Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
with the item list (barter) got me thinking of skills the "sheeple" will be willing to "trade their first born for" during/post shtf

might make a good discussion topic (keep in mind, sheeple trade not prepper trade)

eg sharpening knives, a basic skill to us, but not to many

Reactions: BamaBoy101

·
Registered
574 Posts
So This would be from prepper to sheeple. Medical, Metal working(still learning), Home steading (also learning), and security concepts. there is a whole slew of other less developed skills such as some basic eletrcial and moderate mechanical but it would be pointless to list all these. I think id be more interested in a list of skills preppers would like to "adopt for" Because I plan on buggin out and staying mobile until the dust has settled.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So This would be from prepper to sheeple. .
exactly, skills in "high demand" that are quick to "access" if rumor comes up like the guy down the road has some batteries that need charging and willing to trade ammo for (for example)

medical will have to make number 1 on the list :)

·
Registered
560 Posts
Medical, hide tanning, making primitive weapons, gunsmithing, primitive survival, I believe just about any of these skills that are able to arm, help feed and care for people will be valuable. Nice topic

Thought I would elaborate a little more, any of the above skills are worthy of trade in my view. You can trade teaching a skill for goods, a place to stay or whatever IMO.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I stock up on cheap vodka and other alcohol. Usually for a couple dollars for 8-10oz. I figure people will trade their left arm for this. I also stock up on the fun size hershey bars. $1 for 6 of them. Quick energy - cheap and def something that people will want. I also raise rabbits. Plenty of protein and hides for trade.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I stock up on cheap vodka and other alcohol. Usually for a couple dollars for 8-10oz. I figure people will trade their left arm for this. I also stock up on the fun size hershey bars. $1 for 6 of them. Quick energy - cheap and def something that people will want. I also raise rabbits. Plenty of protein and hides for trade.
Just so you know I always need more hides, I buy from many suppliers....

·
Registered
574 Posts
I keep wondering about the primitive stuff I enjoy being self sufficient but to a certain extent I don't think the primitive will ever happen again. I would like to understand your thoughts on the matter.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I keep wondering about the primitive stuff I enjoy being self sufficient but to a certain extent I don't think the primitive will ever happen again. I would like to understand your thoughts on the matter.
that would make for a good separate topic...

but a mad max or such type of event such skills within a few years would be highly sort after and the little groups that would gather (the postman lol) would trade highly for replacement parts, training, so on and so forth...

tbh depending on the shtf, or eotwawko, or any kind of apocalypse, all skills will have a use, and the more valuable the skill, the better chance of living comfortably, my opinion anyway (hopefully it never happens)

·
Registered
224 Posts

but a mad max or such type of event such skills within a few years would be highly sort after and the little groups that would gather (the postman lol) would trade highly for replacement parts, training, so on and so forth...

tbh depending on the shtf, or eotwawko, or any kind of apocalypse, all skills will have a use, and the more valuable the skill, the better chance of living comfortably, my opinion anyway (hopefully it never happens)
I think it happens in a new form, such as "urban foraging" for example.

That being said, I stand ready to barter my childcare/homeschool skills for nonperishable food items mailed to me. (Don't send me your kids, just your questions about how to deal with them! *LOL* Like concerning the real issues of bunker-boredom and also how to get small ones in line with survival hiking, necessary silence, etc.)

·
Registered
224 Posts

I think it happens in a new form, such as "urban foraging" for example.

That being said, I stand ready to barter my childcare/homeschool skills for nonperishable food items mailed to me. (Don't send me your kids, just your questions about how to deal with them! *LOL* Like concerning the real issues of bunker-boredom and also how to get small ones in line with survival hiking, necessary silence, etc.)

·
Registered
686 Posts
According to my wife, the most important skill I need to learn is Social skills. She constantly tells me that I am anti-social. I am not anti-social, otherwise I would not be here, now would I?

Really though. I've got a wide range of skills that while useful, may not be applicable depending on exactly what happens. My guess is that it's going to be alot like the pioneer wagon train days. You had people of many different skills, some with alot of skill learned along the way, and some that couldn't light a fire with a gallon of kerosene (did they have that back then? coal oil mebbe?) and a bic lighter. But they banded together for mutual protection and aid, and opened up a whole new country. I know...they screwed the indians...well, the politicians did anyway.

The really sucessful individuals or groups are going to be the ones who not only have the knowledge and skills, but the ability to come up with solutions to adapt that to the situation at hand. It doesn't help if you are an electronics genius if a solar flare fries all the electronics tomorrow. But if you can take that knowledge and build a working generator from a gas motor and an old non-electronic alternator, you become a genius again. The key is adaption of knowledge and if you don't have that knowledge or access to it, then it makes sense to protect that knowledge.

There's my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Interesting question, because sheeple don't realize what they need or that such service/skills even exist. For example, charging AA batteries would not be much sought after because sheeple typically don't have rechargeable batteries. But, they may really want their phones and tablets recharged. Or you could sell them a few rechargeable batteries and the periodic recharge service too.

Any kind of repair service would likely do well. Our society is so used to disposing broken items and buying it new. Especially if you can make repairs with existing parts and materials. Tool rental and instruction might be another as most sheeple have few hand or power tools and often cheap ones if they do.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I think being able to hold a 12 inch group at 500 yards is worth something?

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
You are way overthinking it, the basic needs are water, food shelter

So anyone that can provide drinking water will rule up to 90 days SHTF

Food will be next but the survivability of food vs water is about 30x (without water you will die in 3 days, without food about 30 days)

·
Registered
686 Posts
Nice shooting Nurseholly. Normally my wifes groups are a little lower, by about a foot, foot and a half. lol

From a medical standpoint, that isn't a bad thing either.

Back to the topic, Blacksmithing is gonna be a big skill in demand too. And I've known a couple of 'smiths that could turn out pretty good gun parts too.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The group in the red is at 20 yards with my Sig 9mm and the few in the upper right shoulder is at 50 with a 44 mag. Not too shabby for a novice. :)
note to self... never ever piss off nurseholly.... or be in a world of pain...

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Interesting question, because sheeple don't realize what they need or that such service/skills even exist. For example, charging AA batteries would not be much sought after because sheeple typically don't have rechargeable batteries. But, they may really want their phones and tablets recharged. Or you could sell them a few rechargeable batteries and the periodic recharge service too.

Any kind of repair service would likely do well. Our society is so used to disposing broken items and buying it new. Especially if you can make repairs with existing parts and materials. Tool rental and instruction might be another as most sheeple have few hand or power tools and often cheap ones if they do.
Wii controllers, (most people get rechargeables for) Xbox 360 controllers and ps3 controllers have a battery pack something to keep in mind, would be plenty to power a light source....

didn't think of the pda/mobile phone's... but even without a network you can still watch saved vids, record what's going on and even play games...

water will make anyone a king... it was just a thought to throw around, and when shtf, you're looking to negotiate... you maybe able to trade a skill for something you need

1 - 20 of 22 Posts