Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know anything about the Missouri River Brand Tomahawks? I was wondering what the quality was on these things as I saw one in Cabelas today and its the first one I have handled that felt pretty comfortable in hand. Rumor control has it that this one is made in India specifically for Cabelas under contract. It appears to have hammer marks on it from being worked by hand to some degree. It ran about 30 bucks with a 19 inch wood handle.

Im not really on the look out for a tacticool Hawk but I would consider one for dual purposes, for light chopping around camp and possible impromtu defense if it came down to it as well as other mundane duties around camp.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I don't know anything about them, but from this picture at this point if this is them as I couldn't find one on Cabelas, I'd say you'd be better off with a modern axe. The old Native style tomahawks are nostalgic, but there are better options today for actual use and durability.

missriverhawkiron.jpg

camping and sport axes - KnifeCenter

·
Registered
280 Posts
I think a hatchet [or camp ax] will chop better
and anything will work for 'impromtu defense'....
machete, hatchet, bowie, rattan stick,etc.

They are nice and nostalgic, but really don't
balance well for chopping.

·
Registered
7,936 Posts
I don't know anything about them, but from this picture at this point if this is them as I couldn't find one on Cabelas, I'd say you'd be better off with a modern axe. The old Native style tomahawks are nostalgic, but there are better options today for actual use and durability.

View attachment 1022

camping and sport axes - KnifeCenter
That's a ceremonial one with the heart for playing dressup in parades .

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yeah I saw those on Crazy Crow infact thats where I found out more about them than anything. Aqua Hull is right thats more of a dress up model for playing Rondevous (sp?).

Cabela's: Cabela's Mouse Throwing Tomahawk

This is what I saw at Cabelas. Its much lighter than an Ax or Hatchet. The head on it looks a lot bigger in the pic than it really is. Its comparable in size to the larger hawk by SOG. Looks like it would compliment the Bow Saw I carry which is what I use for most of my wood cutting duties, but has the benefit of doing a better job of lopping off squirrel feet and tails, or cottontails for that matter, hammering tent stakes and a few other jobs in addition to making for a pretty effective weapon if needed. Im just not the kind of guy who watched Mel Gibson in the Patriot and now I gotta have one too in case I got to hack zombies to death. Just looking for something thats decent quality wise thats light weight and has some utility about it. Just didnt wanna spend a 100 plus bucks in the process. I looked at both sizes of the SOG and just didnt like the balance and its not a slide on head so replacing a broken handle looks like it wouldnt be easy.

·
Registered
93 Posts
This is what I use around camp

SOG Tactical Tomahawk. The Tactical Tomahawk From SOG Specialty Knives & Tools

way lighter then most hatchets. I also like the handle wich is a little longer then most hatchets.

Works great for light shelter building,kindling making and general camp use. The chisel end works good for chipping/breaking away ice which is very useful up here for getting to a water source.

I also spent another 25 bucks and got the kydex sheath to replace the cheapy lil nylon one that came with it. Tool snaps into it just right and it has attaching slots on it so you can lash it to anything or run it on a utility belt or molle system.

for 65 bucks its a dang good tool.

for 40 bucks its a good value to me.

·
Registered
938 Posts
This is what I use around camp

SOG Tactical Tomahawk. The Tactical Tomahawk From SOG Specialty Knives & Tools

way lighter then most hatchets. I also like the handle wich is a little longer then most hatchets.

Works great for light shelter building,kindling making and general camp use. The chisel end works good for chipping/breaking away ice which is very useful up here for getting to a water source.

I also spent another 25 bucks and got the kydex sheath to replace the cheapy lil nylon one that came with it. Tool snaps into it just right and it has attaching slots on it so you can lash it to anything or run it on a utility belt or molle system.

for 65 bucks its a dang good tool.

for 40 bucks its a good value to me.
I use these too, for light to medium use they are fine.

For heavier stuff, I use an Estwing axe.

Estwing Axes and Outdoor Tools

·
Registered
938 Posts
I have an Estwing 26 inch campers ax....probably 15 yrs. old....excellent tool...well worth the money....I have one of the SOG things and IMO it is not much good for anything compared to a real hatchet/ short ax....
The SOG Tactical Tomahawk would be useful for break and rake usage, chipping ice holes, quartering game, splitting kindling, and for last-ditch defensive use. I bought it because it was light in weight, and works well in a bug out bag. I also bought a SOG Mark II knife. Both of these are based on VietNam era weaponry, and are lightweight edged weapons, but they carry well. And they can more than do the job in an emergency situation.

But it is not a true tool like the Estwings are -- I have the Sportsman axe with the layered leather handle for kindling and general chopping, hammering in tent stakes, and I also use the stand alone splitting wedge on large (trunk-sized) logs.

I use a splitting maul and sledgehammer for firewood, mostly, though. A splitting maul will put hair on your chest, and if you have it already, it will part yours right down the middle. :lol:

·
Registered
355 Posts
If you are into making your own knife... try a car leaf spring. Or a spike from a train track. Really good steel.

·
Registered
492 Posts
check ebay for old axe heads. Look for old craftsman, plumb, fuller. Then go to true value hardware and buy a hickory hatchet handle for $3.00 and Voila! one bad ass american meat axe/camp axe/hammer. I lucked out and made one up. I'll try to post a pic soon. Good luck trying to buy an axe handle from a home depot.

punch

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I have a SOG tactical also and would carry it in the place of a large knife. But actually after testing several blade devices for cutting wood a Coleman camp saw worked the best I just don't know how long they would stay sharp and as a slashing weapon I bet they would be devastating.
Coleman - Camp Saw

PS. If you are going to use a tomahawk as a throwing weapon please take time to learn the correct way to throw it.

·
Registered
492 Posts
please remember a dull axe will glance or bounce off your intended target and land near or on your feet/legs ect. Be careful gang. Have a great weekend all! Great clip Ricky. I saw that one once during Johnny's last season.

punch

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Reactions: JPARIZ

·
Registered
66 Posts
If you are into making your own knife... try a car leaf spring. Or a spike from a train track. Really good steel.
Leaf springs are usually 5160. Great for tomahawks and large blades.
RR Spikes can be a hit or miss depending on when/where they were made.
If they're stamped, "HC" (High carbon) you're good to go.
Other unmarked ones are usually low carbon mild steel and hold a poor edge.

Here's a chart, hope this helps.

jnkstee1.jpg

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
TASM, Tomahawk anti-ship missle, handy to have around.

TLAM-C, Tomahawk Land Attack Missile, Conventional. For when you have a point to make.

TLAM-N, Tomahawk Land Attack Missle, Nuclear. For when you have a point to make, and don't feel like repeating yourself.

·
Administrator
14,853 Posts
If I'm in a survival type situation I want equipment I can trust. That's why in my truck I carry for wood cutting, besides an old American made Craftsman bow saw, and Estwing hatchet - the one with the stacked leather handle.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts