Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Twelve or so hours from now we should have a fresh batch of dehydrated vegetables for our food storage.

We started a seven pound batch of carrots, corn, green beans, and peas. Frozen vegetables are the easiest to use in the dehydrator because no preparation is needed. We do, however, let the frozen bags sit on the counter for about an hour. This will allow them to thaw a bit and make it easier to break apart frozen chunks, like the carrots.

After dehydration we store the goodies in mason jars and use a vacuum sealer to remove the air. Each quart mason jar will hold approximately 8 pounds of frozen vegetables when dehydrated.

Each pound of frozen vegetables dehydrates down into approximately a 1/2 cup dry. Stay with me here...just a little more math. A one pound frozen bag has approximately 5 servings. Since a mason jar will hold 8 pounds frozen that gives us 40 (2/3 cup) servings of vegetables in each jar.

The best prices we've found for frozen veggies has been from WalMart. We did look at Costco and Sam's for frozen vegetables in bulk 5 pound bags, but WalMart was still the cheapest.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update: The peas, corn, and carrots are done. The green beans will take a few more hours.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Good post I am going to give this a try. I might put mine in Mylar with oxygen absorbers.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
great post dude I just so happen to have all the stuff up there in the kitchen to do it. I'm going to try this.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I like making jerky with my dehydrator

Keep in mind a dehydrator uses a LOT of electricity, mine is about 8kw a day.

I have the plans to make a solar one, just need to take the time to do it.

Great post

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Awesome, I wonder what strawberries or apricots would be like. I have thought of trying to boxfan some sliced strawberries.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Awesome, I wonder what strawberries or apricots would be like. I have thought of trying to boxfan some sliced strawberries.
If you dehydrate anything with sugar, dip them in lemon juice before you start, it will keep them from turning brown.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Oh wow, I have that exact same dehydrator! I've used it for jerky, and that's been it so far. I've been wanting to do some fruit with it though, what do you think is the best method for storing the dried fruit? I'm almost a total beginner here, but look forward to learning as much as I can about this!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh wow, I have that exact same dehydrator! I've used it for jerky, and that's been it so far. I've been wanting to do some fruit with it though, what do you think is the best method for storing the dried fruit? I'm almost a total beginner here, but look forward to learning as much as I can about this!
I vacuum seal everything I dehydrate, either in jars or bags. Dried fruit doesn't have a long life span like veggies. Be sure to rotate your stock.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Montana Rancher - I use a small spray bottle filled with lemon juice for fruit instead of dipping. Takes less time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts