Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should there become a law passed that makes every able bodies male serve a minimal of two years in the service after highschool and every female willing to go through...

It was half and half for a long time but then our community thought it would be a good idea and that was only after a local highschool class piped in and said they would agree with it... even those that didn't have any intent to join stood up for the idea... just thought I would ask what you thought.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Having served over seas twice I can openly say that no matter what, wars will have losses.. There is no fair or rules in war. Bad things happen to our boys and god be with them all... The problem is we are not fighting to win. The point wasn't necessarily made to focus on this war but the overall look at the future of the united states if that was made law.

·
Super Moderator
9,178 Posts
Hard to argue with your statements, BA. As far as serving, it works for Israel.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think I remember Isreal doing this in the 90's.I saw alot of uniformed college age males and females walking around the Scud mall in Haifa; bookbag on one shoulder,weapon on the other.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I think it's a good idea. To many young foks out there who can't take care of themselves because they have no idea how to, or even believe they can.

·
Banned
148 Posts
I would not like the ideal as long as our political leaders keep using our military in other countries as peace keepers/regime changers. Would not have problem putting my life on the line to protect this country but everyone else can kiss my a$$

·
Registered
672 Posts
I do think it's a good idea, so long as they keep or even improve the current standards for fitness and for lack of a better term IQ. A strong and smart military has a lot of advantages over a military that just sends in cannon fodder. There are advantages to cannon fodder too, but the way this country is going PC-wise that'll never happen.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hmm.

Would it have some benefits...yes.
Do I think enslaving young people for 2 years when they reach a certain age is a good idea? Hell no.
A lot of people talk about freedom and then say, "Yeah, that sounds like a good idea." Think before you speak!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Having served two over-sea's tours I love to see young men go into the military by choice. It shows their moral compass is pointing in the right place.
Now that being said....I wouldn't like to think the "balloon head" fighting next to me was forced against his will. It would not inspire "espirit de corps" for one thing. There is a certain pride in doing ones duty out of patriotism.
The other disagreement I would have is yet another law. Our political thermostat has been set at passing more and more laws. Hence, large government which is out of control already. That size of a military takes funding and guess who's going to pay for that? Yup, you guessed it. Joe- Taxpayer.
So, I guess I would say I think not. IMVHO

·
Registered
320 Posts
I dont know.. I come from a heavily influenced military family and they all have seemed to be scarred and war-torn after several deployments. my grandpa even said he didnt want anyone joining because of what happened to him in vietnam (he was in for over 20 years)

I would rather have volunteers than people who are forced. I am afraid that if they didnt want to do it, then they will be more prone to acting out or not doing their jobs, causing more loss for us

Reactions: Ratfink

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I wouldnt want my sons fighting under the obama administration. Remember Benghazi? i feel bad for the troops.. they are seen as disposable.
I believe every citizen should serve our country and no one should be forced to serve our country.

I told both of my boys/men before they enlisted. "If you cannot serve regardless of who is elected President, do not sign up.

I served when judges would give criminals a choice: "jail or volunteer for the draft. I do not want my boys/men serving with the scum I was forced to by such judges.

There is a lot to be said about the character of those that can and do not serve. I find that good information when meeting strangers on which I might need to depend or trust.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I do not believe us older people should have a right to tell the younger generation that they must do our bidding. It didn't work in Vietnam, the draft became a tool for the politicians. If you had the money you could send your children to collage and get them out of it (hell with the upper class children safely in collage they didn't even fight the war to win). The justice system used it as punishment and instead of going to jail you could join the army. There is no comparison of an Army made up of people who want to be soldier as to an Army of people forced to be soldiers. Even our own military doesn't want a draft. This BS is usually raised when there are a lack of jobs which even piss me off more to think the same ones that propose this want to send our kids to war or forced into social activities and then open the boarders for other countries children. So while our children or overseas or forced to do Obama's bidding the illegals will be getting free college and the open jobs.
NOT NO BUT HELL NO.

The truth is that if people have love for their country they will join when needed. When a government looses the respect of it's citizens then they need to be forced to join in bad time.

·
Registered
44 Posts
^^^^ bump

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
I think a mandatory service of some kind would be a good idea - as long as:
1. it included military type boot camp
2. gave choices to serve in either military or civilian programs
3. there was no "getting out of it" because your daddy is....
4. it taught the constitution and what it is supposed to do
5. taught the difference between a republic and a democracy
6. It was state or locally run - without the federal government involved

Reactions: MrsInor

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
How about making all the freeloaders on welfare serve.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I think a mandatory service of some kind would be a good idea - as long as:
1. it included military type boot camp
2. gave choices to serve in either military or civilian programs
3. there was no "getting out of it" because your daddy is....
4. it taught the constitution and what it is supposed to do
5. taught the difference between a republic and a democracy
6. It was state or locally run - without the federal government involved
I don't care how good the program sounds you need to look at all the possibilities of what can (will) happen once you have all these people under government control especially under this present regime.
I do not believe this ideal that the military will straighten them out, or they will learn this or that. No one learns this or that unless they want to learn this or that. I am the type that I don't like to tell someone what to do but hate even more someone trying to tell me what to do. No if I was forced in the service I would probably be the worst soldier in the world, but if I joined on my own I would do my best.

You want people to join the army or other social projects then you offer them the incentive to join. You don't have millions of people on the government tit, then try to save money by forcing people into forced labor which is what it actually is. With good programs the Military has no problem getting the recruits they need.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts