Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
In my bug out bags, I keep a large SOG SEAL Team fixed blade (self-defense and hard use knife), a medium sized SOG SEAL Pup (truly useful for cutting tasks and cleaning game/fish) and a SOG folding pocket knife (large Pentagon Elite lockback spearpoint), along with a SOG Tactical Tomahawk (replica of the Vietnam era tomahawk). The tomahawk is also useful as a meat axe, and for break and rakes, as well as cutting/splitting wood or roots. I really like SOG knives, they are extremely well made, their blade metals hold an edge better than most knives, come with a great guarantee and great customer service, and they aren't ridiculously expensive.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I will have to give some serious though to adding a hawk or small axe to one or more of my bags. I carry a camp axe and mid sized axe along with a shovel in the vehicle. Thats how I went about tying axes and such into my preps. It's a solution as long as I'm around the vehicle, but if I leave...not so much.

I feel the one knife for everything is a myth and as such debunked. I see no reason to prep less than three knives and perhaps I may even need an extra fourth depending on the bag and it's intended use. If I have the opportunity before hand then there should be no reason not to have the bases covered...and not counting the blade in the multitool as one is good advise...thanks all

·
Registered
640 Posts
Honestly, I think your "minimum" for daily carry should be three knives. One high (neck area), one mid (waist area), one at your boots (ankle). So... no matter what position you find yourself in, or where your hands happen to be, you have quick access to a weapon. Add extra's as appropriate in your BOB, BOV, or BOL. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Honestly, I think your "minimum" for daily carry should be three knives. One high (neck area), one mid (waist area), one at your boots (ankle). So... no matter what position you find yourself in, or where your hands happen to be, you have quick access to a weapon. Add extra's as appropriate in your BOB, BOV, or BOL. Just my $.02.
Sorry I have to strongly disagree here on this.
I carry at least two guns & a knife. So it is a trumped three strategy. For the scenario you described.
Add the BOB scenario then my above post would have been added with a rifle.

But being prepare with more than one blade for survival is wise.

·
Registered
640 Posts
IO... you are more than welcome to disagree. However, in many places in public life, you can't carry a gun, but you can carry a knife, or in this case... multiple knives (and they can be legally concealed without a permit). Why depend on only one if things go bad? You carry two guns, why not two knives?

And... for me... I've been through the LE POST knife fighting courses. For LEOs, it's recommended to carry three as the minimum, spread out as I've stated so you can reach at least one in any situation. If the guys that do this on a regular basis carry three... wouldn't that be a great example for those with less experience to learn from? Of course... it was just my $.02. I was merely sharing my thoughts for anyone that wanted them.

·
Registered
640 Posts
OK... I have to do a follow up post. First, to apologize if my last post sounded pissy or offensive. That was not my intent. However, I'm still a little irritated and wanted to get something off my mind.

Folks... the purpose of this forum is to share and exchange information, ideas, thoughts, experiences, etc. It's not be be the one expert that everyone has to listen to. I merely gave an opinion based on my experiences and the response was "I strongly disagree." It wasn't: This doesn't work in my case. It wasn't: "I disagree and here's why...". It was just a plain "Strongly" disagree as if my advice or experience is wrong and IO had the right answer. It may be the right answer for IO, but that doesn't mean we should be shutting down other peoples advice or experience just because it doesn't work for us. When someone posts something, take it or leave it as you wish. Share your experiences for others... but don't flat out try and shut them down. (IO... that may not have been your intent... but that is the way I read it.)

I think what was really confusing to me, IO, is that you state you carry at least two guns and a knife with you on a daily basis, wherever you go. Then, you add a rifle in a BOB scenario. On duty, I carry two guns (a primary and a backup). Daily, I carry one or none depending on where I'm at (unfortunately, I work on a military base and can't carry there). Most people have similar issues and have limits on public places where they can carry. For you, two guns and a knife work. For others, like me, it does not. Why would you strongly disagree with me doing what works best for me and condemn my offering that advice to others?

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Woadwarrior,
While where you live it may be possible to carry knives as weapons you should understand that the case is different in many places.
Your strategy is fine and may even be legal where you live but in Seattle any fixed blade knife is illegal to carry - classified as a dangerous weapon. Any folding knife that is over six inches overall length when open falls under the same classification. Then the rest of the law states that any knife carried as a weapon is illegal which extends to stars - even very small ones, spikes, and needles that are associated with martial arts. I could get caught with a very small folding knife in my pocket and be fine but if I had two more they would be confiscated and I could be charged with carrying a "dangerous" weapon. This in a state where it is legal to carry open - walk down the street with a gun in a holster in plain view and in spite of the fact that I have a concealed carry permit. I could be arrested for carrying a butter knife but not for the gun.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Look Roadwarrior I usually don't apologize for anything, my advice was also what works for me. Take it or leave it is up to you.
For the scenario that was was brought up that was my take on things. Regardless or your special training or mine.
I wasn't really trying to ruffle your feathers or to get this thread off track.

As such I'm done with this thread.
back to the original discussion.
Sorry Seneca for the thread jack.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Woadwarrior,
I do appreciate your input...and it is of value. It's the tool aspect of knives that I want to explore. As example if all I had for a knife was a Becker BK2, I could probably cut myself out of a shipping container and then baton a log and build a fire. But I'd have a heck of a time slicing tomatoes or peeling potatoes with it. Obviously another type or style of knife is best suited for that. I've whittled it down (pun?) to three basic types or styles of knives that would do most cutting chores I might encounter. I thought the points you made were good ones, and as such would be very interested in a thread about the how to's or defense from knives.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
The ESEE 5 has a neat feature, a bowdrill socket in the handle. I have an ESEE 5 and it's a brute of a knife. I've never had a need to use the bow drill socket. I can and have made fire with a bow drill, just not with the ESEE 5.

I have a couple of US Schrade Old Timer pocket knives that are in good shape but since Schrade has gone Chinese, I've retired them and currently carry a production Case CV pocket knife instead. There are a lot of good options when it comes to the mid size full tang belt knife...I'm looking at a few, there are too many to mention.

·
Registered
28 Posts
In this order

Cold Steel Trail Master

Blackjack Model 1-7

Buck 110

Thats what I got and thats all I think I need-[for now]

John

PS almost forgot I got a Leatherman Wave also

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
3 knife minimum,
If you only find 2 knives on my wife you haven't looked hard enough.

I usually have a cheaper but sturdy one with me.
Challenge accepted! :)

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Oh, now you've done it. A redhead? I promise that I would survive, or die a happy man. :)

Spokes - just to fill you in, I have a "little redhead" fantasy and it is a standing joke with my kids and even my wife gets in on it.
When I told her about this she just laughed hard and said "there you go..."

There is no "little red-haired girl" that would ever fill the fantasy so your wife is safe. It's just funny that this all came up.

Let her know that I already like her.

Reactions: spokes

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
That's not fair! How can I make suggestive (kidding) comments when I'm not sure if its you or her? ;)

Most wives that use the site just identify as MrsXXXX. That way we don't think their husbands are schizophrenic or bisexual. (kidding)

We are pretty good about keeping things cool on the board. We treat women with all due respect (most of us) and (most of the time).

·
Registered
161 Posts
Every person in our little prepper group carries an assortment of knives. We have every thing from multi-tool pocket knives to a claymore sword. I personally carry a 3.5" SOG lock blade at all times and have two fixed blades in each of my packs and vehicles. I also carry a fillet knife in each pack. One can never have too many options when it comes to good quality steel.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts