Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, we had a SEVERE wind storm rip through my part of the country causing extensive damage, including a loss of electricity for 3 days. I have compiled my top 5 regrets having been thrust into an unexpected "Prepper Practice." Hopefully, you all can chime in with your thoughts and perhaps this might help someone.

1. I wish I had taken the time to elevate my water tank (2000 gallons) 20 feet in the air. That way I would have at least 10 lbs. of pressure. With a pregnant wife and 3 small children bucketing water from the river to flush the toilets got old quickly.

2. I wish I had more of the small propane bottles on hand. They were great for lights and a portable stove. I didn't run out, but more is better. (Just like ammo)

3. I wish I had finished making my wood fired outdoor bathtub. After working outside clearing trees and doing misc. manual labor for 3 days, I would have loved to build a fire under the tub and jumped in.

4. I wish I had a better emergency radio. I did have a small AM/FM/SW from countycomm, but a bigger one with better reception would have been nice.

5. I wish I had more clean 5 gallon buckets and more 5 gallon stock pots to boil water in.

All in all we fared very well and enjoyed our "Light's Out" experience. Everything took longer and was harder to do, but a positive mental attitude by carried right through to my kids and wife. I will fix the wish list by the end of next year. P.S. Headlamps, safety glasses, and leather gloves are necessities when working outside in extreme conditions.

·
Senior Member R.I.P.
2,886 Posts
A 12VDC deep cycle battery shurlo pump will work better then elevating that 2,000 gallon tank & cheaper. Can recharge the battery with jumper cables from your vehicle. 2,000 gallons of water you are looking at supporting 16,000lbs plus of weight.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
2# small propane bottles,,, I have a 100 lb propane tank (cheap to buy if used) and an adapter to refill the small tanks.
It's very very low cost way to refill them. About $8.00 for the adapter -- check eBay

·
Super Moderator
9,646 Posts
I would have never thought of that.

What type of adapter do you need and does it have a shut off for the small tank?

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
A 12VDC deep cycle battery shurlo pump will work better then elevating that 2,000 gallon tank & cheaper. Can recharge the battery with jumper cables from your vehicle. 2,000 gallons of water you are looking at supporting 16,000lbs plus of weight.
A shurflo pump would work well but a car battery (or deep cycle ) and a small solar battery charger would make it a "flip the switch" set up

·
Registered
34 Posts
2# small propane bottles,,, I have a 100 lb propane tank (cheap to buy if used) and an adapter to refill the small tanks.
It's very very low cost way to refill them. About $8.00 for the adapter -- check eBay

Whoa, that is super dangerous. Unless you want a rocket propelled projectile I'd get some safety measure asap. Pressure gauge and a BOV.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Whoa, that is super dangerous. Unless you want a rocket propelled projectile I'd get some safety measure asap. Pressure gauge and a BOV.
I filled several but you have to turn the 20 lb tank upside down to get the liquid propane and it fills the 1lb to 75% their capacity. But be sure to get a filter if using them on something like MR Heaters. Best to use the filters on anything that you use the refilled tanks on. Because 20 lb tanks are designed to use just the gas (up right) and if there is any particles or oil in the tank it will come out when upside down.

It's not as dangerous as it looks because the adapter has a needle that goes into the 1lb bottle that greatly restricts the flow, just remember to close the valve on the large cylinder before removing the tank.

Amazon.com - Mr. Heater Fuel Filter for Portable Buddy and Big Buddy Heaters #F273699

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.