Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on going to a gun show next week and the three weapons I am looking for are a mosin nagant, a mossberg 590, and a keltec sub 2000 preferably in .40, but I only have enough funds to buy one. Advice on which to choose from.

·
Registered
12,386 Posts
I am planning on going to a gun show next week and the three weapons I am looking for are a mosin nagant, a mossberg 590, and a keltec sub 2000 preferably in .40, but I only have enough funds to buy one. Advice on which to choose from.
I would say any of the 3 that you can find and would be affordable at the gun show. You can get any or all 3 of those you listed cheaper by buying on-line and having it shipped to an FFL near you.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
As somebody who owns more than 20 Mosins, I have to admit that (for the money they cost now) I don't recommend them to preppers... I'd rather steer somebody towards a modern bolt action rifle in .308, something like a Savage Axis which will be similar in cost to the Mosin, but much easier to put optics on.

Of your list, I absolutely would go shotty first.

·
Registered
21,116 Posts
Mossy Shottie

Let it be written, let it be done!

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Take the time to go over to Gunbroker, . . . anytime before going to a show, . . . search and see what the going prices are on whatever you are wanting to buy, . . add 20 for shipping and 30 for the ffl check, . . . and you'll have a good idea of what you can spend at the show and come out even.

But I'm with Salt-N-Pepper, . . . forget the Mosin, . . . go for a bolt action in .308 would be my first choice, . . . 5.56 would be the next choice, . . . and 7.62 x 39 would be my final choice. They are all good choices, . . . . lots of ammo available for each, . . . easy to set up optics, . . . and are good prepper choices.

Again, . . . as he said, . . . if all things are equal, . . . shotgun should be first.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
24,251 Posts
Each man needs thee guns.

22 long rifle. Choose action
12 gauge pump shotgun two barrel bird and slug. Remington 870 or Mossberg pump.
Bolt action rifles in 270 308 or 30_06

After that it is preference

There is no arguing my logic.
What am I supposed to do with the shotgun?

·
Registered
12,471 Posts
If your starting from scratch, shotgun first. Deadly up close and can also get small and medium game. Then where are you? Urban, suburban, rural. Rural then I would go Mosin for the second. Utterly reliable in the most abysmal conditions imaginable. Suburban or Urban and you have a pistol that the Keltaec will accept mags for then it would be number two. Nice to stow when bugging out, if that is your plan so as to stay grey. I purposely stayed on your list.

·
Registered
24,251 Posts
Hint: do not suck start it.
I have a couple, but just because I have a purchasing problem. :tango_face_grin:

A .22 for small game, my .308s or even 5.56's for deer, and the .308 or 5.56 for anything else. Bulk wise, I can carry more shots with cartridges than shells.

Just seems logical, to me. I admit, I could be overlooking something.

·
Registered
12,471 Posts
I have a couple, but just because I have a purchasing problem. :tango_face_grin:

A .22 for small game, my .308s or even 5.56's for deer, and the .308 or 5.56 for anything else. Bulk wise, I can carry more shots with cartridges than shells.

Just seems logical, to me. I admit, I could be overlooking something.
Pheasants and ducks are way easier with a shot gun and it is just as effective with squirrels, rabbits and deer if close in. JMHO. I agree its easier to carry 1000 rounds of 22lr than a thousand shot gun shells. Depends on what the job is like any other tool.

Reactions: Denton

·
Registered
10,647 Posts
Each man needs thee guns.

22 long rifle. Choose action
12 gauge pump shotgun two barrel bird and slug. Remington 870 or Mossberg pump.
Bolt action rifles in 270 308 or 30_06

After that it is preference

There is no arguing my logic.
Good pecking order for long guns. Not sure why anybody would want s bolt action Elk gun but whatever floats the boat.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Mosin nothing to sneeze at and i like having some in my SHTF bag! Simple, powerful rifle.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts