Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Colorado where snares are illegal (we can only use live traps) unless you have a fur-bearers license... and even then, the state preference is for steel traps.

I've been trying to learn to build and set snares... but you can only learn so much by assembling and then disassembling them. You never really know if you did it right until you actually use them. So... I wonder if anyone has figured out a way to get a state to issue a temporary permit of some type for using snares. And no... I don't have the money to pretend I'm a production company filming a survival show... or to do it for real. :-D

I'm wondering if anyone has had any success and if so, how? The best idea I can come up with is to try for an educational exemption. For example... as part of a survival school training program. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7,968 Posts
Here in Michigan, 1/16" wire snares are legal for coyote anytime they're doing damage or about to do damage. With or without a trapping license/permit.

·
Registered
296 Posts
My uncle taught me with feeder rabbits for his massive snakes . . . They wouldnt be harmed at all just persuaded to go a certain way then we could see if the snare we built worked or not? Than of course they were realeased into the snake pin, I was pretty young than and not to sure on the "Morally Correct" route or not

I guess if it was a pet rabbit or something cared for/taken of than trained with the snares would be one thing I mean the steers used for roping and bulldogging get slammed around and than feed and watered?

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
what uncle sam don't know won't hurt him. Set some snares, come check them like you're just happening by don't wear the same shoes cover your tracks ect. Same as a DNR agent could accuse you, you could just deny it and it'll get thrown out of court bigtime. Dress in a sweater and slacks, wear the wrong kind of shoes, like loafers or sneakers and act like you and a pal are just heading that way on a whim. They got nothing if you don't leave fingerprints on the line or tackle. I myself could PROBABLY trap small Caucasian children with my special LIC because it grants me full rights to do anything and even some you cant without a sportsman's license. Now I would be like "oh, tut-tut you should play by the rules wah wah wah-wh-wah" because a certain amount of professionalism is expected of me as a moderator of this site. But, as a prepper and a dead-flat realist, I see no sense in telling you that it would be wrong to trap 'under the radar' because that is a skill they regulated for damn good reason and it's not a good one. It used to be a man could trap his land and feed himself. They began adding tons of trapping regs even in an era where it posed no major threat and populations weren't even close to what we have today. Trapping was one of the first regulated game taking activities and that is because it was easy to put food on the table. The gov't and its British banking masters had dealt with such a loss of income due to it they began regulating it through agents abroad until they saw an increase on their ledgers that was favorable and continue to do it to this day. You see it in Michelle Obama, Monsanto, the FDA and most wildlife and parks divisions. One big secret about the luminaries that knew where this place was before they handed it off to Columbus was that the new world was positively teeming with meat.

Try practicing it with dummy triggers like throwing a stick at first and set a few lines I say. Make sure it's a place only you go or that is fairly out of the way. And like I said, go back as a separate persona and just check it out from a distance, maybe poke it with a stick a few times and move on just to scope things out. I am highly doubting a team of rangers (they arent cops after all) would spend the time let alone find the trap to set up a sting and bust you for poaching a rabbit only to grant a 1000 dollar ticket at the very most. They got drug growers and people burying bodies to worry about and that ISN'T if they aren't looking for a lost hiker or fixing something broken while undermanned and overworked. I am just doubting you'll run into trouble practicing trapping if you play it close to the chest.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Leon.. that's an interesting thought. And since this is a public forum... I'll "officially" say that I am leaving it as a thought. Now, I just have to find some loafers.... :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts