Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for recommendations for reliable trail cams that won't break the bank. I want to get them for my husband for Christmas.

·
8,976 Posts
I have a camera from Cuddleback, purchased from Cabellas. It was an inexpensive camera but does everything
I wanted, so I give it pretty high marks. The owner's manual leaves a little to be desired but trial and error
helped. Mine take 8 AA batteries (normal, I guess). I use mine mainly in front of my house to watch all the
critters that come to drink at my bird bath and a water container on the ground. Nice to know some javelina
frequent the area just in case I need to suppliment my food stores.

·
Super Moderator
2,843 Posts
I have a camera from Cuddleback, purchased from Cabellas. It was an inexpensive camera but does everything
I wanted, so I give it pretty high marks. The owner's manual leaves a little to be desired but trial and error
helped. Mine take 8 AA batteries (normal, I guess). I use mine mainly in front of my house to watch all the
critters that come to drink at my bird bath and a water container on the ground. Nice to know some javelina
frequent the area just in case I need to suppliment my food stores.
I'll second that. I have one also and it works well.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm looking for recommendations for reliable trail cams that won't break the bank. I want to get them for my husband for Christmas.
On the reccomendation of my Son, I purchased a "Spypoint."
It runs off of an app on my phone. No more having to go to the trailcam location to retrieve the sd card to see what has happened in front of the camera.
It sends the pictures to my phone in real time for viewing.
My Son has 3 of them, a couple of his buddy's have them also. We are on one plan and can view each others camera's.
I feel it gives you a general feeling for the days activity from several different locations.

I like it. I have only had it for 3 weeks.

I got mine at Dunhams for $169.00. It is one of the more expensive models, rechargeable ac battery, they also charge with the attached solar panel, etc.
They do offer less expensive models. I really like the app plan that I can view several cameras at any given time. I am currently viewing 8 camera's with our plan.
I still have the ones that require the sd card retrieval for viewing. I am heading out in a bit to get them.

Just giving you some ideas.... Hope it's helpful.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
@paraquack @Piratesailor Do either of you gentlemen have a camera with wifi?
Mine do not. But the people that hunt my land do use them and think they are the greatest tool to have. It is amazing how good the night visions works on the trail cams now.

·
Administrator
14,696 Posts
For Christmas 5 years ago, my wife bought me a very basic model, since we've never had money to burn.
It is a Bushnell SC271. Runs off 4 AA batteries, and has a sd card that I remove, put into the input slot on my laptop to view.

It has excellent resolution, I have it set to trigger in a three round burst - smaller animals moving in the dead of night are easier to see this way.
The bad thing is, the photoelectronic trigger is so sensitive that a breezy day will often move vegetation enough to trigger it.

www.bushnell.com/trail-cameras-2/
I move it around the property just for grins-n-giggles and "get" plenty of deer, possums, fox, armadillos, etc.
What I DON'T want to see are bobcats and *****. Both have killed chickens.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On the reccomendation of my Son, I purchased a "Spypoint."
It runs off of an app on my phone. No more having to go to the trailcam location to retrieve the sd card to see what has happened in front of the camera.
It sends the pictures to my phone in real time for viewing.
My Son has 3 of them, a couple of his buddy's have them also. We are on one plan and can view each others camera's.
I feel it gives you a general feeling for the days activity from several different locations.

I like it. I have only had it for 3 weeks.

I got mine at Dunhams for $169.00. It is one of the more expensive models, rechargeable ac battery, they also charge with the attached solar panel, etc.
They do offer less expensive models. I really like the app plan that I can view several cameras at any given time. I am currently viewing 8 camera's with our plan.
I still have the ones that require the sd card retrieval for viewing. I am heading out in a bit to get them.

Just giving you some ideas.... Hope it's helpful.
Yes, thank you, it is helpful.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For Christmas 5 years ago, my wife bought me a very basic model, since we've never had money to burn.
It is a Bushnell SC271. Runs off 4 AA batteries, and has a sd card that I remove, put into the input slot on my laptop to view.

It has excellent resolution, I have it set to trigger in a three round burst - smaller animals moving in the dead of night are easier to see this way.
The bad thing is, the photoelectronic trigger is so sensitive that a breezy day will often move vegetation enough to trigger it.

www.bushnell.com/trail-cameras-2/
I move it around the property just for grins-n-giggles and "get" plenty of deer, possums, fox, armadillos, etc.
What I DON'T want to see are bobcats and *****. Both have killed chickens.
How long do those batteries last?

·
Super Moderator
2,843 Posts
@paraquack @Piratesailor Do either of you gentlemen have a camera with wifi?
I have cameras around the property, mainly the house, one pasture, chicken coop, main gate and garage. They are all WiFi but not considered game cameras. They have good night capability.

Ps they run On solar or battery or plugged into an outlet. I have a combination of the three.

I access them from an app on my phone or iPad.

They are made by Reolink

·
Administrator
14,696 Posts
How long do those batteries last?
i use the high cost lithium camera batteries.
They last months. I would say mulitple hundreds of exposures.

Reactions: paulag1955

·
Registered
3,090 Posts

Attachments

Reactions: paulag1955
1 - 13 of 13 Posts