Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a all hands lunch/Pizza meeting at our company today. After chatting about products, projects, and other business stuff... Topic turned to food shortages and empty shelves... and it was not me that started the discussion..

more and more folks are waking up

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
9,950 Posts
It's creeping in, little by little.
Wednesday night during our church class, we broke into smaller groups for discussion time. My group pretty quickly made a hard tangent to "homesteading" and planning to live off the land, and it wasn't my doing.
I played my cards close, since I don't know much about the other folk's true intentions just yet. But it was interesting to see the topic discussed by people I considered "normies" before this discussion.
Eyes are beginning to open.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I too had a similar interaction today. Our local Walmart got some canning lids and jars in stock so naturally I had to go load up. A lady working for Walmart at the self checkout section noticed me buying them and was surprised they had them in stock. She started in saying that her elderly parents just gave her all their canners, supplies, etc. She said she grew up around stuff like that and "the way things are going, everyones gonna need to know how to can soon". Not the convo I expected to have but i agree with yall, people see the direction this ship is headed.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Haven't noticed much but I walk away quickly when the subject comes up. Lesson has been learned.

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
people see the direction this ship is headed

Are you sure tis is correct, or are we just giving into sadness or disconnection? Sometimes I feel that "the world" is crumpling, only to find that it's "just me."

More and more I just let my wife sleep and I slip out into the living room and just give myself one, big pity party. I never really find those solid, dark night answers, and the upshot is my own faulty.

·
Registered
80 Posts
people see the direction this ship is headed

Are you sure tis is correct, or are we just giving into sadness or disconnection? Sometimes I feel that "the world" is crumpling, only to find that it's "just me."

More and more I just let my wife sleep and I slip out into the living room and just give myself one, big pity party. I never really find those solid, dark night answers, and the upshot is my own faulty.
Purely my opinion. There is no correct answer.

·
Super Moderator
9,191 Posts
My sister-in-law who wanted me to send her a firearm at the beginning of the "pandemic" and started to look like she was accepting the idea of being prepared has fallen into old habits. Remarked in a phone conversation with my wife, she hasn't had to go shopping for food for a good month. She was real happy, because of the rising cost of food. Duh! I told her let me kn ow if she ever wants to sell Ruger LCP for a couple of hundred. Hope she does.

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
One of the things I would like to see when discussing a "weapon" for use as a law-abiding citizen is that there are numerous items than can be utilized. For example, I am probably more attuned to using a knife as opposed to a firearm.

The reason is simple. I've used a knife as a concealed weapon for all of the years I went to college. This was a period when "problematic central city" kids were granted tenure for just standing around.

My skills were limited. I had used "automatic folding knives" for slicing open boxes and encouraging drunks to vomit in a differing direction. I had a few decades with knives, but almost no understanding of firearms, at all. I learned that from hanging around motorcycle shops and clubs.

One thing I learned right away--just because you bought a knife/gun it doesn't mean you're immediately a expert...

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One of the things I would like to see when discussing a "weapon" for use as a law-abiding citizen is that there are numerous items than can be utilized. For example, I am probably more attuned to using a knife as opposed to a firearm.

The reason is simple. I've used a knife as a concealed weapon for all of the years I went to college. This was a period when "problematic central city" kids were granted tenure for just standing around.

My skills were limited. I had used "automatic folding knives" for slicing open boxes and encouraging drunks to vomit in a differing direction. I had a few decades with knives, but almost no understanding of firearms, at all. I learned that from hanging around motorcycle shops and clubs.

One thing I learned right away--just because you bought a knife/gun it doesn't mean you're immediately a expert...
Speaking of building a nuclear weapon - I own a knife

to a doctor everything is medicine
to a lawyer everything is about the law
to "The Tourist" everything is about knives

·
Registered
593 Posts
I've not been trained in defensive use of a knife, although I would agree that up close it an effective deterrent. However, when the mutant hoards are headed down my street and toward my house, I think a well loaded AR and/or shotgun would be more effective. I Don't expect for them to be close enough to use a knife.

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
I've not been trained in defensive use of a knife

I wasn't, either. Like most rookies, I ran into a guy at a art craft lesson and I learned an entire new and secondary use for knives and "backing out" of a dangerous entanglement. My purpose was to be able to walk through student neighborhoods at night without a bunch of static.

To be fair, this was at a time where most people did not carry guns in that section of town. In fact, I'm amazed at how fast defensively trained individuals approached firearms as a "necessary" appliance.

If you are not trained with a knife I would suggest you find a qualified trainer who teaches fencing. Many of the moves and steps in fencing also apply in self-defense. When an attacker realizes that you might "engage" for defense, the problem usually resolves itself.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts