Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in a rural area of Northern New England and we suffer regular power outages due to wind, ice, snowstorms--you name it. We now have a diesel generator which kicks on automatically whenever there is a power outage. And yet . . . I find that I miss the power outages. Preparation for us used to be lighting the candles and cooking by camp stove. Now, the lights blink off, the generator starts up and we don't even have to worry about stuff in the fridge. It's certainly more convenient, but it's not very fun.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Some people complain of a lack of fun or even boredom, others appreciate that this is a break between times of interest and excitement. Appreciate the break it will end.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I used to love power outages as a kid, they seemed like so much fun. My parents would get out the old kerosene lamps, we'd light candles, and play board games while waiting for power to be restored. Until one of those power outages lasted 3 days, in the dead of winter with snow on the ground. Our refrigerated/frozen food didn't spoil (since it was so cold outside) luckily, and we had a large wood burning stove with months of cut firewood that we used every winter to help heat the house. Needless to say after that, power outages didn't look so fun anymore! lol

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
I am fortunate that we don't lose power that often. It's weird, but neighborhoods all around us lose it with some short term frequency when we have wind storms, but not us.

The last time we did was a few years ago and it lasted about 16 hours. Which is longer than any outage I've ever experienced. I broke out the camp stove the next morning, made breakfast. We had spent the night with lanterns going, playing games, had the kids sleep in the living room and put blankets up over the entryways to other places from the living room to conserve heat. While I was cooking breakfast, the power came back on. The kids were really disappointed, so we shut everything off and did our thing until we finished eating. My younger ones still talk about it.

For them, it's an exciting novelty that I'm sure would soon wear off if it lasted more than a day or so.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
A few years ago we had a large ice storm that knocked out power all over the state, but I wasn't worried because I was well preparied. I was actually looking forward for it. I don't think my lights even blinked off I seemed to be the only one at work with power. I ended up lending several of my relatives things to help them out. The closest I came lately was during the winter my heater went out at night. I didn't even loose any sleep I just got my Mr Heater out and went back to sleep.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It was because of a power outage I decided to start prepping, I was once one of the un prepared and when it hit all I could muster up was a couple of tea candles, thankfully it was only off a few hours but I swore to myself that I would never let it happen again. I even invested in blackout curtain liners to block any light from inside the house so the community think I am affected by blackouts too :), the reality being my backup power kicks in and I am good for a while. The last thing you need in a no power situation is to advertise you have it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Interesting to read this and realize how fortunate I am. I live in southern California and in the last 10 years of living in my home i can only remember 2 times where the power was out more than 20-30 minutes. Was more of a nuisance than anything else... Even though i am prepared for living without power, i have never done it... I would consider turning off the main for a weekend, but it would have to be in the winter.. Our summers are too darn hot...

·
Registered
921 Posts
It was because of a power outage I decided to start prepping, I was once one of the un prepared and when it hit all I could muster up was a couple of tea candles, thankfully it was only off a few hours but I swore to myself that I would never let it happen again. I even invested in blackout curtain liners to block any light from inside the house so the community think I am affected by blackouts too :), the reality being my backup power kicks in and I am good for a while. The last thing you need in a no power situation is to advertise you have it.
You said backup power. If it's a generator, they'll know anyway.
If it's a "power center", they probably won't

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I also have a generator, but things aren't the same around here when there is a power outage. I only run the generator a few hours at a time, long enough to cool the Refrig. back down and such, of course I enjoy having lights and things during that time, but with the price of fuel being what it is, it isn't round the clock electricity around my home during an outage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You said backup power. If it's a generator, they'll know anyway.
If it's a "power center", they probably won't
I have concealed solar panels on a flat roof (south facing and slightly angled but maybe not the best position but hey it works for me) they are not visible unless you are directly above them, these are fed into a bank of batteries that keep various things charged and working. I try to keep as much of what I do low key so as to not attract unwanted eyes. I can live on minimal power if need be until such a time the grid can be restored. If it looks like that is not an option then I do have a generator but I would only use it if I really needed too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts