Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
The tool that I always forget about but use constantly is a dead blow mallet. - Use it for sealing or opening gamma seal lids on food; use it for assembling furniture parts for glue up.

Reactions: Wildecard

·
Super Moderator
9,673 Posts
Posting this under two threads cause if you camp, hunt, live anywhere there are tree's at all and need to clear a trail, or get firewood, you know how handy these are. And this is CHEAP!

21" Bow Saw GREAT DEAL!

Order online and shippings only $7. Given what you save in tax and gas to get to the store, that's a steal!

Just came back from Home Depot today and they sell this EXACT same saw painted black under the name "Fiskars" for $19.99! Replacement blades alone were $7.99! Looking very close at both saws, I'm convinced they came from the same factory, just painted different.
I thought Harbor Freight was everywhere now. There are 3 within easy driving distance from my house.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Most homeowners with a few years under their belts have probably acquired a fair amount of hand tools and implements and the know how to use them. Goes with owning a home. The same tools used to perform repairs around the house or build will also be useful should the SHTF. Nails and screws come in handy yet are often overlooked.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
"a dead blow mallet"

Looks like I got here too late. When I was a rookie carpenter for The Master Lock Company I had to smash up lots of wood. Despite having superior custom carpenters (over 20 at that time) there was always wood that would split, warp or simply defy the colors the head carpenter demanded. That's when "summer help" was hired--meaning teenage kids, like me, who needed money for college and didn't know much about 'wood.'

As for that "mallet," I was the star of the show! You give me a mallet and I would be the boy-hero who worked for the apple-eyed executive artisan. That was my dad in those days.

I miss destroying things. After all, I bought all the expensive stuff in my house now, and I'm a bit more careful...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I say almost BS to this
Yes you need to know how, but without the proper tools it is much much harder or impossible.

To cut wood without a chain saw is possible, to weld metal together without electricity is almost impossible.

Knowing how to fell a tree without an axe is only knowledge.
, to weld metal together without electricity is almost impossible,
not if you know how to weld using an oxy-acetelene torch. Fair certain blacksmiths didn't have electricity when they were welding wagon wheel rims.

Knowing how to fell a tree without an axe is only knowledge.
I recall reading something, somewhere, about how the indigenous people used fire, clay, and rudimentary stone axes to fell trees.

My father told me, tools and knowing how to use them is an investment.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Most homeowners with a few years under their belts have probably acquired a fair amount of hand tools and implements and the know how to use them. Goes with owning a home. The same tools used to perform repairs around the house or build will also be useful should the SHTF. Nails and screws come in handy yet are often overlooked.
Ayuh, that's the way it works.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts