Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone with a gun safe will relate to me today. In anticipation of going pig hunting tomorrow, I reached into the back of the safe and pulled out a few old friends. I loaded them all up and headed down to the river range behind my house to see how they still shot after not being used in more than a decade. I cleaned them all before heading out. The first was my tried and true Ruger M77 in 30-06 with a 4-7 Leupold scope on it. Once I started Elk hunting about 15 years ago I got a 300 Win. Mag. and haven't used the 06 since. Well, the 30-06 was dead bang accurate shooting about 1" groups with Remington 165 grain core locks. I then moved on to an old Marlin .44 Mag lever gun with a William Peep sight that is only a ghost ring. Wow, I couldn't shoot a decent group to save my life. I have noticed after passing 50 years that my eyesight isn't what it used to be. I was disappointed as I was sure the .44 was going hunting with me. I then pulled out a new model Marlin .357 stainless lever gun that I put a Skinner sight on a few years ago. I have never really shot it much after getting it fixed up the way I wanted it. I won't say I was putting them in the same hole, but I wouldn't want to be a mouse on the other end of that rifle. Boy it shot well. It has a much smaller appeture in the rear ring and I am sure that made a big difference. Also, that .44 was wacking my shoulder pretty good and the .357 wasn't hardly felt. Since I have two pig tags I'm going to bring both the 30-06 and the .357 lever (plus a .357 revolver) and I plan to hopefully shoot the first with the 30-06. Once I have freezer meat I plan on using the .357 lever. It was really fun to spend time with my old friends this afternoon. I'm taking my 4 year old out squirrel hunting in the morning and my 7 year old is going pig hunting with me in the afternoon. It should be a great day.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Some years ago I bought two rifles the same day. One was the Ruger M77 in a .223 the other was a Remington 700 30-06 six I still have both some where.
Both fine fire arms . When I saw to mention the M77 fond memories of that 77 returned.
When you go back to a ghost ring after not using one it may take time to get use to it again.
Fire arms you have owned for a life time are almost family

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
We took Mrs Inor's new Garand out yesterday. We each took the first two shots without aiming at anything but the backstop of the range just to get a feel for it. Starting on the third shot for each of us, we started aiming. I was absolutely amazed with that gun! Both of us were consistently hitting 1 1/2 inch groups at 50 yards - and we are both average shooters at best.

My dad had a Garand that he used for deer hunting, but he sold it about 30 years ago. I remember it shooting well, but nothing special. I must have been too young to know better because Mrs Inor's is the sweetest rifle I have ever shot.

Smitty: All firearms I own are like family. I have never sold a gun.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I know of what y'all speak. I've still got the first gun my Dad gave me, a Winchester 1906 .22 pump rifle. I've shot countless squirrel and rabbit with it over the years as well as numerous other things. Wrote Winchester years ago and asked for any info they had on it, and found out that it had been sold to my Grandmother from the Sears & Roebuck catalog. I guess that would be my one man, one gun firearm. Still have all the guns that he passed to me and have told my daughter that those stay in the family, period.

All the rest of the guns that I've aquired over the last 30 some years have their own stories to tell. Grab any one out of the safe and I can tell you a specific hunt or other story about it. I guess car guys probably could say the same thing, but most of them don't still have all of them in the garage. Yes, there's alot of money in that gunsafe, but alot more memories, and at least I didn't spend it all on women and booze!

Wood Office supplies Gun accessory Electric blue Metal

·
Super Moderator
9,641 Posts
Hey not to steal a good thread but I had a talk with some friends about Prepping...first discussion with them.... Their response was...we have thought about it and we planned to come to you for help...never under estimate the folks that may show up on the day and need to be taken in or turned away. I was a bit surprised, even a bit honored...the immediately thought of....oh shit...how do I turn away friends.....I don't. Maybe a different post.... my last bombed horribly.
Don't give up. Try again, you may be surprised. Mostly it depends on the topic.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
Don't give up. Try again, you may be surprised. Mostly it depends on the topic.
Exactly. And if some turd shows up and tries to turn the tide into illegal immigration or how wonderful obamacare is, we'll have your back and write posts about turtles, bacon, throwing poo and Ford trucks. At least that way, we all get a laugh.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
We took Mrs Inor's new Garand out yesterday. We each took the first two shots without aiming at anything but the backstop of the range just to get a feel for it. Starting on the third shot for each of us, we started aiming. I was absolutely amazed with that gun! Both of us were consistently hitting 1 1/2 inch groups at 50 yards - and we are both average shooters at best.

My dad had a Garand that he used for deer hunting, but he sold it about 30 years ago. I remember it shooting well, but nothing special. I must have been too young to know better because Mrs Inor's is the sweetest rifle I have ever shot.

I bought a service grade from the CMP 10 years ago (or there abouts) It is my favorite to shoot, very accurate, excellent sights, and beautiful. What more can a guy ask for in a rifle?

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Dang, I missed the bacon flavored candy canes. Would have made great stocking stuffers.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Threads drift sometimes.
I have gotten rid of one weapon in my like time because it was unsafe junk. I have kept or pasted to my children every fire are that ever came to me.
This is the original AR7 had pistol barrel and rifle barrel with a removable stock I don't remember how long this one has been a round.
Took a lot of rabbits

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
love the Rugers
Some years ago I bought two rifles the same day. One was the Ruger M77 in a .223 the other was a Remington 700 30-06 six I still have both some where.
Both fine fire arms . When I saw to mention the M77 fond memories of that 77 returned.
When you go back to a ghost ring after not using one it may take time to get use to it again.
Fire arms you have owned for a life time are almost family

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I am a Certified Garand Nut I have 4 / M1 Garand type 1 NM, Type 2 NM, C and D

·
Registered
855 Posts

This is no fluke I think the vast majority of Garands shoot very well. I was blown away by how well mine shoots even off hand which I'm sure has a lot to do with the weight of the rifle. with M2 ball ammo mine will shoot 2" groups off the bench at 100yds if I do my part. They are fantastic guns and I'm already looking forward to my next one.

-Infidel

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
This is no fluke I think the vast majority of Garands shoot very well. I was blown away by how well mine shoots even off hand which I'm sure has a lot to do with the weight of the rifle. with M2 ball ammo mine will shoot 2" groups off the bench at 100yds if I do my part. They are fantastic guns and I'm already looking forward to my next one.

-Infidel
Agreed. I see several more in our future as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts