Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any great tips for preparing your house against a roving band of Marauders?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I do agree with you saul in the fact that if someone wants somthing bad enough they'll get it. But if your able to kill most of their family and friends who are raiding you house, or hurting them to the point were pain is to much they would obviously leave. I would suggest plywood over windows. Im not the expert at staying at home, as i am only focused at bugging out at the moment, i however thought i would make a post because i disagree with you for the most part saul.

·
Registered
240 Posts
The front room on my house is small but has large windows on three sides. I cut 4 pieces of plywood 2 foot by 4 foot to cover the bottom half of the 4 windows. Then I bought some news blinds for each window. Took the old blinds and stapled them to the plywood. When they are in place everything looks normal from the outside. If I ever need to put them to use they would be screwed in place and reinforced with some 2X6's. The panels are stored behind the couch for now completely out of sight.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Another thing you can do is replace the screws on your doors strike plate. Many times the screws are as short as half inch. Replaced mine with 3 inch screws. Also on my back door it has a metal frame so replaced the mounting screws on that door frame with the 3 inch screws. My son in law is set on having deadbolt locks that require a key to exit the house. I understand his thinking since there is glass in the door that could be broken and reach in and unlock the door. Both my doors are solid steel so no worries there. My problem with his thinking is what if the house is on fire and your in your pjs, where did you leave those keys? I also plan on making a triangular frame out of 2x4's that would go under the doorknob and butt up against the base of the chimney.

·
Administrator
14,690 Posts
Excellent observation on the hinge and strike plate screws on your doors. Screws long enough to go thru the jamb and into the framing behind it are the way to go. 3 & 1/2" long or longer.
And you brought up another good point as well about the deadbolt. There is an old Army axiom that says "Make it too hard for the enemy to get in and it will be too hard for you to get out." This pertains to any perimeter whether it be house, bunker, base camp, or night time laager.

Reactions: survival and hayden

·
Administrator
14,690 Posts
do you thank every person be out to gat you? that must be a bad way to leve do you look over your shulder all day long? i leave my door unlocked
We live on a dead end dirt road 6 miles outside a one stop light town of 2,000 people.
And as I'm sitting here, the front door is open, there are four dogs at my feet, and a 44 revolver in my pocket.
Nah, I ain't scared. Just prepared.

Reactions: Mr Ed and HVU

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
do you thank every person be out to gat you? that must be a bad way to leve do you look over your shulder all day long? i leave my door unlocked
When we bought our place 12 years ago nobody in the neighborhood locked their doors or their windows. It's a nice semi-suburbarn / farmland area and pretty quiet.
Unfortunately that has changed over the past decade... no shortage of burglaries, invasions, etc. - Today there's 3M security film on the ground floor windows, steel cased doors with "door clubs", video cameras and a rather comprehensive security system that has already thwarted a number of unwanted "visitors". When my GF works from the home office, she does so with a .45 at her side.
When I'm kickin' back in the evening after a day at the office, the Sig I carry every day is still on my person.
The unfortunate truth is that the world has exceeded it's quota of bad guys who would rather steal than earn and are willing to inflict harm upon innocent people for a few bucks and/or prescription medicines. Even in "nice neighborhoods", the unprepared all to often become statistics.

Reactions: Rocky and survival

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
  • Rose bushes under windows with huge thorns
  • House dogs inside
  • Mean F'ing dogs outside
  • Get a PO box instead of mail delivered to your home, or have a trusted friend get your mail so when your on vacation people will not know your gone.
  • Fireproof sealant for your exterior surfaces
  • Metal roof
  • There is a new unbreakable plexiglass that you can actually see through, use for windows
  • UPS (with everything connected for failback in case of intentional power cuts).
  • Hardwire phones
  • Security cameras
  • Motion detectors
  • If in the woods, hidden gas cans near trees, plenty of tracers.........You get the idea.
  • Yard sprinklers pointed towards house, inside switch. In case someone lights up your home with a cocktail.
  • Access to the roof from inside the house, keep something in the attic that can punch a hole through the roof.
  • If in low areas prone to flooding, keep a raft in your attic with a pump.
  • Yard sign like a ADT security, also on all of your windows. Driveway sign with warnings as well.
  • Electric (battery powered) door locks on all doors that automatically lock when exiting and you have to use a keycode to get back in. Also one for your garage.
  • Catfish line strung tree to tree when shtf, at least 30lb test. Raiders cannot see it that good and will slow them down.
  • Barbwire, broken glass, roof tacks through your yard when shtf.
  • Build a very high raised garden bed on all 4 corners of your home with railroad ties, inside sandbags lining the walls. Fashion a lattice style false bed during the summer, have it for quick pill boxes during shtf.
  • Buy a junk car for $100, have it towed to your home, leave it there so when your at work people think someone is home.
  • Trust worthy neighbors to watch out for your home, as well as theirs.
  • Security lights, motion sensored or electric company rented.
  • Pre range your yardage of objects in your area, have list next to each window. Example: Neighbor across street house 200 yards etc.
  • 550 steel plates from welding companies purchased and fashioned with a bolt hole precut. Fashion them when shtf to the surroundings of your windows for protection if you have to man a window.

·
Administrator
14,690 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
  • Rose bushes under windows with huge thorns
  • House dogs inside
  • Mean F'ing dogs outside
  • Get a PO box instead of mail delivered to your home, or have a trusted friend get your mail so when your on vacation people will not know your gone.
  • Fireproof sealant for your exterior surfaces
  • Metal roof
  • There is a new unbreakable plexiglass that you can actually see through, use for windows
  • UPS (with everything connected for failback in case of intentional power cuts).
  • Hardwire phones
  • Security cameras
  • Motion detectors
  • If in the woods, hidden gas cans near trees, plenty of tracers.........You get the idea.
  • Yard sprinklers pointed towards house, inside switch. In case someone lights up your home with a cocktail.
  • Access to the roof from inside the house, keep something in the attic that can punch a hole through the roof.
  • If in low areas prone to flooding, keep a raft in your attic with a pump.
  • Yard sign like a ADT security, also on all of your windows. Driveway sign with warnings as well.
  • Electric (battery powered) door locks on all doors that automatically lock when exiting and you have to use a keycode to get back in. Also one for your garage.
  • Catfish line strung tree to tree when shtf, at least 30lb test. Raiders cannot see it that good and will slow them down.
  • Barbwire, broken glass, roof tacks through your yard when shtf.
  • Build a very high raised garden bed on all 4 corners of your home with railroad ties, inside sandbags lining the walls. Fashion a lattice style false bed during the summer, have it for quick pill boxes during shtf.
  • Buy a junk car for $100, have it towed to your home, leave it there so when your at work people think someone is home.
  • Trust worthy neighbors to watch out for your home, as well as theirs.
  • Security lights, motion sensored or electric company rented.
  • Pre range your yardage of objects in your area, have list next to each window. Example: Neighbor across street house 200 yards etc.
  • 550 steel plates from welding companies purchased and fashioned with a bolt hole precut. Fashion them when shtf to the surroundings of your windows for protection if you have to man a window.
Wow! That is a well thought out list!

Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
The best way to harden your house is to get outside and think what you would do take over the house or destroy it. Could you fire bomb it from a concealed area like the corner of a neighbors home. Fire bombing would probably be the first weapon of choice. If they catch your roof on fire you will not be able to stay in your home long. I don't even think steel roofs would help much as the flames would end up in the guttering and catch the roof on fire from underneath.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Fire is the worst of my fears about hunkering down. Doesn't matter how much water and food I have stored if I have to run away like a Monty Phython character.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There are some really good ideas here. Thanks for all the tips.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts