Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Good for you! I also look at it as a way to flip my financial situation next year. My program carries significan debt. It's more debt than many people take on in a mortgage. Going tiny will help it all come out in the wash at the end of the day.
My grandmother (RIP) used to tell me "The choices you make when you are young are the decisions you must live with when you get older." Sounds to me like you are making a good decision, by sacrificing some comfort and space now in order to get out of debt and move forward without having a bank to deal with your whole life.... Good luck with your plans!

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
The "Tiny Homes" are 8' x 15' (120 sq. ft.) have a kitchen, bath, laundry, living area and sleeping loft. They run about $25000 for a completed "Tiny Home" but you can buy them in kit form for less, have then mounted on a trailer chassis or put them on a foundation.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Tiny Texas Houses | Building the Future with the Past

Here is a link to a place that I stopped by and took a look at these cool little creations. I think as a single guy and with a minimalist lifestyle, it would be great.
great link MG! Thanks for posting it. Really good detail too.
The last time I went to SE Asia I saw how little people had to live on and soon realized I had way too much stuff and I live to pay for stuff so I became a minimalist of sorts. Even my storage for my business includes stuff I don't use that I have probably paid for many times over in storage fees. Now if I can't make money with it, I don't buy it. And I am still reducing the clutter. My problem is I don't throw nothing away. I weld, therefore, I am.

punch

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Pharmer14, if you go tiny or at least small, you can always build on. Do the some of the finish work yourself, and save more. I think you're right to go smaller and get out from under your school debt. I have friends that live in a morton building. I have other friends that live above their horse stable where they do training. Until they get better established, they are doing well in their cozy home.
I think we think too much of "keeping up with the Jones' " , rather than what we need. I have a 1200 sq ft home and it's more than I need, but the extra bedroom gives me food storage area. Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Pharmer14, if you go tiny or at least small, you can always build on. Do the some of the finish work yourself, and save more. I think you're right to go smaller and get out from under your school debt. I have friends that live in a morton building. I have other friends that live above their horse stable where they do training. Until they get better established, they are doing well in their cozy home.
I think we think too much of "keeping up with the Jones' " , rather than what we need. I have a 1200 sq ft home and it's more than I need, but the extra bedroom gives me food storage area. Good luck with your choice.
Thanks for the support! I've still got a bit over a year to simmer on the options. I will be a bit of a nomad for the next 13 months or so, and have no idea where I'll end up at the end.

I will definitely continue to research it though and try to keep my options open.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
great link MG! Thanks for posting it. Really good detail too.
The last time I went to SE Asia I saw how little people had to live on and soon realized I had way too much stuff and I live to pay for stuff so I became a minimalist of sorts. Even my storage for my business includes stuff I don't use that I have probably paid for many times over in storage fees. Now if I can't make money with it, I don't buy it. And I am still reducing the clutter. My problem is I don't throw nothing away. I weld, therefore, I am.

punch
I'm doing the same thing and I'm really reducing the clutter and not buying "stuff." I think it's out of boredom and maybe a self reward impulse to buy myself something.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Im well pleased alone in 957 sq feet. 2 bedroom. but i find if i had a second person in my home like a husband, Id need more room- like 1500 sq ft.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Im well pleased alone in 957 sq feet. 2 bedroom. but i find if i had a second person in my home like a husband, Id need more room- like 1500 sq ft.
hahaha.... less is more... I live in a massive house with 2 roommates. They both have significant others within driving distance, so I am alone most of the time. This house is WAY bigger than what I need at this point in my life. A smaller home would be much easier to manage, and allow me to shift my priorities and prep more.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.