Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,514 Posts
If you've watch any of Dr A Bradley's videos, he demonstrated that using a ham handie-talkie inside a wrapped radio so see if it would receive an RF signal from another radio on the same frequency implied it would show if the shielding was capable of protecting electonics.
Here is a screen shot from onw of his books, showing the shielding effectiveness (dB) of various methods of shileding electronics.
As you can see, the metal tape sealed metal garbage can had the highest shileding if all across all the electromagnetic spectrum. As I mentioned before, I use the triple aluminum foil/plastic insulting barrier wrap. Then it goes into my tape sealed garbage can. What is note worthy is that the good doctor's anti-static bag had a lower value that the aluminum foil.

Rectangle Font Pattern Parallel Circle

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
If you've watch any of Dr A Bradley's videos, he demonstrated that using a ham handie-talkie inside a wrapped radio so see if it would receive an RF signal from another radio on the same frequency implied it would show if the shielding was capable of protecting electonics.
Here is a screen shot from onw of his books, showing the shielding effectiveness (dB) of various methods of shileding electronics.
As you can see, the metal tape sealed metal garbage can had the highest shileding if all across all the electromagnetic spectrum. As I mentioned before, I use the triple aluminum foil/plastic insulting barrier wrap. Then it goes into my tape sealed garbage can. What is note worthy is that the good doctor's anti-static bag had a lower value that the aluminum foil.

View attachment 115024
ya, I was wondering if the steel drum would be similar to the garbage can, but bigger interior volume….

·
Registered
142 Posts
I've used an EMF meter while running my microwave and the meter does pick up a big spike. I'm not 100% sure but I think that means the microwave is not in fact keeping the microwaves in. Unless the EMF meter is picking up the electric motor in the microwave, and not the microwave energy?
Exactly, the Electro-magnetic frequency meter that you have just detects the presence of power not specifically microwaves. You could tell if your microwave was leaking because you would feel the radiant heat

21 - 23 of 23 Posts