Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
I carry one of three depending on dress and time of year. Taurus PT111 Pro (IWB Crossbreed Supertuck), Taurus PT 92 (Galco shoulder holster), and mostly my Armscor/RIA 1911 CS (Crossbreed Supertuck).

·
Registered
277 Posts
It all depends on the shooter and his/her hands. If your left handed reverse this. Pick an object just out side of your periferal vision to your right, Point your right index finger at it. You probably got your target. now when your at the gun store do the same thing with the gun. 8 out of 10 will not be pointing where you think they are and are usually well below where you think. Shooting should be second nature and knowing where it is pointing is one less thing to worry about. don't go by what other people say but what feels right to you. Lastly some people are better aim with a revolver then an automatic or vise versa, so go to a range where you can rent both and find out.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Excellent advice vandelescrow! I have to work to shoot an auto - any auto because I have always used the revolver. My brother is the same way. instinctive fire is something that involves muscle memory so once learned it is hard to replace that with a different gun.
Many years ago I was shooting metalic silhoette (hunter's pistol) with my revolver and I got a Colt Combat Commander short 45. I practiced with it shooting left handed because I didn't want to mess up the grip I developed for competition. I got pretty good with that Colt but I got tired of chasing the brass to reload it and traded it for a Redding turret press and about $600 more of reloading equipment. (the gun cost me $200 new in the box with less than 20 rounds fired)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I carry a S&W M&P9 Shield IWB. Its a good, accurate and easy to conceal pistol. If I wear pants that are tighter in the waist I will carry my LC9 IWB. Its just a litttle smaller but not as accurate as the Smith IMO. It really doesn't matter what you carry as long a you carry something all of your wakeing hours.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Because I am in the leather business, . . . it pays for me to know WHAT people carry besides opinion. I'm sure the OP was diligent in his offerings, . . . but his offerings do not stack up to what people actually carry.

A survey of 200 people done in the last few months showed the following (the numbers don't equal 200 because many people carry multiple weapons or have multiple choices, which gave a vote for each):

1911's of all flavors = 70

Snub nose .38 / .357 either 5 or 6 shot = 31

Glocks of all flavors = 28

Keltecs = 15

Beretta 92 = 10

Sigs = 15

HK = 12

Surprizingly there was one Ruger Vaquero .45 and 2 Baby Eagles and 16 other makes/models were mentioned, some multiple times.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
The article is for a newbie looking for a carry gun with common, proven, affordable options in the authors opinion. There sure is a lot of experts that know better than the author, maybe they should get a gig writing reviews.

·
Registered
855 Posts
The article is for a newbie looking for a carry gun with common, proven, affordable options in the authors opinion. There sure is a lot of experts that know better than the author, maybe they should get a gig writing reviews.
I didn't get the impression that anyone thought their choice was a better choice than the author's, from what I read everyone was offering their own choices for concealed carry. I didn't see anyone argue with any of the choices the author made just people offering their own opinions. That's what I did because I figured if anyone here was reading that article trying to determine what might be the best choice for a CCW for themselves it sure would be nice to have some other opinions too. Any top ten list is going to draw comments from people who have other opinions, just a fact of life. I'm sure the author wouldn't be sensitive about other people offering their opinions.

-Infidel

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Since nobody said

Glock 36 .45 Caliber

GLOCK

5+1 weights 1lb 12 oz loaded and an extra clip is 6 oz.

Total 1" wide and 6.75 inches long.

Benefits of a Glock is only 1 safety, once you put your finger on the trigger it is off.

Not sure why it is so rare, except for the magazine capacity, with only 6 shots you gotta know when to pull the trigger.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
I use a Springfield XD45 as my concealed carry weapon. - I like it well enough except the slide release lever. Normally, that would not be an issue because I learned never to use the slide release lever when reloading. But, it is required to use it for disassembly and cleaning. (I will buy an after market one once the current shortages go away and prices come down.)

When I carry a weapon in the arm rest of my truck, it is a Beretta 92. There is nothing I do not like about it. I have put well over 10,000 rounds through it and it only jammed once and that was my fault.

For home defense, I have a Colt King Cobra in .357 with a 6" barrel. I figure by the time I fire off 6 shots with it, Mrs Inor will have a rifle squarely on target and the poor fool will end up looking like a colander.

Just an opinion.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Since nobody said

Glock 36 .45 Caliber

GLOCK

5+1 weights 1lb 12 oz loaded and an extra clip is 6 oz.

Total 1" wide and 6.75 inches long.

Benefits of a Glock is only 1 safety, once you put your finger on the trigger it is off.

Not sure why it is so rare, except for the magazine capacity, with only 6 shots you gotta know when to pull the trigger.
Should be 6+1, going to need that extra round!

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
I have to wonder where they get the numbers from. If you look at sales some of them are not even in the running.
And the most widely sold are not on the list. Not buying the list at all

·
Registered
496 Posts
I have to wonder where they get the numbers from. If you look at sales some of them are not even in the running.
And the most widely sold are not on the list. Not buying the list at all
Agreed. My primary carry is a Bersa 9UC Pro and I load a combo of Federal Premium +P 147 gr JHP alternating with 124 FMJs. One in the tube and first two in the mag are the 147s, then I alternate a 124 FMJ every other round. Gives me stop and penetration. My Sunday go to Meeting, padding around the house or when I feel the occasion needs less printing is the Bersa BT-380 with the DLX 9 round mags. Corbon DPX or Speer Gold Dot JHP in the tube and first in the mag then alternating with a FMJ. At night, I have my second BT-380 under the pillow and when we have the camper on the road, I also keep the 1911 Colt close at hand.

Reactions: Denton

·
Registered
24,529 Posts
Pfft. Favorites lists are always entertaining to read, and that is about all.

I conceal carry the MilPro PT 145 Taurus as much as I can. If it is too hot for it to be carried without too much printing, I carry the Taurus .38 Ultralite or the Taurus 738 .380, either in the pocket, with the PT 145, 24/7 or the 1911AR left in the truck.

Just got a Taurus 709 Slim 9mm, today. It is a fine feeling weapon, and am going to get an IWB leather holster made for it next week.

With the exception of the 709, I know the above mentioned weapons are every bit as reliable as they are affordable. I won't bet the farm on the 709, yet, but I'll be hitting the range with it, tomorrow.

Oh, and as far as the PT1911AR I have in the truck and its accuracy, all I need is your post office box number and you are heading for room temp. :-D

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Examples of why the list is flawed is Ruger you can pick one line and Ruger sells more of that weapon than all Glocks combined by a huge percentage.
He who pays for the ads writes the story
There are so many great CC weapons it would take years to go over the pros and cons of each and in the end we would all still be carrying a lot of different ones.
One person must have a 45 the next don't care. One wants 7 rounds the next 17. Wife would not give up her revolver
I fired a XD subcompact .45 yesterday That was outstanding it fit my hand well carried well and at the hand gun defense ranges we were shooting at I could not miss. I added that weapon to my list of wants.
Funny part the owner shot my Ruger SR9C and did want to return it. Another there I knew carried a Sig he dumped it and replace it with a Springfield XD said he would never own another Sig.Never ending search for the prefect CC

·
Registered
496 Posts
I was laughing at myself after reading and posting to this thread last night as I realized what was truly the number the number one carry of the top ten. We were, for the most part, saying the same thing, just using different words. This survey was not the first time we have been lied to. That "perfect one is the one that you trust, and are the most comfortable with while carrying and/or firing. I was remembering being at the range when a good friend, a retired Marine and major Glock fan ask to fire my 9UC. He had noticed the change in sound between the 124s and the 147s I was firing from the same mag. I handed him my 9 to fire and after one mag, he was sold. We went to the BX the next day and he bought one. When I started carrying, the Bersa, in spite of some rave reviews, was considered to be the red headed illegitimate stepchild of the semi auto clan. Even the store from whom I purchased my first Bersa BT-380 new, referred to it as a cheap Saturday night special when I sought to upgrade to a 9mm. Needless to say, I kept the gun and bought my 9UC from another store.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I think it's like most anything else, a matter of personal preference. I like a small auto, with an external hammer, I carry with a round in the chamber, with the safety on, the trigger is disabled, and hammer is blocked, with safety off, pistol has double acting trigger (pull trigger, it goes boom) I want a pistol ready to go if needed, but I don't want it to go off by accident. I'm not saying there isn't better weapons out there, just the one I prefer.

21 - 40 of 68 Posts