Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if this is considered a prepper tool, but I did see a youtube regarding a treadle sewing machine. I figured if I could find one basically intact, I would buy it, especially if I could get one under $250. A new one, like the Amish use, runs roughly $1500. I sew and quilt, so, it would be kind of nice to keep doing that if we ever lost power, not to mention, well, honestly, I just liked the idea of having a treadle machine. Many quilters prefer using the type of treadle machine that has a 'walking needle' because then they don't have to remove or cover their feed dogs. The needle on the machine just advances the material, instead of grabbing it underneath with the teeth of the feed dogs.

Anyway, low and behold, there was a treadle machine, with cabinet, even the bobbins, all of them, all of the feet, absolutely everything was in the drawers of the oak cabinet! It appears to work, from what I can see, but it needs a new belt, for sure, and the bobbin winder needs a new wheel. The old one was leather and is crumbling. I asked the guy what he wanted, expecting I would have to do a lot of whining and convincing of hubby, but, the guy was asking $40. I bought it, on the spot, it's in its new home now, and I am doting on it. It's a Davis Advance, made sometime between 1880-1924, I suspect around 1900 because of the 'walking needle'. The company went out of business in 1924. It was originally from Watertown NY, and then moved to Dayton OH. I hope I can get it restored for not too much. Even some of the floral painting is still on it. :)

I'm not sure if it will ever be a prepper tool, but, I hope I can quilt with it as soon as I get it fixed. It's my understanding that quilters really like them, so, it may exactly perfect for me.

I am hanging out more at flea markets looking for non-electric household goods, and there are some good finds. :)

What kinds of things are people finding at flea markets that are good for prepping? Has any one else bought a treadle sewing machine? What other things do you think are worth looking for if you consider living a world without power?

·
Registered
72 Posts
My mum inherited an old 'Singer' treadle sewing machine some years ago and even though it was over a hundred years old it still worked perfectly and it was a lot quiteter than the modern electric ones.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
I can take any electric machine and convert it to a treadle machine. It won't have the computerized stitches but it should do the basic in-line and zigzag stitches.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I will take this to a sewing machine repair place, and see if I can get it up and running for a reasonable fee. It intrigues me. I'm not sure how all the insides work, so I am afraid of damaging something. I would love to have it cleaned, repaired and put into actual use. :) My electric machine is terribly noisy. Dependable, but awfully noisy. :/

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I look for the cast-iron pans, large coffee pots, I have a bucket carrier - wodden piece that fits on your shoulders, to haul two buckets with. It's cool, and practical. Wool blankets, cloth for making pants, shirts, etc. I found an old clothes dryer at a flea market. It was made for small spaces. It's hard to describe: it sits on a metal flat plate that is supposed to be on a wooden board, for support. There is a tall middle post with a round top that wooden spindle hang from. When it's at rest, the spindles hand down, but if you pull the top of the spindles, they move outward and you then hang clothes off of them. Its for indoor use. I guess you could put it in front of a wood stove or fireplace, to dry clothing. I got it for my coton sweaters, as I don't put them in a clothes dryer. I'll see if I can take a picture of it and post it. So hard to describe. It was a good find.

I also buy buttons, I got a 12g shotgun for a good deal. Ice fising poles, candles, lanterns. I look for anything that doesn't use electricity, that could be used in a grid down situation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts