - Bulk Slingshot Ammo - Catapults

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree they don't cut it, they sling it..you need a knife to cut it...hehe

I like sling shots always have...will they take the place of a .22RF an AR15/AK47 or an M1A nope! Are the fun? sure are. Are they useful? with in limits I'd have to say yes! Depends on what you do with it...in that sense they like any other tool.
Are they for everybody? nope!...some people find them to be frustratingly difficult to operate...while other don't.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Handy thing to have around. I started shooting a slingshot when I was recovering from a broken leg. I have been a serious Archer most of my life. When I broak my leg it was just to hard to go chase the arrows, so I got a slingshot so I could shoot and keep up my forum while recovering. learned a lot about them, and came up with better shooters. My flatband slingshot at a draw weight of 16 LBS will put a .45 lead ball through 1/2" plwood at 15 yards.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I think for taking rabbits and tree rodents they would not attract others as much as a gun shot. Nice and quiet.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I had an original wrist rocket. I was a fair shot but was dead on with my bb gun. They make tracers rounds to help you dial in your shots. I may pick it up again. The price is certainly right. Always looking to add something to the tool box.

punch

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have that EXACT model.
Well......perhaps after two or three of them. The one I still have is like from?????? 1976?

My dads friend used to hunt rabbits with them, using marbles.

If you think they are useless. You are mistaken.
How many people have been killed from being hit with a rock?
Why are the border patrol allowed to shoot you from throwing a rock?

Now use one of these with a glass marble or steel slug / ball bearing= serious injury, head shot is death.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think they are useful, Yet lethal with head shots...uhm...I don't know about that, it would probably cause a nasty headache. If you were hiding or being followed, a pebble shot into the brush or away from you that makes some noise when it hits, may divert a persuers attention long enough to hide or escape.

I like the idea that a wrist rocket is useful for bagging small game and keeping pests out of the garden. I think in a long term situation one would want to conserve their rifle ammunition. Since it's very possible one may not be able to re supply when they run out. A wrist rocket fits the nitch between throwning rocks and using a .22 rifle.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Since I've gotten back into playing with slingshots...I bought a trumark S9 for under eight bucks. Classic slingshot style made from 1/4" aircraft grade aluminum roundbar stock and capable of using any 1/4" surgical tubing for bands. It even came with some steel ammo...for what you get it's inexpensive quality and it's american made!

It's a pretty slick set up, it's small, light and flat enough to easily tuck away in a pack pocket. I have some loose 00 buck pellets that I'm going to try out, if they work the way I think they will, I'll tuck a handful of them away with the sling shot.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I had a squirrel get in my attic and start building a nest in the power attic ventilator fan housing. It was wintertime, so the fan was not kicking on to exhaust heat out of the attic.

I bought a wrist rocket and some Copperhead BBs to shoot at him in an effort to chase him off - didn't want to shoot a hole through the roof. It did not work - persistent little rodent.

I ended up putting in stronger hardware cloth and using metal hog rings to secure it to the housing to keep the little home invader out of the attic. But I had so much fun with that Wrist Rocket I held on to it to this day. I use it for shooting rocks just for fun once in awhile. I could take squirrels with it if I had to, but a .22 works so much more efficiently. Fun to shoot, though.

·
Registered
7,943 Posts
I still have my wristrocket from 1969 or 70 something. It's fun to launch a marble close to a feral animal and scare the cat poop out of it.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Sorry, but I don't think slingshots are going to cut it.
I'm like Wyatt Earp with my slingshot. It is the ONE THING I can always count on.

·
Registered
492 Posts
those fellers in the middle east are using slings and some of them are purdy good...
But you're right, they sure are fun.

punch

·
Registered
44 Posts
I make a few slingshots and keep this info on file.

Flat bands are the fastest/ most powerfully for there pull. Tubes last the longest. The small diameter tubes are called China tubes and are a fare compromise in power and longevity. Chained Rubber bands have also been used with fair success and are very thrifty.

Rubber delivers power slightly different than a bow. It is more about length of pull than pounds of draw. Thin rubber retracts faster than fat rubber. Also because the rubber has less mass than the projectile, it takes time/distance to build up to speed. Of course stretching the rubber to its max every time shortens its life.
You can tune the slingshot to get better power by shortening them. Tera-band (the flat bands) has a stretch factor of about 5 to 1. To make then last longer I use a 3.9 to 1 stretch factor. I draw 28" so I shorten my bands to 7.25 fork to pouch. This make for a fast shooting band that last about 1000 Shots. Most of the time when the rubber starts to fail it is near the pouch, right at the tie off. You can remove the bands and retie them adjust them on the slingshot and get another few hundred shots. Keep the bands out of the sun light when your not using them. Storing them in the frig will make them keep for a long time.

Hope this is helpful.
Semper Fidelus.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Would not be bad to have to maybe bag a squirrel with.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nice one...I do like the looks of it. I'm off into the "what if" useful things could I do with a slingshot in a survival setting. Besides using it as a sling shot...I could use the surgical tubing for getting water from rock crevices. I could use the old or broken bands for a snare...a touniquet, lashing for gear. Bands are relatively inexpensive, so I think I'll squirrel a few away.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I carry a slingshot in my bob as a simple, near silent, small game taker. Ammo is everwhere, they dont create a report, and they never jam.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts