Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all

For those that have a retreat or plan to just "bug in" I have a really neat opsec tool that you may want to look into.

Custom Topographic Maps and Aerial Maps for the USA & Canada

I purchased a 3'x4' color aerial photograph from that site with my property centered in the middle (about $80 as I recall), mounted it on a piece of plywood and overlaid it with plexiglass. It is now hung on the wall in my man cave and I think will be a great asset when organizing my neighborhood for security.

Add a set of dry erase markers and it will be easy to set up recon routes, sectors of fire, etc. Maps just make it easier to convey what you are saying so people understand. They also have Topos that you can order but I already have some of those from the sporting goods store.

While I'm on the subject for those bugging out in a specific area you cannot go wrong with a Gazetteer Atlas:

Atlas & Gazetteers, by State - DeLorme

The scale is small but you get a whole state topo in a single book, I own one for my state and the surrounding states except UTAH as I will never go there.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I would try google earth because many of satellite photos are from planes and not satellites and probably the same as you bought. In fact it is not a bad ideal to use google earth to do a virtual look around your dwelling. Also if you have a smart phone you can save the screen shots of Topo and satellite views then e-mail them to your computer.

Also the DeLorme maps of your state is good to have I used the one of Kentucky many times when going off road they also make 3d mapping of the United States for your computer.

But the best is get a hand held Garmin GPS and make your own maps using everything from stream beds to animal paths that aren't on any map.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
You can find topo maps for nearly anywhere in the states on the unternet and they can be free to download from the USGS site.

Reactions: shotlady

·
Registered
855 Posts
Hey all

For those that have a retreat or plan to just "bug in" I have a really neat opsec tool that you may want to look into.

Custom Topographic Maps and Aerial Maps for the USA & Canada

I purchased a 3'x4' color aerial photograph from that site with my property centered in the middle (about $80 as I recall), mounted it on a piece of plywood and overlaid it with plexiglass. It is now hung on the wall in my man cave and I think will be a great asset when organizing my neighborhood for security.

Add a set of dry erase markers and it will be easy to set up recon routes, sectors of fire, etc. Maps just make it easier to convey what you are saying so people understand. They also have Topos that you can order but I already have some of those from the sporting goods store.

While I'm on the subject for those bugging out in a specific area you cannot go wrong with a Gazetteer Atlas:

Atlas & Gazetteers, by State - DeLorme

The scale is small but you get a whole state topo in a single book, I own one for my state and the surrounding states except UTAH as I will never go there.
That's a great idea with the plexiglass and dry erase markers. Probably makes a nice decoration for the wall until needed too.

-Infidel

·
Registered
302 Posts
Thats a neat idea....I know I use my GPS on my phone to mark everything from brush piles we fish to deer stands in the woods, to hidden areas we walk looking for arrowheads...lol

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Grease Pencils would work well marking on the plexiglass too! We used to use them in the military on "Smart Boards" all the time to track weapon movements and other assets. Unlike dry erase markers, grease pencils dont dry out and would likely be more cost efficient and easier to keep long term.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've never been too keen with technology such as GPS and the like. I think this would be a great idea for the man cave, simply because I can stick to good ol' pen and paper. er... Glass and marker, as it were. Great idea!! :grin:

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would try google earth because many of satellite photos are from planes and not satellites and probably the same as you bought. In fact it is not a bad ideal to use google earth to do a virtual look around your dwelling. Also if you have a smart phone you can save the screen shots of Topo and satellite views then e-mail them to your computer.

Also the DeLorme maps of your state is good to have I used the one of Kentucky many times when going off road they also make 3d mapping of the United States for your computer.

But the best is get a hand held Garmin GPS and make your own maps using everything from stream beds to animal paths that aren't on any map.
Google earth is not realtime data or even last months data, the current picture of my location shows cut hay and it looks like 2 years ago but it is hard to tell.

I am assuming the internet and GPS's will not be available SHTF, that is the reason for the hard copy.

I like the idea about grease pens, I used to use them in the army too and they work great.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts