·
Registered
2,680 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
566 Posts
What do you plan to do with the rifle?

What's wrong with a .300 win mag or even a .30-06? 180gr 300 win mag is an absolute scorcher. .30-06 is proven and (usually) plentiful. .338 is going to be expensive to shoot, even if you reload.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
With Remington going bankrupt I would have to pass.

Check the ballistics out to a thousand yards vs the 300 win mag. Do you actually want that much more rifle?

·
Administrator
15,262 Posts
I'm not that familiar with Lapua rounds.
I know they are foreign, do any domestic manufacturers make it?
Biden has already said he's going to outlaw importation of guns and ammo.

It would be a bitch to own a rifle you can not get ammo for.

Reactions: Slippy

·
Registered
229 Posts
So two separate things: platform and caliber.

I used to have a remington 700 and I loved it. Amazing rifle, simple design (based on the Mauser action). I would trust it any day. I since sold the 700 (didn't shoot it enough to justify it sitting in the safe) and picked up the Howa1500... Same tack driver. Anyways I digress... 700 is an amazing rifle.
Regarding the Lapua round - it all depends on what you wanna use it for.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I'm not being a d**k but if you have to ask about this - it's not for you. Shooters who are considering said tool know if they need it. As others mentioned, start with 30.06.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Own m24 and also own a 338 Lapua . Different plat forms different work. The M24 most often is a 308. It can not come close to what the RPR in 338 will do. One is easy to carry the outer a ton. One easier to get ammo for the other hard and costly. 99% chance you will never fire a 338 at 1/2 the range it can be effectively used. 308 M24 unlikely you will use it at its real limits.
M24's Military had a good number of them. Many in inventory were barely used and in good shape . Remington took some of the back and they were factory refurbished. Then sold.
That was how I got mine 30 years latter a RPR 338 was half the cost. I would not want the 338 in 700 platform.

·
Registered
229 Posts
so here's something else... 338 has an extreme range BUT how good of a shot are you? How good is your glass? How much are you willing to spend on the glass? To a degree, when you spend money on the rifle, if it's a long range one, expect to spend almost double that on glass.

One of the reasons I sold my 700 was the fact that between the rilfe, stock and glass I had about $3K in it and while I could shoot it up to a 1000m (and it was hard!) my Howa 1500 with glass cost me altogether $1K and I tried it so far up to 750m. Might need to upgrade the glass to reach out to 1000m I will be still well below $3K.

So that's the question that you have to ask yourself - how good of a shot are you? There is no sense investing into a rifle that can shoot 1750m if you can't shoot 1000m. Also if you have no plans to invest into $2000+ (probably closer to $3000+) glass again, think twice. Lastly ammo availability and price. Lapua ammo is EXPENSIVE. 308 on the other hand is less expensive of a round and more available in either new manufacture or surplus.

So look at the whole package....

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Pick a spot and a friend. get you range finder out and have the friend start walking . Watch at what distances you lose sight and the regain it. And when just gone. You will not likely get many shots at anywhere near the distance you dream of. Just another reason Military for standard issue place focus on less than 500 yards. Sure they designated marksman and in some case snipers. You will often find the designated marks when used in over watch and elevated when ever possible. Our place is consider flat by most .
But it you scan out 900 yards there are many dead spots. Use to be there were a few 1,000 yard ranges around . Not anymore they have shut down and or restricted to under 500 yards. So the chance to even test your skills or the weapon become a major chore.
Now to shoot 600-1,000 yards I must travel 150 miles one way. It has to be arranged in advance. And shots are over 2-3 ridges to get the distance.
The terrain is never as flat as it seems. The head stones are 900 or mare yards . But I bet 50% of that distance you would not even see a person or small vehicle if they did not want to be seen.
SIMA0002.jpg

Reactions: Wedrownik
1 - 14 of 14 Posts