Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
11,025 Posts
False.

How can I prove it? Simple. Look inside a microwave when it's running. See anything inside? Sure you do... there's little holes in the door. Heck, there's even a light bulb inside the thing to make it easier.

Those holes stop microwaves but allow light to pass through. Microwaves are a lower frequency than light, so the holes will only block low frequencies. Those same holes will allow higher freqeuncies to pass through, and it's those higher frequencies that will damage electronics.
TBF, @Mr.penguin did only claim it would stop microwaves.
That would technically qualify as a faraday cage.
Then it's a matter of whether it blocks the intended frequencies, which haven't been specified from what I can tell.

·
Super Moderator
11,025 Posts
All fine and dandy. But if there's a large enough burst of microwave energy strong enough to fry your electronics, are you gonna survive the event?
OP hasn't mentioned what he's trying to protect against.

·
Super Moderator
11,025 Posts
Well, considering it's about faraday cages, it's safe to say........ maybe......... possibly............. an EMP?
It's speculative.
There are lots of reasons to use a faraday cage.
But EMP may be the reason. Until the OP lets us know, guess away.

Just the same, Mr. Penguin's statement was indeed true.

·
Super Moderator
11,025 Posts
I've used an EMF meter while running my microwave and the meter does pick up a big spike. I'm not 100% sure but I think that means the microwave is not in fact keeping the microwaves in. Unless the EMF meter is picking up the electric motor in the microwave, and not the microwave energy?
To know that, you'd need to know if your EMF meter is a broadband or selective measuring device. Can you set a frequency range? If so, set it for 2.45Ghz and see if you detect anything outside the microwave oven while running it. If you do, you have a faulty oven and should replace it.
If you can't select a frequency range, your detector is capable of picking up a very large range of the EM spectrum. Knowing what it's detecting would be difficult to nail down in that case.

·
Super Moderator
11,025 Posts
the idea is to save some comms and solar generators/panels. That way I’d have some power for comms lights etc. things I won’t need infrastructure for.

yes, emp was my main concern.
Appreciate the clarification!

·
Super Moderator
11,025 Posts
I've used aluminum foil with pretty good success. but I fold the edges over and really put pressure on the folds. I do 3 folds per seam. For real protection, I wrap that package in heavy (4 mil plastic) and then do another layer of foil, the same way. Then I do another layer of plastic and another layer of foil.
This nesting method is the best way to give yourself a solid chance of your equipment surviving if you have no real means of testing. Solid advice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts