Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like most folks, I can't seem to find enough time to bring my prep's to level I want to. I have a wife, 3 kids and in addition to running our ranch I work off the farm. I'm thinking about dedicating one day each month to nothing but prepper activities. Not the normal ranch chores, bringing in firewood, feeding, etc. How do you all find the time and do you have any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
9,178 Posts
Like most, there isn't enough time, but now that I retired and am nearly into new house and new state, maybe I can do better after the New Year.

·
Super Moderator
9,641 Posts
Figure out what needs to be done, in what order to they need to be done and you can get things done a little at a time.

I started just a little at a time. I made many mistakes along the way and had to start over more than a few times. Then I was on my own and had no one to offer suggestions on how to do things. You are the only one that can come up with your priority list. Once you have that then maybe we can help.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
It's always on my mind so I do a little every day. When I go to the market I will grab food I can store that is on sale and get it along with my groceries. If I see something at a garage sale that I think I could use or turn into something useful I will pick it up.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
It's always on my mind so I do a little every day. When I go to the market I will grab food I can store that is on sale and get it along with my groceries. If I see something at a garage sale that I think I could use or turn into something useful I will pick it up.
That is what I do also but after doing this for so many years I no longer know what all I do have. I really need to sit down and make an inventory. I could probably give some things away as I always keep updating things as new products come out. Plus now that my children are all grown (at least on age) my prepping needs have greatly changed.

·
Super Moderator
9,641 Posts
I have my food mostly organized. Some (like the long term stuff) is still kinda spread out. With no more family members living with us, i am tossing and re-arranging. I hope to have it reasonably organized this winter. Including an inventory.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Organization and accurate inventory are my main focus these days. These are competing with regular household projects for time and resources so my solution is to list out and prioritize the household projects, see where the prep needs intersect regular project needs, and prioritize.

Once I have that done I will assign designated time blocks for weekdays and weekends to address the goal. A little at a time is better than paralysis by analysis due to how much there is to be done.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Organization, inventories and prioritization..... you will never be at 100% but that is your goal. I would say water should be your first priority. Trying to design a rainnwater collection system at the moment, but my priority was to get water stored in case something happened tomorrow... so my priority was potable immediate water first then sustainability after I had a one week supply.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts