Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Big business has found yet another way to rip us off. Toilet paper sheets for years were 4 1/2 x 4 1/2 inches. First they reduced the length of the sheet. Of course they market the roll primarily by number of sheets so a 1000 sheet roll is now about 10% shorter. Did you notice the reduction in price? Now they are reducing the width of the roll from 4 1/2 to 4 1/4 with a similar reduction in price. A half gallon of ice cream is mostly 3 pints now. A pound of coffee is about 12 ounces. A loaf of bread is likely to be 22 ounces instead of 24 and an 18 ounce jar a peanut butter around 16..

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Still beats the heck out of fish heads and rice for breakfast, . . . lunch, . . . and dinner, . . . with an occasional "balloot" (boiled egg containing baby chicken about 1 or 2 days from hatching) as a treat.

Quitcherbellyaching, . . . fight em with your pocket book, . . . buy from the ones who are not playing these games.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
58 Posts
Toilet paper sheets for years were 4 1/2 x 4 1/2 inches. First they reduced the length of the sheet. Of course they market the roll primarily by number of sheets so a 1000 sheet roll is now about 10% shorter. Now they are reducing the width of the roll from 4 1/2 to 4 1/4 with a similar reduction in price.
Maybe backsides aren't as wide as they used to be. Oh, wait . . .

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Ever notice the price of diesel? Almost everything we purchase has been trucked, by diesel using tractor trailers. That increase in shipping has to be made up somewhere. Either increase the price, or decrease the amount, most of the time a little of both. Example, last year I was buying two 22.5 lbs of charcoal from Sams for $14.88, this year it looked almost exactly the same for the same price until you noticed it was two 20 lbs bags for $14.88, a few months later, it is now two 20 lbs bags for $16.88.
It's a free market, the sellers can sell for whatever price they want, but as consumers we don't have to buy it.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Big business has found yet another way to rip us off. Toilet paper sheets for years were 4 1/2 x 4 1/2 inches. First they reduced the length of the sheet. Of course they market the roll primarily by number of sheets so a 1000 sheet roll is now about 10% shorter. Did you notice the reduction in price? Now they are reducing the width of the roll from 4 1/2 to 4 1/4 with a similar reduction in price. A half gallon of ice cream is mostly 3 pints now. A pound of coffee is about 12 ounces. A loaf of bread is likely to be 22 ounces instead of 24 and an 18 ounce jar a peanut butter around 16..
it is not a rip off it is inflation and pricing. If they kept everything the same and went up on the price many would buy another brand. I've solved the problem by using the other side.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Shop around and find the best deal. It's inflation.

Also, sometimes (and I'm not saying this is necessarily one of them), companies will figure out that they don't need to provide you with a full 4 1/2" clean the crack. May well be that the extra 1/4" doesn't take anything away from the wipe. Just uses less material so they don't have to raise prices. For example, I love the paper towels in the half sheets. If I have something small to wipe up, I am using half the material to accomplish the same job I used to do.

·
Administrator
15,444 Posts
You didn't mention it, but the cheap "store brands" don't put the number of sheets in very big print because the rolls, while apparently the same diameter, are wound looser so you don't get as many sheets. The lighter weight of the roll is a dead giveaway.
Since islam seems to be in vogue these days, maybe they just want us to wipe with our fingers instead.

·
Mod Squad
2,260 Posts
I keep 4 X 30 round mags for my AR loaded with 25 rounds each. As I understand it (or misunderstand it) the reason we were told to load less was that the spring would fatigue and get weaker. Because of advances in metallurgy, this is probably no longer true, if it ever was. Fully loaded mags are under a lot of spring pressure though, and the first few rounds would be harder to strip and feed. This could possibly lead to failure to feed stoppages.

I dunno one way or the other, but I only load 25 in my "ready" mags just in case.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Another scam are the "Bargain Packs" which contain 6 packets of things like potato chips and are supposed to work out cheaper than if you bought 6 separate packets.
But the packets in the "Bargain Packs" are fractionally smaller than regular packets and you therefore don't save money at all!

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
And back on topic...

Sittin' on the toilet...waiting for Obama...to pay for my toilet paper...while filming with the camera...I bought from selling...my food stamps for cash...sittin' on the toilet...don't have a job...but I don't need one...cause the government provides...everything I need...sittin' on the toilet...

If Obama had relatives sittin' on the toilet, it would look like this.

·
Super Moderator
9,216 Posts
Ever notice the price of diesel? Almost everything we purchase has been trucked, by diesel using tractor trailers. That increase in shipping has to be made up somewhere. Either increase the price, or decrease the amount, most of the time a little of both. Example, last year I was buying two 22.5 lbs of charcoal from Sams for $14.88, this year it looked almost exactly the same for the same price until you noticed it was two 20 lbs bags for $14.88, a few months later, it is now two 20 lbs bags for $16.88.
It's a free market, the sellers can sell for whatever price they want, but as consumers we don't have to buy it.
But yet the oil refining companies are export about 1,000,000 (that's right one million) barrels of diesel fuel each and every day, because the US has so much natural gas needed to refine it. I still don't understand why we import oil from Saudi Arabia, etc. and sell the oil from Alaska to Japan?????

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.